Notices

Hone and Re-Ring Sleeved Block?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hone and Re-Ring Sleeved Block?

Hey everyone this might be a stupid question but can I go ahead and hone the cylinders of a sleeved block the same or do I need a special cutting stone?

Working on a sleeved block and I don't like the positioning of the piston ring gaps... Also when they filed the ring they left a sharp edge on the end of ring that is pretty much scoring the wall.

And another question would be... How big can you typically over bore a aftermarket sleeve? Is that dependent of the manufacturer?

Thanks
Old 01-06-2014, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Hone and Re-Ring Sleeved Block?

hone them the same? i don't get what youre saying. There are honing tools (the brush with small look ***** on it)

yes you can do that yourself.

Who is "they" ? Whoever gapped the rings doesn't know wtf they are doing. Is the piston ring scoring the wall or scratching it?

overbore an aftermarket sleeve? Well what kind of sleeves are they? I am buying a benson block soon with 81mm bore, and will be good until 85mm, so find out what kind of sleeves you have. Pretty much you can hone it all you want, but what you need to pay attention to, is the piston ring gap, that it is within spec, same with the piston to wall clearance.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:26 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You plan on boring the sleeves with a honing stone? You should contact your local machine shop.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TravisBiggie
hone them the same? i don't get what youre saying. There are honing tools (the brush with small look ***** on it)

yes you can do that yourself.

Who is "they" ? Whoever gapped the rings doesn't know wtf they are doing. Is the piston ring scoring the wall or scratching it?

overbore an aftermarket sleeve? Well what kind of sleeves are they? I am buying a benson block soon with 81mm bore, and will be good until 85mm, so find out what kind of sleeves you have. Pretty much you can hone it all you want, but what you need to pay attention to, is the piston ring gap, that it is within spec, same with the piston to wall clearance.
Whoever built the motor before there was no orientation to the rings the gaps were pretty close from each other... And one of them was scratching the wall on a cylinder. I was just making sure its the same process to quickly break the glaze on the cylinder walls of a Benson sleeve the same way we do with stock sleeves.

I want to break any glaze that has built up and install new rings with new end ring gaps.

Can I do this with a normal ball hone?

Thanks
Old 01-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should be able to, but don't take too much material off or you will need to bore it out. like this block I bought recently, it was honed so much the piston ring gap was way above spec with 81mm rings.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

yes you can do a simple hone on benson sleeves to install new rings.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:52 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

you should hone it just enough to give it a fresh, uniform cross hatch. if you can feel/catch the groove from the ring with your fingernail, and honing doesn't reduce/eliminate it, you might have to bore the sleeves to 81.5