Notices

Ignition Problems with AEM ems

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Problems with AEM ems

Running a Stock B16 Ignition setup with my Civic with the New Series-2 Box, but we have had the car running for about 3-weeks & im on my 2nd Igniter. Not a Big Deal EXCEPT they are $200 + at Honda.

Anyone else having issues OR have had issues with this Before? Or does anybody have anything I could check to try & cure this possible Ongoing Problem?

Thanks!!
Old 05-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ignition Problems with AEM ems

COP with the aem EPM and coils and twinfire will make all that go away but with a hefty price tag. burning out ignitors that quick shouldnt be happening though. do you have the aem setup properly for stock distributor. its been a long time since i dicked around with aem software and the new stuff im not familiar with so the exact settings im unsure of.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah the Tuner Software is alot different than the series-1. its a stock distributor, I just wish I didnt have to drop $1k-$3k on a coil-on-plug Ignition setup. T1 Racing Development has a sick cam-trigger setup but its way Pricey!!
Old 05-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you dont need the hall trigger form t1 you can just run the aem Engine Position module (EPM) it replaces the distributor then you run coils for each cylinder and a twin fire
Old 05-20-2010, 02:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use an EPM with k-series coil packs and make a mount plate to hold them onto the valve cover, you will be able to go COP and have no distributor/ignitor. Its cheap and I have made close to 750 whp with the set-up on 2 separate cars with zero issues. The jumpers in the box have to be moved for the coil trigger edge and cam/crank patterns, but its still pretty straight forward. You can stay inductive and if you can do the wiring work yourself the price tag is around $500.00 with the coils and EPM. I have done about 10 cars total using them to date and all are still running reliable with it.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosted hybrid
Use an EPM with k-series coil packs and make a mount plate to hold them onto the valve cover, you will be able to go COP and have no distributor/ignitor.
Just to be clear, your running EPM with K series coils without a twin fire ?
So your using the 4 coil outputs on the ems to drive the coils? Isnt that a little dangerous?

Any way we can get a diagram/writeup on this? I'm pretty confident with my wiring skills, and i happen to be in the same City as the OP, so maybe I can test it out on his car

ever wired up a 30-1000 box with this setup? (3 coil outputs)
Old 05-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why would it be dangerous? lol
Old 05-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EFbomb
Just to be clear, your running EPM with K series coils without a twin fire ?
So your using the 4 coil outputs on the ems to drive the coils? Isnt that a little dangerous?

Any way we can get a diagram/writeup on this? I'm pretty confident with my wiring skills, and i happen to be in the same City as the OP, so maybe I can test it out on his car

ever wired up a 30-1000 box with this setup? (3 coil outputs)
K-series/F-series (s2000) coils are inductive and have a built-in ignitor, they do not need a CDI box inline. You actually cannot use a CDI box inline with them at all. You will have to go wastegate spark with the 30-1000 box and use 2 coil outputs. I have no wire schematics on how to wire it, look at a factory RSX manual and you'll see how the factory wires them...is the same way with the EMS.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosted hybrid
K-series/F-series (s2000) coils are inductive and have a built-in ignitor, they do not need a CDI box inline. You actually cannot use a CDI box inline with them at all. You will have to go wastegate spark with the 30-1000 box and use 2 coil outputs. I have no wire schematics on how to wire it, look at a factory RSX manual and you'll see how the factory wires them...is the same way with the EMS.
I get it now. thanks for the info. I will likely try this soon, Maybe the OP will let me try this on his car before i try it on my hatch.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You guys know where I can gather all the info for this setup? I tried searching but I cant find anything useful