I need some ideas here for my Hondata problem...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some ideas here for my Hondata problem...

Okay, my entire setup is on it's way now. I've got every loose end taken care of (so far) except one. I need a way to get my car to the tuner (other than towing it). A friend of mine told me what I could do is try and find someone with a similar setup as me, and ask for a copy of their chip. Now I'm not too sure about this... I don't want to ask people for something like that... But I need some kind of idea. I'll list my setup below, maybe someone can offer me a suggestion, or someplace I can get a basemap chip that I can install to run this setup for a 1.5 hour drive.

The setup:

-Stock D16Y8 (100K)
-Garret GT25 dual ball bearing turbo
-FMIC
-DSM 450's fed by a Walbro 255
-B&M adjustable FPR
-All managed my Hondata S200B on a Hondata chipped+socketed P28 ECU

The S200 + P28 was running a boosted F22 before with 510cc's, so it probably won't run mine... that is my problem now. I'm not too sure how much boost to run yet, but I have an AVC-R, so I can set it to whatever until I get it tuned. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:45 PM

Default Re: I need some ideas here for my Hondata problem... (CycloneBlue_1.6EL)

anyone?
Old 03-11-2005, 12:34 AM

Default Re: I need some ideas here for my Hondata problem... (CycloneBlue_1.6EL)

last bump of the night before I hand it off to the day crew in the morning.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:51 AM

u could always run the map from your stock ecu and just stay out of boost for the whole drive although that could be tough with a tiny turbo. i would avoid highway if i were u.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:59 AM

Default Re: I need some ideas here for my Hondata problem... (donkiman)

Can't get to Toronto without the highway. I would still need something to trim the output on the 450's. The stock ECU would just dump the fuel through those.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

After spending your time and money building the thing just rent a truck & trailer.Check around your area,maybe you can find a racer willing to haul you to the tuner for some kind of compensation.This takes all the stress out of getting there and back.
Glenn
Old 03-11-2005, 04:33 AM

Default Re: I need some ideas here for my Hondata problem... (NJIN BUILDR)

I've thought of that, but I want to keep that option as a last resort. I used to work for U-Haul back in the day, so maybe I can still get a discount there. Still, last resort. I'd like to drive the car there under it's own power. Maybe I should just see if the F22 program will run my engine and not use any boost until after it's tuned.

What is required to tune Hondata yourself?
Old 03-11-2005, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I need some ideas here for my Hondata problem... (NJIN BUILDR)

have your tuner mail you a map. I've done it for a few people. pay tuner to mail a chip, get chip from tuner, drive to tuner, get full tune.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:43 AM

Default Re: I need some ideas here for my Hondata problem... (seen4ever)

Never thought of that. I can drive there to pick it up because I haven't installed anything yet. While I'm there, I can check out prices ( ) and the shop... get some more info. I'll have to call them first to see if they can do it.

Now about tuning/tweaking the S200b yourself, is it possible? Do I have to purchase something extra from Hondata in order to do this?
Old 03-11-2005, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you buy the pocket programmer (romulator) from http://www.xtronics.com/. You will still need a wideband like FJO. Download the software and get a code from Hondata. Then you will really need to know what you are doing. Its not an overnite process. Experience tuners will also destroy cars from time to time. I am in the process of going to ef101 (use search) and have four cars with HOndata between myself and other family members. It will be worth it to me to learn. You just have to weigh your options.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:43 AM

Default Re: I need some ideas here for my Hondata problem... (crazyitr)

I'm just going to have it tuned and leave it. If I do anything major like build the engine and run higher boost, I'll have it retuned obviously. It's things I'm going to be adding this summer like larger exhaust piping and bigger bore TB that concern me. I'm hoping I won't have to retune everytime I put a get a new bolt on.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

greddy blue box? put that in, drive to the tuner, install 450s and your good. Just stay out of boost as much as possible. your fuel pump shouldnt matter.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Re: I need some ideas here for my Hondata problem... (kabaroo)

I actually thought of the following... although it sounds a bit extreme. Leave in the stock injectors and stock ECU, drive there... then switch ECU (easy) and the injectors when I get there...

This might be a bit extreme... I'm still not 100% sure what to do. I really don't want to tow it because the build has really taken it's toll on my wallet.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id toss in a fmu and missing link then, little loost will be ok for the drive there
Old 03-11-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: I need some ideas here for my Hondata problem... (N20civicB18)

I'm not really worried about boosting on the way there, I can easily take the charge pipe off the throttle body and put the intake back on for the trip. My issue is getting the engine to run with those injectors with what I have. I thought there might be an way to do it with the S200b...
Old 03-11-2005, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont take off your charge pipe or you turbo will overspin and fry very bad.... no the 200b doesnt have anything like that, you need to have someone make u a base map to work off of for the ride there if you intend to run those injectors
Old 03-11-2005, 06:38 PM

Default Re: I need some ideas here for my Hondata problem... (N20civicB18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by N20civicB18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont take off your charge pipe or you turbo will overspin and fry very bad.... no the 200b doesnt have anything like that, you need to have someone make u a base map to work off of for the ride there if you intend to run those injectors</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good to know, I'm happy I mentioned that because I probably would have done that eventually and made a big mess of things. As for the basemap, I'm going to call Neetronics next week to see if they do that and what they charge.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:14 PM

What ever you do get rid of the DSm 450 's
Hondata doesnt like them.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:18 PM

Default Re: (BoostBoi)

There are a lot of people on here with good setups and good numbers who use this combination who would disagree. I'm going to see what they can do... I'll probably be building a new engine this winter for more boost next year, then I'll probably upgrade the injectors and re-tune.