Notices

High Mileage Engine: Smaller Turbo: Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Mileage Engine: Smaller Turbo: Worth It?

Hey guys,

I just finished up reading a bunch of the articles over at team-integra.net and linked sites. I get the feeling that a lot of people are ruhning on a t3/4 hybrid turbo. However, since my car has 138,000 miles on it and I'm not planning to run massive amounts of boost, I was wondering if putting a t2/3 turbo, like the author of integra.vtec.net is using, would be worth it? Are there benefits to smaller turbo's? (Don't they spool up faster or something? Less turbo lag?) Can I get to 200 hp with a t2/3 turbo, or is that even a reasonable target for a turbocharged Integra? Will running a smaller turbo increase reliability, or decrease the chance that I will kill my 138,000 miles Integra LS engine?

Thanks,
Ben

[Modified by mr_mbuna, 7:38 PM 9/8/2002]
Old 09-08-2002, 10:53 AM

Default Re: High Mileage Engine: Smaller Turbo: Worth It? (mr_mbuna)

dude, first off, team integra is not a reliable source for technical information.

second, the size of hte turbo has nothing to do with your engine lasting longer.

third, waht the hell is a t2/t3 turbo?

fourth, the size of the turbo does not matter. it's how much you boost. to get up to 200 whp or at least somewhere around there you need to boost around .45 bar.

fifth, click search at the top before you post.
Old 09-08-2002, 11:05 AM

Default Re: High Mileage Engine: Smaller Turbo: Worth It? (sutrusu)

dude, first off, team integra is not a reliable source for technical information.
Just wondering why it isn't a good source for technical information? They seem to have lots of well-written articles in their "Articles" section.

second, the size of hte turbo has nothing to do with your engine lasting longer.
I think I was trying to say would it be worthwhile and safer to run low boost on my engine, or should I just not bother if I'm not going to be running high boost?

third, waht the hell is a t2/t3 turbo?
Don't blame me, blame the author of integra.vtec.net - I read about the different types of turbo's here: http://integra.vtec.net/turbo/types.html . The author says, "A T3/T4 hybrid uses a t3 turbine wheel and a t4 compressor wheel, so that it spins up faster than a T4 but makes more boost than a T3. A T2/T3 hybrid is the same, but smaller. Almost all turbo kits currently use the t3/t4 unit, which has been used successfully on the 1/4-mile strip in many drag race events, but a smaller unit may be better suited for milder street applications that don't require more than 10psi boost." Is he mistaken? He says on http://integra.vtec.net/turbo/faq.html , "I have an Action Turbo t2/3 kit, running at 10psi." However, on another page he says he has a T28 turbo. Which one is it?

to get up to 200 whp or at least somewhere around there you need to boost around .45 bar.
Sorry, but I'm going to ask another stupid question: is .45 bar a lot of boost? Is it less than 10 psi? Is that enough boost to put serious additional strain on my engine?

Hope this clears it up,
Ben
Old 09-08-2002, 11:13 AM

.45 bar = 6.525 psi
Old 09-08-2002, 11:30 AM

as for team integra, they are more concerned with visual mods, IE painting tail lights, changing antennas, etc. a lot of people on there don't know what they're talking about.

about running boost on your engine. you shuld get a compression /leakdown test and make sure everything is running good. if it's not, you're going to either A. rebuild it and turbo the hell out of it or B. forget the whole idea of turbo

maybe there is a t2/t3 turbo, but i have never heard of anyone using it.
Old 09-08-2002, 11:41 AM

Default Re: High Mileage Engine: Smaller Turbo: Worth It? (sutrusu)

Okay, thanks for the less-aggressively-toned post, sutrusu. So I should get a compression test done, and if the results come out OK, then I can safely boost 7 psi?

If I only want to boost 7 psi to get to 200 hp, then wouldn't a smaller turbo than a t3/t4 be a better choice since it would spool up faster? What is the best size/model turbo choice to boost a '95 Integra LS engine to 200 whp?
Thanks for the bar-to-pounds-conversion, skhonda.

Ben