Water/ Methonal Injection

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water/ Methonal Injection

I am going to run the aem water/ methonal kit for high boost only. It will be turned on from my Hondata s300.. meaning it will be actived turn on when i see anything over 15psi.. But the issue that i am having is.. where to shoot it in.. I was going to spray it into the intake piping right before the throttle body.. I am open for suggestions where to spray it...

Has anybody used there kit and liked it? I have read about people using it.. and scared about the pump going out on them... and all that stuff.. but i am going to run this kit because i trust the set up and i am going to be very careful. Does anybody have any input how well it works.. cause i can't find really about that has actually used it.. meaning honda guys..

thanks
Old 03-25-2010, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Water/ Methonal Injection

there kit is over priced and yes you put it right infront of the throttle body, unless you want direct port
Old 03-25-2010, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lyncoors
there kit is over priced and yes you put it right infront of the throttle body, unless you want direct port
Really there kit is over priced.. I am not going to cheap out on stufff.. but I am just trying to figure out what is a kit that people have used that works well.. The main reason why i havent bought a water/methonal kit is because i have not really heard good and bad.. and i might have to be the one that will figure out if the aem kit is what its suppose to be.. awesome..
Old 03-25-2010, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there all good some what, i just never heard of anyone using it. coolingmist and DO are the most common and thats what they specialize in only. i looked up a aem kit and they use the old style shurflo pump(150psi) kit is very basic. now w/i companies use 200psi pumps.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check out Bisimoto's thread. I'm not sure whether there is any actual information in there, but at the very least there is a lot of puffery about every product he used in the build, including the AEM water/methanol kit.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i will.. some reason.. i just like the aem.. kit... and plus i will buy the extra stuff as well like the guage and the filter
Old 03-26-2010, 09:27 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I'd also look into the Aquamist water injection kit as well. I've seen them very easy to integrate
Old 03-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I'd also look into the Aquamist water injection kit as well. I've seen them very easy to integrate

yeah... i am still looking for a kit period.. but i am so unsure now.. i was so set on the aem kit... but i am now.. second guessing about the kit now.. damn it sucks...
Old 03-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

An Aquamist kit with their High Speed Valve is the MOST mappable setup money can buy (albeit it requires a significant amount of money to do so!).
Old 03-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just want to know which kit will be best to tune with hondata s300.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic-r11
I just want to know which kit will be best to tune with hondata s300.
any really, you dont need anything fansy because your s300 has its own failsafe
Old 03-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So the aem is not a kit to get. Or it doesnt matter since I am using s300?
Old 03-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic-r11
So the aem is not a kit to get. Or it doesnt matter since I am using s300?
with DO or CM base kit your getting a better kit for almost 1/2 the price but it doesnt matter what kit you dont need to pay extra for failsafe features becuase you have a 100% better failsafe built in your ecu. i recommend a base kit.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the AEM kit installed and going to be running it on my civic this coming season.

If you have an intercooler you want it mounted between the cold side of the FMIC and the throttle body. I put it in the middle of my BOV and Throttle body just like Bisimoto did.

Get a bung, weld it in at a slight angle FACING the flow of air coming to get better atomization.

Here you see (from left to right) my TiAL Flange, Meth Injection bung, and then my IAT sensor.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Stiffdogg, nice avatar!

Anyway, everything you said is still true with the other kits, but the higher workable pressures of the other kits probably means that they have better atomization.

A base kit probably can do a good job for you unless you want to use the methanol/water to spool your turbo, and then it helps to have a progressive controller of some sort so you can start with a small injection volume at 1psi or whatever and ramp it up with boost.

If you don't need to do that, a base kit works well in that you set it to come on just before the detonation threshold, and it supplies the biggest amount of detonation suppressing injectant by proportion right around peak torque. After that, it decreases by proportion, which is fine. As the RPMs go up, detonation becomes less of a problem than it was around peak torque, so a reduced proportion of injectant is fine.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i always just thread the coldside pipe. never used a bung
Old 03-27-2010, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tjabo
Stiffdogg, nice avatar!

Anyway, everything you said is still true with the other kits, but the higher workable pressures of the other kits probably means that they have better atomization.

A base kit probably can do a good job for you unless you want to use the methanol/water to spool your turbo, and then it helps to have a progressive controller of some sort so you can start with a small injection volume at 1psi or whatever and ramp it up with boost.

If you don't need to do that, a base kit works well in that you set it to come on just before the detonation threshold, and it supplies the biggest amount of detonation suppressing injectant by proportion right around peak torque. After that, it decreases by proportion, which is fine. As the RPMs go up, detonation becomes less of a problem than it was around peak torque, so a reduced proportion of injectant is fine.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I used it on my 4g63 for 2 seasons, I ran straight meth. I liked it, worked fine.

I would suggest doing 2 nozzles, always use 2 small nozzles, rather then 1 larger. I had my EMS trigger the pump as well. I had it come on at 7psi, used it all the time.

There isn't as much information on Honda forums with regards to water/meth kits, seem not as many Honda guys use them. There is some good pre-compressor meth injection testing over on dsmtuners.com. It seems like your a rookie, so I would just stick to 12" pre throttle body.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looking at this thread, how does the s300 have a fail safe? how does it link with the meth kit? thank you
Old 05-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can get a pressure switch on the line after your pump and when your pressure drops .. switch turns on or off.. you need to run that as a input to you s300 or w.e you are using. some set ups you can just run that to your boost controller can adjust boost based on your pressure
Old 05-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another way is this: The AEM has some failsafes built into the controller as well as a failsafe output. That is connected to my S300 to activate the secondary tables through the PSP (B8) pin. When the AEM controller detects a fault with it's own system, it triggers the S300 to switch to the secondary tables to fuel tuning and ignition timing that is safe for non-water injected running.