Notices

I'm baffled, throwing a really strange CEL, need help ASAP.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm baffled, throwing a really strange CEL, need help ASAP.

Ok, basically. D16Z6 swap into a 1997 EJ8, OBD1 ECU tuned on crome with all necessary connections. Car is/was running beautifully.

Took it to the dyno Friday night and had some trouble. Bunch of boost leaks and the car was running really really rich at WOT. Finally ended up blowing a coupler and ending my night. We unstrapped the car from the dyno, rolled it out, I payed and went on my way.

Took a left, took a right, drove up the street, heard a loud POP and the CEL came on... car stalled out and died immediately. Ooook? Pulled the car over to the side of the road, looked at everything... no missing visual damage so I turned the key over, engine fired right up and there was NO code. Friend and I waited for about 5 minutes with the car idling, checking things out... car was idling just fine so we drove it back to his house. Just before we got there, the CEL light popped on again. This time the car did not shut off, it was however missing while I tried to accelerate so I pulled it over and turned it off again. Turned on, same thing. No CEL, car ran fine, drove it back to my friends.

I let the car cool there for a few minutes, then went on my back to my house. Car threw the CEL again. I happened to have all of my tuning stuff with me, so I pulled the chip out and plugged the ostrich in. No CEL when I turned the car on, drove it a little ways and it popped up again. This time however, I was able to drive the car with the CEL on without any misfires or hesitation. I babied it home and didn't drive it all weekend.

Today I got in the car and drove it to the gym (with the chip back in it now). No CEL. Got in it, drove it back home, CEL came on about a mile from my house again. Same thing, able to drive it no problem. I got home, turned the car off, grabbed a paperclip to check the code... turned the car on... no code. What the hell!

2 things that I've noticed.
1) CEL only seems to turn on when I come to a stop or am driving slowly. Never accelerating or cruising over 30mph.
2) Engine temp is generally about 190-195 or so when the CEL comes on, which is when the fan comes on I think?

I don't understand how the ECU is not storing the CEL, has anyone run into this issue before or can point me in the right direction as to how to find out what's the deal? Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when the code comes up, dont shut the car off, check the code with the car on.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fast2camciv)

I'm assuming this is done the same way just with the car running? I wasnt' aware that you could do that... when it pops up again I'll do that and go from there. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:28 PM

Default Re: (SovXietday)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SovXietday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm assuming this is done the same way just with the car running? I wasnt' aware that you could do that... when it pops up again I'll do that and go from there. Thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Double click the cell on/off in datalogging on crome and it'll display the codes
Old 06-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ubertec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ubertec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Double click the cell on/off in datalogging on crome and it'll display the codes</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't have Crome Pro, no datalogging. Can I still just plug in a paper clip to the service connection and count the flashes or no?
Old 06-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes you check it just the same as if the car was off, it will still flash...
Old 06-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fast2camciv)

Thanks man. Car is throwing code 8, TDC sensor. I had to repin the distributor and we had to twist the pins a bit to get them to work correctly, they probably got all jossled up when Vince had to fiddle to get the RPM lead off the dist wires.

Thanks guys.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good to hear!