Notices

HP Goal possible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP Goal possible?

So, I'm looking to, at the end of July, buy a 92-95 hatch. I have been reading on here for 2 months now, but seeing as I have never owned, let alone worked on a car other than changing brakes and rotors, I have a lack of knowledge and experience. First and foremost I will NOT be removing p/s or a/c- not gonna happen. I want to hit 300hp, maybe 350, but I would be more than content with 300. Its going to have to last me the next 5 years (last year of high school and all of college; i dont do much driving, so in those 5 years ill no more than 30k miles). I will have 9k to spend on car and upgrades. I can get a 92 hatch with 150k mi for 2grand. Whatever hatch I get, should I leave the engine stock and turbo it? If so, besides all the engine / fuel parts that are part of a turbo upgrade, do I need to put on bigger wheels, tires, brakes, new suspension? Should I do the swap to a JDM B18C gsr engine and then turbo? Just want to know if my goal is possible with dd and longevity.
Thanks for any help.
P.S. I have read the stickies and most of the forum posts they link, but since I have really never worked on a car, a lot just goes over my head, but i want to learn and educate myself
Old 06-02-2007, 10:53 PM

Mostly your call. You can pick up a clean shell for say 2 grand. B18c swap, figure roughly... what 3grand? You could probably pump out 300 with just a turbo, which unless you went with a homemade setup would probably run the better of 2 grand. But you would be coming up on the motors outer limits. Leaving you with roughly a grand to spend on apperance stuff.

Now you could get a running hatch, figure 3 grand. Find a z6 motor, take it to a shop and have it machined, and drop in pistons and rods, figure MAYBE 1500 including machining. Throw a t3/t4 on it for 2 grand, and have it tuned at a reputable shop for say 500. Now you are SAFELY at 350 hp or more, and you still have a grand to spend. D>B
Old 06-02-2007, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicslayrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicslayrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now you could get a running hatch, figure 3 grand. Find a z6 motor, take it to a shop and have it machined, and drop in pistons and rods, figure MAYBE 1500 including machining. Throw a t3/t4 on it for 2 grand, and have it tuned at a reputable shop for say 500. Now you are SAFELY at 350 hp or more, and you still have a grand to spend. </TD></TR></TABLE>

And keep in mind that it's cheaper if something bad happen and easier to find.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:21 PM

Default Re: (turb20_vtec)

Wow, thanks for the quick replies! So, I did some more reading (searched d16 in the forced induction section) and I have liked what Ive seen so far. At first I kinda scoffed at the SOHC D16's, but it appears I can get more out of it for my price range. So, after buying the hatch, I would need to find a d16z6, have it hot tanked and new pistons and rods put in as well as some machine work. Then a turbo (t3/t4) and tuning. Id also need new injectors, fuel pump, slim radiator fan, new exhaust and clutch. The 2grand for the turbo, im guessing its a kit, right? Would that include intercooler, manifold, waste gate? Do I need a resistor box for the injectors? Should I upgrade the suspension? And does hondata sound good as it will be a daily driver and I wont be tuning it myself? If I build it and turbo it, I wont be doing any other engine work so I wouldnt have to burn another chip.
Thanks again!
Old 06-03-2007, 02:09 AM

The 2 grand for a turbo is a ROUGH estimate. And yes, i ment as in tubo, mani, charge pipes, dp, couplers, misalanious bs. But thats for like a used setup. Personally i have 7 dollars in my turbo setup so far. Home made turbo kits are cheap, but you have to be paitient. As for the resistor box, it depends what kind of injectors, and weather or not the car already has one installed. You don't need a slim fan, it's nice to have but not nesisary. I pulled mine off of a wrecked Aurora. As far as engine managment, it's a moot point. 6 of one half dozen of another, i happen to like uberdata, but then again I'm odd. You could upgrade the suspension, Thats what the extra grand is for, apearance.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:31 AM

Default Re: (civicslayrx)

As far as cost, going turbo z6 is a wise choice, but 5 years is a long time for any turbo engine, especially one that's getting rushed. my opinion you should buy 2 z6 engines, at thier price it's not going to be much of a problem. Toss one in the car stock, and take your time and build the other for the turbo that you decide to put in. This'll give you time to spend $ wisely with more research and learn as you go along. There are plenty of threads of people push massive horses on a stock sohc and they definately get props, but to be on the safe side... When you get everything in with the built turbo z6 you can do what you want with the other (build it, sell it, KEEP ITgood idea). It's always better to have something just incase you decide to get froggy with the boost and blow a rod, you're not stuck for weeks without a ride.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:32 AM

Default Re: (mercutio_07)

Yeah, you make a good point about rushing it all. Also, if I wait it out, I'll have more money to put into it in the long run. I just wanted to have it to show off when school started, haha, but Id rather have it last. So, with building it, what should I start with? D16Z6 shortblock? And Id be replacing: pistons, rods, bearings, valves, valve springs? What all else?
-Thank a ton guys!