Notices

Ignition Coil crapped out on my on the HWY..

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Coil crapped out on my on the HWY..

Lets start off w/ my new setup..

84.5mm sleeved GSR
CP pistons
Eagle rods
RLD ramhorn mani & 38mm tail
RPS clutch
Fullrace T3t67
Precision 600 FMIC
hondata s200b & 750 RC's
quaife
3" dp & full exhaust , all in an EG..

I was on the freeway yesterday cruising and getting on the throttle in 3rd and 4th gear to see what the car had.. I gotta say, this turbo screams and the car is so much faster than my previous setup w/ an SC61..

Anyway, after a couple pulls in 3rd and 4th gear, my car backfired once, but it was still okay.. I continued to cruise for about another mile and got on the throttle again.. It pulled hard again, but after I let off the throttle I noticed that the car had no power, I down shifted and still nothing.. That's when i realized something had happened.. Luckily i was in the outside lane and was able to pull off the hwy up the off ramp to a safe location away from the traffic.

I got out and looked things over to see if any thing was out of wack.. Everything looked fine, no blown fuses, plug wires entacted, etc.. the car would prime , but would not start when i turned the key.. So i knew the coil was shot, but I didn't have an extra one w/ me on the hwy.. Once i got the car towed home, i pulled the stock coil and it was all crusty brown from burning out.. the metal shield for the coil, terminals, and screw holding the rotor also looked corroded from the heat and sparks..

I was suprised to see this happen since it never done this b4 while driving hard.. Luckily I had a spare MSD blaster coil on hand, hooked it up, and the car started right up..

Another suprising thing I noticed when i looked at the motor was that the hose going to my catch can closer to the alternator blew off from the boosting and spit oil all over my fire wall and undercarriage.. I probably lost about 1/2 qt of oil from that.. As far as I can remember, I had a clamp on it, but it still blew off, I must have just slid it on and didn't use a screw clamp to hold it down..

All in all it was quite the thrill..
Old 08-31-2006, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ignition Coil crapped out on my on the HWY.. (92HB_HB)

ahhh the wonderful headaches the turbocharger gives us.. it never ends. good luck; glad to hear its running strong. What kind of boost are you seeing?