Notices

IAT gauge?? Usefull, or useless??

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IAT gauge?? Usefull, or useless??

I was kicking around the idea of somehow making up an IAT sensor gauge. Could be usefull when paired up with an egt and a/f gauge. Or even just to see how efficient your IC is, or to see how well an IC water spray system might work. Etc. etc.
I know its pointless for the guys who have datalogging on the haltec, hondata, ems systems.
What do you all think about this idea? I think the IAT sensor gives out 5v readings to the ecu, so wouldnt it be possible to convert it to air temps on a gauge somehow? Which gauge to use?? Does the coolant sensor work on 5v too?

Sorry if this seems stupid, but think about how cool it would be to have one more guage in the car like this.
Old 07-13-2002, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IAT gauge?? Usefull, or useless?? (93LSivic)

Useless I guess......
Old 07-13-2002, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It usefull in testing on the dyno we keep our air temps as cold as possible really not beneficial in real world driving since you cant reall do ntohign about the air that outside. i guess you can just drive faster and faster and cool the air.
Old 07-13-2002, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, I've always thought it would be a very useful gauge. I think it's of more use to the JRSC guys who lack an intercooler because the effect of interim fixes can be easily observed and you can keep track of just how heat soaked everything is.

I never realized how hot the JRSC setup got until I got my Hondata. This was at 6psi, too.

Sonny

[Modified by Sonny, 6:06 PM 7/13/2002]
Old 07-13-2002, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IAT gauge?? Usefull, or useless?? (Sonny)

Holy crap. I didnt think sc's pushed that much hot air! No wonder an aftercooler sc makes so much more power.
Damn, I think I remember running my car at 90 degrees or so on the IAT from the hondata. Heatsoak would goto 160 at redlights.

So this would be a usefull gauge. Now what to use. What gauge runs off of 5 volts and converts to a temp output???? Hmm. Need to do some more research on this....
Old 07-13-2002, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i thought that i might do this do, because i'll be runnign water/alcohol injection and i'm curios to see how much of a difference the intake temps. are with and without. i also thought it would be a good way to make sure it's working! but it may be overkill...everything should be refelcted in the egt temps anyway. still undecided.
Old 07-13-2002, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: IAT gauge?? Usefull, or useless?? (downpipe)

i thought that i might do this do, because i'll be runnign water/alcohol injection and i'm curios to see how much of a difference the intake temps. are with and without. i also thought it would be a good way to make sure it's working! but it may be overkill...everything should be refelcted in the egt temps anyway. still undecided.
This would be the PERFECT scenerio to install one. That way you can tell your system is even WORKING, and most importantly, If your out of water!