Notices

Im building a manifold Questions guys question???

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 11:57 AM
Rocks

Default Im building a manifold Questions guys question???

Im trying to build a mani for my 90 240sx ka24e . I found the flange for the mani a steel 1/2 flange for 59$ I want a manifold like the one below. How difficutlt would it be to build?
Old 08-06-2004, 11:58 AM
Rocks

Default Re: Im building a manifold Questions guys question??? (Rocks)

Here is the flange im going to buy
Old 08-06-2004, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What material are you going to use for the tubes?
What is the exh port diameter on those flanges?
Are you planning on building a merge collector before the turbine flange or are you planning on building a simple log style manifold?

Have you TIG welded before? It can be MIG'ed but using TIG would yeild better resutls and a nicer appearance.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:04 PM
Rocks

Default Re: Im building a manifold Questions guys question??? (BROOD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BROOD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What material are you going to use for the tubes?
Are you planning on building a merge collector before the turbine flange?

Have you TIG welded before?</TD></TR></TABLE> No I havent even welded before but Im going to have my friends dad help me since he's a professional welder. Im going to try to make the rest out of T304 Stainless Steel
Old 08-06-2004, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

youve never welded before, but you are making a manifold. this should be interesting . POst pics when your done.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:08 PM
Rocks

Default Re: Im building a manifold Questions guys question??? (itr206)

Im not making the manifold I dont even know how to weld . My friends dad is a professional welder and he has both a tig and a mig welder. His tig is in his shop his mig is at home.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:10 PM

Go for it........I'm all for the DIY manifolds.
Even if you are not welding the manifold up....I suggest you fit the tubes yourself or at least help out with it...you will learn alot about fab

Use the heavier wall 304 weld ells (40 awg) that you can source from McMaster Carr or a local industrial plumbing supply.
When you fit the ells up make sure the gaps are as tight as possible before TIG welding them up. The green zirc alum grinding disks will be your best friends.
Use a heavy backup plate or old cyl head to bolt the head flange to while welding it up...it helps with flange distortion from the weld head. A weld jig is probably the best to build off of.
similar to this
Old 08-06-2004, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so you might want to rephrase.. . . "My friends dad is trying to make me a manifold, what is needed" or whatever
Old 08-06-2004, 12:16 PM
Rocks

Default Re: Im building a manifold Questions guys question??? (itr206)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr206 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so you might want to rephrase.. . . "My friends dad is trying to make me a manifold, what is needed" or whatever</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup I should have rephrased it . I made another thread like this but I got zero responses because of the title so I just made a new one. I would build a mani like this one but I think a collector is a very hard to build . If I could find a place that sells prebuilt collectors I would love that. But so far I only found burns stainless who sells em for 350

Old 08-06-2004, 12:18 PM

Cody (lovefab) used to sell premade collectors. He may still offer those. Although I think a collector may be somewhat tall depending on how you are going to run the tubes.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im building a manifold Questions guys question??? (BROOD)

check with Cody
Old 08-06-2004, 12:41 PM

If you are going to make an inverted manifold like that, the outer pipes should also loop downwards so you have room fo your downpipe. And someone should make the collector "shell", like I have on my new manifold:

Old 08-06-2004, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Im building a manifold Questions guys question??? (beepy)

I'd definitely be interested in seeing the end product. I think it would be pretty simple if your friends dad is a pro welder and he doesn't mind helping you and possibly having your car there for a couple days. There is bound to be some kind of snag, since neither of you have made a manifold for this car before. If you're really careful (measuring 4 times on different days, to make sure your mind isn't filled with ****, as happens to me) I bet you, yourself, could tack it together. Then, your friends dad could weld it up all perty when you're sure it fits!

I'm planning on buying an s13 in the near future (in spite of it's band-wagon status) and will probably make my own manifold. Also, I am probably going to make one for my dad's 2003 Accord, since I don't think anyone makes one specifically for his car, and I think inverted would work well, since the k-series motors are 'flipped' with the exhaust on the back. So, get crackin' and show us how it turns out!
Old 08-06-2004, 01:34 PM
Rocks

Default Re: Im building a manifold Questions guys question??? (ion_four)

dude Im not on that bandwagon s13 train. I got the car for 900 bucks it runs okay and feel okay it need shocks though but I didint jump on the bandwagon. anyways I think I am going to measure four times and cut once. Thanks for you encouragement dood.