Notices

Ignition breaks up when car is shaken

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition breaks up when car is shaken

Yeah, this is a weird one for sure! I was going home easy when I gave a little gas and tried to build a little boost, then it all cut out. It seemed like at the spark plugs went numb. It idled back and seemed OK. After fooling around with it I noticed that any jostle to the engine like a door slamming, bump in the road or hood slammed down the revs seemed to go up then back down again and the CEL would pop up. It gave me code 68 which means.......well nothing...maybe I read it wrong. On a side note twice I pulled over and the #4 sprak plug wire had come out and I was def running on three cylinders. The next few times I hit a bump or somethin the spark plug wire didn't come out. All I had to do was shut the car off and back on and that fixed the problem. My ignition setup is stock as a rock for 68k miles and my number 4 plug looks fine. Any suggestions on what i should do or look for. It's so strange how this only occurs when it's jostled!?!?
Old 06-30-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Ignition breaks up when car is shaken (adseguy)

I just went out for another drive (even though I'm at work ) and everything was OK until I hit a small bump in the road, then bam the ignition cut out a little and the CEL immediatly went on. I checked the code on the spot and got 68 AGAIN!...wtf is that. Maybe I'm supposed to ignore the first one that means I got 58 and that is TDC sensor #2...what then and would that cause the ignition break up. Cap? Distributor? Coil? Am I a dumbass? Thanks for your help guys

Modified by adseguy at 3:27 PM 6/30/2005
Old 06-30-2005, 02:03 PM

I've had this happen to me before. . .but my plugs were extremely fouled.

lol - it seemed to happen more on "left turns" and I still have no clue why. . .the car would even die at the worst point.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:19 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its obvious something is loose or there is a short somewhere. what kind of plug wires are you running?
Old 06-30-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Ignition breaks up when car is shaken (Muckman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its obvious something is loose or there is a short somewhere. what kind of plug wires are you running?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Muckman is usually right ...I pushed any connection under my hood that I could before I left work thinking this might be the problem as well. Well I was able to rev all the way to 7k and full boost I even purposley hit some bumps and nothing happened. Woo hoo
Old 06-30-2005, 06:17 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Occam's Razor - the simplest explination is usually correct.