Notices

HKS bypass valve (pop off valve)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HKS bypass valve (pop off valve)

Has anyone use this on there setup? will it perform the same as a blow off valve?

Old 09-29-2006, 12:32 PM

Default Re: HKS bypass valve (LSTDB8)

No i havnt used them but yes theyre the same thing.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:32 PM

Yes it can be used a blow off valve, further more I think the flange for the charge pipe is the same as a Greddy RS and S bov.

"HKS Racing Bypass Valves function similar to Standard Bypass Valves but incorporate an additional pressurized port to aid under severe boost conditions. They can also be used as safety "pop-off" valves if the second port is connected to a pressure source."

Standard Bypass Valve is also known as Blow-Off Valve
Old 09-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HKS bypass valve (JoePSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JoePSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes it can be used a blow off valve, further more I think the flange for the charge pipe is the same as a Greddy RS and S bov.

"HKS Racing Bypass Valves function similar to Standard Bypass Valves but incorporate an additional pressurized port to aid under severe boost conditions. They can also be used as safety "pop-off" valves if the second port is connected to a pressure source."

Standard Bypass Valve is also known as Blow-Off Valve</TD></TR></TABLE>

No they dont. They are different sizes. That is a Racing bypass valve... Its not needed for low boost settings... its like putting a 44mm wastegate on 300whp or less turbo system. Pointless.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:57 PM

Default Re: HKS bypass valve (jDMJeRk)

I was wrong on that part then. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:47 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jDMJeRk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No they dont. They are different sizes. That is a Racing bypass valve... Its not needed for low boost settings... its like putting a 44mm wastegate on 300whp or less turbo system. Pointless.</TD></TR></TABLE>
so its pretty much useless for low boost then
Old 09-29-2006, 02:16 PM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh boy

The Racing bypass valve is meant for 1.5bar+ (22psi+) high boost setups. The Greddy Type R with the high boost spring is very similar to the HKS racing bypass valve and both use the same flange. Yes, there is a low boost spring for the Racing bypass valve but why pay that much money when there are plenty of good choices (excluding all version of the SQV/SSQV ) for low boost setups.

Old 09-29-2006, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HKS bypass valve (Dee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh boy

The Racing bypass valve is meant for 1.5bar+ (22psi+) high boost setups. The Greddy Type R with the high boost spring is very similar to the HKS racing bypass valve and both use the same flange. Yes, there is a low boost spring for the Racing bypass valve but why pay that much money when there are plenty of good choices (excluding all version of the SQV/SSQV ) for low boost setups. </TD></TR></TABLE>
They do not use the same flange for the second time
Old 09-29-2006, 02:43 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh boy

Yes, there is a low boost spring for the Racing bypass valve but why pay that much money when there are plenty of good choices (excluding all version of the SQV/SSQV ) for low boost setups.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i know somone who selling a used one cheap i figure looking in to it before i buy it
Old 09-29-2006, 03:16 PM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jDMJeRk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
They do not use the same flange for the second time</TD></TR></TABLE>

Greddy Type R and HKS Racing BOV do use the same EXACT flange. We were goofing during a Greddy Type R install back in '00 when I noticed the HKS racing bypass waiting to be installed on a different customer's car had a similar looking flange. I laid the Greddy Type R gasket on the HKS bypass valve and it was a PERFECT MATCH!! The BOV's were placed end to end and everything matched up.

EDIT - Last year when I went to buy a gasket for my Greddy Type R I actually bought an HKS gasket since the Greddy gaskets were out of stock. I didn't want to wait weeks for one to arrive from the main island when I pulled out a sealed HKS BOV gasket that looked similar to the Greddy Type R gasket. I matched the HKS gasket up to one of the shop's display Greddy Type Rs. If I have to I'll go buy the HKS gasket again just to shut you up

Old 09-29-2006, 03:49 PM

Guess I was right, justneeded to rephrase to a 'Type R' flange. <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Greddy Type R and HKS Racing BOV do use the same EXACT flange. We were goofing during a Greddy Type R install back in '00 when I noticed the HKS racing bypass waiting to be installed on a different customer's car had a similar looking flange. I laid the Greddy Type R gasket on the HKS bypass valve and it was a PERFECT MATCH!! The BOV's were placed end to end and everything matched up.

