Notices

I think I'm screwed...help (long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I'm screwed...help (long)

Car specs:
95 Civic
95 B18C1 motor w/ JE 9:1 pistons (0.020 overbore) and Race Eng. Blockgaurd
STR intake manifold and fuel rail
Extreme Motorsports fuel regulator
Maximum Performance tubular equal length turbo manifold
Turbonetics T3/T4 turbo (BLOWN)
HKS wastegate
SARD BOV
Greddy Integra intercooler
EFI Systems PMS fuel management w/ "peak and hold" injector upgrade
RC 550cc "peak and hold" injectors
Hypertech external fuel pump
Apexi AVC-R boost controller
Thermal 3" exhaust
Skunk2 camgears
ACT 6-puck w/ Xtreme PP
(probably some other $h!t that I forgot to mention too)

To make a LONG story short...I dropped my car off to get tuned (not a shop), and two months later all I end up with is a blown turbo. I get the car back and try to find out what the hell happened to my car. I throw in some stock injectors and disconect the PMS. The car cranks up (loping idle) and I drive it down the street. The car is smoking like crazy (white smoke), I have a damn smoke screen coming from the car. I figure that the smoke is due to the blown turbo and go back home. I pop the hood and see oil leaking from where the turbo connects to the manifold. I assumed this was from a blown seal on the exhaust side of the turbo. I cheked the plugs, and they were black. Apparently the car was running rich as FU@K! I figured that this was due to the 550cc injectors. Next...I run a compression test. I didn't want to let the car sit there and idle to let it warm up (since it was smoking like crazy and leaking oil) so I did the test with the car cold:
4: 165 3: 165 2: 180 1: 165
I'm not sure if this is good or not, but I figured it wasn't too bad since there wasn't a huge variance in the numbers.
At this point I figure I just need to buy a new turbo and get the car tuned. So I remove the turbo manifold and I was shocked at what I saw. The inside of the turbo manifold was soaked with oil, as well as the exhaust side of the head and inside the downpipe. WTF?! Could the blown turbo throw all that oil all over the place? Or do I have a bigger problem here (blown piston rings, etc.)? Please Help. Thanks.

[Modified by bQQsted hybrid, 11:10 PM 8/9/2001]
Old 08-10-2001, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: I think I'm screwed...help (bQQsted hybrid)

from the white smoke...i would say you are burning coolant. And since you found oil all over the place, i could guess you also have an oil leak. The turbo could be leaking oil from the seals, but i wouldnt think you could get oil in the exhaust manifold from the turbo...

I am going to take a wild guess and say you have a blown head gasket. That would explain the white smoke and the oil all over the place. There is a test you can do which will verify this or not...its pretty cheap. Most honda/acura auto shops can do this test. (hell the honda dealer will be happy to do the work i am sure).

Remember, white smoke = coolant. Blue smoke = oil, black smoke = fuel. (pretty sure somebody wanna verify?)

liam
Old 08-10-2001, 08:09 AM

Default Re: I think I'm screwed...help (liam821)

possibly valve seals if there is oil in the exhaust ports.

could possibly be more damage.
Old 08-10-2001, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This exact same thing happened to me when I had the PMS for a while (granted, mine was broken)

My car would barely run and when I could get it to idle it would leak TONS of oil through the manifold and down the downpipe. So very much smoke, and the oil was pooling on the floor. Everything was soaked in oil.

The PMS ended up being defective and the motor was running so rich that the gas was eliminating the oil on the rings and oil was just constantly entering the combustion chamber. It was ugly.

How long has your PMS had the peak and hold upgrade? Are you POSITIVE it has the upgrade? I say open the PMS unit and verify that everything is OK inside. Mine was browned and the diodes had turned black on the injector drivers.

Once I took the PMS off and drove around for a few hours the oil leaking stopped. I am not sure whether this is happening to you, but it happened to me!

Dustin
Old 08-10-2001, 10:26 AM

Default Re: I think I'm screwed...help (dustin)

Dustin, I just got the PMS in February, and I'm sure that it has the "peak and hold" upgrade because I had to send it back to get it fixed (the injector for cylinder 3 wasn't firing). However, the PMS has not been tuned so I am pretty sure that my problem could just be that the 550cc injectors are just shooting WAY too much fuel, and washing off all the oil off of the cylinder walls, rings, etc (same thing that happened to you). I've already fouled out a sh!tload of plugs because of the car running so rich (the plugs would get soaked from the fuel). I've already pulled the PMS and put in stock injectors. I'm going to put on a stock header today and see how the car runs. Let me know if you guys have any other ideas. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2001, 03:57 PM

Default Re: I think I'm screwed...help (update)

So...I pull off all the turbo sh@t and try to drive the car NA. Again there was a sh@tload of oil coming out of the exhaust ports and into the header and smoke everywhere. The idle also lopes between 2500 to about 500 (almost cutting off.) Anyone have any ideas of what the problem could be? Please help. TIA
Old 08-25-2001, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i hope you didnt pay anything to get it "tuned". I wish i had some advice to give you.