Notices

Ignition... Maybe stuck valve?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition... Maybe stuck valve?

this is a long story but read through because its pretty interesting. i guess a lil info on the setup may help. 84 darton sleeved gsr, 10:1 c/r pistons, b16a head with 1mm oversized intake and .5mm oversized exhaust, igntion is composed of msd sci, msd cap, msd blaster ss coil, ngk wires, ngk 6 heat range plugs.

ok, after driving yesterday i started to hear my motor tick... brand new head.. shouldnt be ticking, so i get all worried and start to investigate. the motor is was only running on 3 cylinders (that was figured out when i took the wire off the spark plug in the #1 cylinder and the motors tone or the way it was running didnt change.) but i do know that i am getting spark to at least the spark plug, so then i thought maybe the cold spark plug has fouled out, replace it with others, move it to different cylinders, clean it... problem stayed in cylinder 1. well none of that worked, so i was like, well lemme check the valve clearence for ***** and giggles, so for some reason 1 of the exhaust rockers was really far off, even though i adjusted it the other day, so im like, thats wierd but it explains all my problems. so i adjust it, put everything back together... still only running on 3 cylinders but my ticking is gone. so i take back apart, and check the clearence again, just to be safe.... it was way loose again, so im like wtf... so i adjust it again, crank it up, still running on 3, so i take it apart again, now its way to tight... blowing my mind, so i adjust and it say f' it and go to drive home, well on the way home it ran like ****, then outta know where it started running fine, then it ran like ****, then it ran fine again, but before i got home it felt like it was down to only running on 2 cylinders. so i think it may be a sticking valve or msd... any ideas?
Old 07-23-2006, 09:56 AM

oh yes, not to mention that it was backfireing pretty often, almost like there was unburnt fuel in the cylinder and plug would actually ignite he fuel once in a while... and then pah! backfire.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Ignition... Maybe stuck valve? (turbodohcsi)

You shouldnt adjust valves when they are warm or hot...only when the motor is dead cold! best to do it in the monring after its been sitting all night...i would double check ur distributor, rotor, cap, all wiring, coil, ignitor and plugs. What are u gapped at?
Old 07-23-2006, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Ignition... Maybe stuck valve? (iBrandon)

yeah, well my motor wasnt hot, and i typically wouldnt do it after turning it over for a second, but i was in a parking lot trying to get home, ya know? and see if its the msd coil or msd ignition im not really sure how to check them other than replacing them, and the cap seems to fine, the rotor still looks new, i forget what i gapped the plugs too, whatever stock is, wireing seems to be good.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Ignition... Maybe stuck valve? (turbodohcsi)

change it back to stock ignition and see if it makes a difference
Old 07-23-2006, 03:44 PM

anybody else?