Notices

hondata tunning?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hondata tunning?

I've done a search and this is not a post asking who can tune if for me.

I want to know how I can tune with the unit myself. The cost of the actual unit is only a fraction of the total cost for the package. When I asked whether I should use the Hondata or the Hack, I was told to spend a little more for the Hondata. That sounds good for daily drivablity and such, but I didn't realize how much more it'll cost to get tune (at least $300). What's worse, is if you perform some more mods, that's more $$$ to go into tunning.

What is necessary to tune this myself? Wideband 02 and dyno? I'm not looking for max power (I'm looking for a reliable daily driver and cost efficiency). Yeah, that's a oxymoron. I don't know much, but if I can save some money (not just now but in the future also), I'll try to learn.

With the 2B, you need the Eprom editor and a programmer (how much does this cost)? What else? Could you be safe tunning with just a wideband 02?

What is needed with the new s100 system to tune this yourself w/o bringing it to a tuner? I know there are people here that do the tunning themselves rather than bringing it to a tuner everytime a mod is added. I just don't like the idea that I need to rely on someone to tune my car everytime I do something.

Is there a way you can tune the Hondata (cost of associated equipments included)yourself for less than $700?

I'm not going to run over 11psi, I don't mind a little hesitation during partial throttle, and I'm poor. Should I stick with the SAFC?

Thanks for all inputs.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hondata tunning? (specie)

no way for under $700. unless you can find a friend that will let you borrow a wideband. the hondata and the equipment to burn the roms yourself will be around that price already.
Old 11-20-2002, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hondata tunning? (TurboInteg95)

Do you you guys really think the Hondata is worth it? I know a lot of people are forking out the money for it, but all that tunning $$$ makes me a little dizzy.

What do you guys think about this?
http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/pms/pms.html
Old 11-20-2002, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trust me the headaches you wil eliminate by having it properly tuned will make you glad you did it. Ask anyone who has tried doing it themselves or having the cheapest person do it for them. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

Spend a little extra to begin with and in the end you will have saved yourself time, money and been able to sleep knowing you did it right.

[Modified by Spunkster, 3:41 PM 11/20/2002]
Old 11-20-2002, 03:14 PM
JV
Who?

It's tuning, not tunning.

Sorry, i just see that too much on here...
Old 11-20-2002, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hondata tunning? (JV)

i wanted to know this too i was going to go with the hack but then someone told me i need to get the ms6? i think that is what it is called not sure. so i figure the hondata was about the same price . then i was talking to some people and i was " told" that i could get my ecu chipped for eather 8psi or 12 psi or they could custom program me a chip too all for $150.then any chip updates would be $30. but i dont know . when i talked to a guy about tunning a honda he said 4 hrs ! is that right??
Old 11-20-2002, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hondata tunning? (JV)

Damn, you mean I used the wrong word :

tunning
Tun \Tun\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Tunned; p. pr. & vb. n. Tunning.] To put into tuns, or casks. --Boyle

All right, I need to know if it's really that much of a headache to do the tuning myself.

Let me reiterate, I just want to get a safe tune, not max power (I don't mind losing a couple HP for engine longevity). Would just a wideband 02 be suffice (no dyno necessary)?

I wouldn't mind paying the money to get it tune once, but if you think about all the times you add a mod to your car, that's a lot of $$$ for tuning. If you learn how to tune your own car, you learn a lot more about how things work, rather than just knowing how to build your car. It's an integral part.

How many people have tried the EFI PMS? I've seen a lot for sale lately and was wondering if this is because of the AEM or because it is too much of a headache.

......I think you're thinking about the MSD BTM to retard timing under boost.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone tried the EFI PMS?
Old 11-22-2002, 08:32 AM

HONDATA or AEM EMS all the way - - you will be happy you went this route, why spend thousands on a turbo setup and then blow up the motor to improper fuel and timing managment - DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME and you will be happier!!
Old 11-22-2002, 08:38 AM

Default Re: hondata tunning? (TURBOED-TEG)

Turboed-Teg

What kinda set-up are you running? Who's doing your tuning?
Old 11-22-2002, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: hondata tunning? (vtec_addict)

you can do basic tuning on the street with a wideband and laptop. for full power, go to the dyno .
Old 11-26-2002, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hondata tunning? (itr206)

What's the average price on the AEM? What's the general consensus on this engine management system? Thanks.
Old 11-26-2002, 11:41 AM

aem's ive seen run from about 1200-1500...1200 being used...i know alot of people tend to go the hondata route cuz its a little cheaper, and more people know how to tune it...

but you get what you pay for, and the aem ems is a great system
Old 11-27-2002, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm in the same situation that you're in man. I'm just trying to decide which is going to be easier to learn, the hondata or AEM. Just like you, I'd much rather wanna learn how to tune it myself for future purposes and for my own personal knowledge. Just let me know what you think you're gonna do.