Notices

how to set up a vented oil catch can

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to set up a vented oil catch can

i really want to know how to properly vent my ls-vtec since im going to be boosting. Do i run a hose from the stock pvc valve to one of the ports on the catch can, as for the other port on the catch can i have to valve cover which is also T off to a vacuum? i'm just really confused by all the different info i found online. thank you for your help!
Old 08-16-2009, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to set up a vented oil catch can

Delete the stock pcv, plug off the manifold.. take the plastic fitting out of the black box. Install a brass barbed 1/2 fitting in the top of the oem black box. Connect a hose to your new fitting and run it to the bottom or top of a catch can. Now run a hose off the oem port off the back of the valve cover to the top of the same catch can. Your catch can you are installing has to be vented, you can drill a hole in the top of your catch can and install a barb fitting and use a mini breather if it is not.

If you run your black box hose to the top of your catch can you will have to dump the catch can when it catches oil

If you run your black box hose to the bottom of your catch can, it will be a maintenance free system and will dump it self back.

This is the most cost effective way that leaves the stock black box in place. This can easily be done completely with a trip to home depot.

Or you could spend 5-800$ on a catch can, 10/12an breather line fitting kit but for most its not necessary.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search it has been covered alot.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes it has, but I can understand his confusion. I remember when I searched and searched and still was confused. What throws you off is all these stupid complicated methods that some use.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Boosted_B_Series
Delete the stock pcv, plug off the manifold.. take the plastic fitting out of the black box. Install a brass barbed 1/2 fitting in the top of the oem black box. Connect a hose to your new fitting and run it to the bottom or top of a catch can. Now run a hose off the oem port off the back of the valve cover to the top of the same catch can. Your catch can you are installing has to be vented, you can drill a hole in the top of your catch can and install a barb fitting and use a mini breather if it is not.

If you run your black box hose to the top of your catch can you will have to dump the catch can when it catches oil

If you run your black box hose to the bottom of your catch can, it will be a maintenance free system and will dump it self back.

This is the most cost effective way that leaves the stock black box in place. This can easily be done completely with a trip to home depot.

Or you could spend 5-800$ on a catch can, 10/12an breather line fitting kit but for most its not necessary.
AMEN!
Old 08-18-2009, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Boosted_B_Series
Yes it has, but I can understand his confusion. I remember when I searched and searched and still was confused. What throws you off is all these stupid complicated methods that some use.

yeah, thats is true, there is like millions of ways to hook one up. and some of them kits are expensive.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

grab a B & R Fittings KIT!

simple
Old 08-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont see how everyone gets confused with this, its covered 1,000,000 times (multiple times per week) and the end result is always the same thing.....

Vent the VC
Vent the Block
Block off the PCV

SIMPLE

I am unaware of all these different methods???
Old 08-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think part of the problem is that people dont understand exactly what the purpose of the can is or how exactly the stock pcv system works so they dont know how to approach it.

that and they dont take a minute to get under the car and look for the block fittings that everyone is talking about so they have no idea what to expect.

but i agree this horse has been dead for some time now, hell its a pile of bones and we are still whipping it.