EDIT - Last year when I went to buy a gasket for my Greddy Type R I actually bought an HKS gasket since the Greddy gaskets were out of stock. I didn't want to wait weeks for one to arrive from the main island when I pulled out a sealed HKS BOV gasket that looked similar to the Greddy Type R gasket. I matched the HKS gasket up to one of the shop's display Greddy Type Rs. If I have to I'll go buy the HKS gasket again just to shut you up

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Guess I was right, justneeded to rephrase to a 'Type R' flange.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i believe hks sells different springs for this BOV so it can be used with low boost setups as well.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:02 PM

Default Re: (turbotime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i believe hks sells different springs for this BOV so it can be used with low boost setups as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

They do (<A HREF="http://www.hksusa.com/categories/?id=1953
" TARGET="_blank">http://www.hksusa.com/categories/?id=1953
</A>), its a blow off valve, thats pretty much it.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:10 PM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbotime)

Yes, HKS does offer a low psi springs but using an HKS racing bypass valve on a low psi setup is like buying a T67 for a D13B and then changing the exhaust housing to an N-trim AR .36 so the motor can spool it. Not cost effective and is overkill.

Yes, an N trim AR.36 housing does exist. I have one sitting in my parts bin
Old 09-29-2006, 04:14 PM

Default Re: (Dee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, HKS does offer a low psi springs but using an HKS racing bypass valve on a low psi setup is like buying a T67 for a D13B and then changing the exhaust housing to an N-trim AR .36 so the motor can spool it. Not cost effective and is overkill.

Yes, an N trim AR.36 housing does exist. I have one sitting in my parts bin </TD></TR></TABLE>

This may be the case but its not what the OP asked, if it will perform the same as a blow off valve, which it will 100%.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSTDB8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Has anyone use this on there setup? will it perform the same as a blow off valve?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Edit, by the way just looked at your car domain, you have a real sick car. Props
Old 09-29-2006, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Greddy Type R and HKS Racing BOV do use the same EXACT flange. We were goofing during a Greddy Type R install back in '00 when I noticed the HKS racing bypass waiting to be installed on a different customer's car had a similar looking flange. I laid the Greddy Type R gasket on the HKS bypass valve and it was a PERFECT MATCH!! The BOV's were placed end to end and everything matched up.

EDIT - Last year when I went to buy a gasket for my Greddy Type R I actually bought an HKS gasket since the Greddy gaskets were out of stock. I didn't want to wait weeks for one to arrive from the main island when I pulled out a sealed HKS BOV gasket that looked similar to the Greddy Type R gasket. I matched the HKS gasket up to one of the shop's display Greddy Type Rs. If I have to I'll go buy the HKS gasket again just to shut you up </TD></TR></TABLE>

For the third time they are not the same.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a Racing bypass valve... Its not needed for low boost settings... its like putting a 44mm wastegate on 300whp or less turbo system. Pointless.</TD></TR></TABLE>

first...im pretty sure wastegate sizing has more to do with turbo size and boost pressure. not a certain whp.

second...how do you know the flanges are not the same. there are guys saying they have seen it first hand and you just come on and say no they arent. no matter how many times you say it, its hard to believe without some kind of back-up.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I work at a shop. We use the HKS Racing by pass valves on our LS1 street system. We have a CNC shop and I get calls from all the little rice rocket stores in town for Greddy flanges. I too thought they were the say but infact they are not. I've sold many of them and had to return them because of my mistake. I KNOW they arent the same.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jDMJeRk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No they don't. They are different sizes. That is a Racing bypass valve... Its not needed for low boost settings... its like putting a 44mm wastegate on 300whp or less turbo system. Pointless.</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jDMJeRk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They do not use the same flange for the second time</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jDMJeRk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For the third time they are not the same.</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jDMJeRk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I work at a shop. We use the HKS Racing by pass valves on our LS1 street system. We have a CNC shop and I get calls from all the little rice rocket stores in town for Greddy flanges. I too thought they were the say but infact they are not. I've sold many of them and had to return them because of my mistake. I KNOW they arent the same.</TD></TR></TABLE>

:smacks himself: I don't know what I was thinking but it is the same flange. Ill have pictures tonight. I took some at work today.

But I STILL swear they aren't the same... Maybe it was a fake greddy bov I originally tried it on.

I apologize for my stupidity and stubbornness