Notices

How do you install a BOV?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you install a BOV?

i'm getting my 98 dx hb (auto for now) turbo'd. i should have it back by end of this week. i'm gonna have the greddy td04 sohc kit w/ spearco fmic. i dont have the funds to get it dyno'd or tuned until my next couple of paychecks, cuz i want to do some other stuff as well. stock 7lbs boost w/ the bluebox so i'm wondering how could I install a BOV myself or get it done?
how much would it cost? I should be able to find a 1g dsm bov for relatively cheap online somewhere, and that should be fine since the max boost i'd EVER run would be 10lbs. i assume that the 1g dsm bov handles this just fine and won't need to be crushed.
could I just take my car somewhere and have them weld it on the pipe for a few bucks? or is it much more involved than that?

reason im asking is that the guy doing my turbo install wants $200 for the greddy bov w/ install (wouldnt tell me which one, assume type-s). thats too much and i dont really care for matching bov. ive heard the 1g dsm bov will work. so any tips?
Old 08-05-2003, 09:11 PM

Default Re: How do you install a BOV? (98dxhatch)

you can find a dsm bov for about $30 at like dsmtrader or other online sites. i wouldnt pay any more than that unless they're including the stock pipe, cuz then u can have the welder take off the stock flange and reuse it. otherwise go to roadraceengineering.com and you can buy a flange from them.

place the charge pipe where it should be installed and figure out where you want the bov. i would test fit the charge pipe and bov to make sure it doesnt hit anything. mark off where the bov is to be installed. take special note to where the two bolt holes on the flange should end up so u have it aligned correctly. just use a marker or sharpie. bring the charge pipe, and flange that you will use to a welder. it should cost like 25-30 to weld.

don't worry about drilling a hole or anything, the welder should be able to weld on the flange where u marked and use the welder to melt out the hole so it will be perfectly lined with the hole in the flange. now bolt the bov to flange and ur set. good luck
Old 08-05-2003, 09:15 PM

Default Re: How do you install a BOV? (Pengo)

ok but due to my lack of car knowledge, i'm kinda lost at what you're saying about the install (pics are always nice)

couldn't i just take it to someone who has experience w/ turbo kits and ask them to install the 1g dsm bov for me? how much should i expect to pay for the install?
Old 08-06-2003, 07:26 AM

Default Re: How do you install a BOV? (98dxhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98dxhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">couldn't i just take it to someone who has experience w/ turbo kits and ask them to install the 1g dsm bov for me? how much should i expect to pay for the install?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you could do that but i have a little more trust in someone who welds all day as opposed to someone who can throw on a turbo kit. basically you just have to weld a flange to the pipe. a welder should be able to do that with no problem and it should cost $20-30