Notices

High comp turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High comp turbo

i want to go turbo soon but i want to kno if this will be a safe setup,
Its a gsr bottom end with type-r pistons, pr3-4 head with gsr cams, ti retainers and itr intake and exhaust valves, never did a compression check but me and some other ppl are guessing around 11.1. is this alright for turbo or should i drop compression?
Old 07-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: High comp turbo

kinda high for a turbo build. I would def get the correct CR and/or find a great tuner cuz at 11:1 you dont want some shady tuner thinking he can tune it, you want someone who knows how to tune it.

10:1 would be the highest i would go in a CR.. but this is just me.. others might go higher or lower.

Edit: GSR's are no stranger to boost. i wouldnt get carried away with the boost tho..
Old 07-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the real question is what fuel do you plan to feed it?
Old 07-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
kinda high for a turbo build. I would def get the correct CR and/or find a great tuner cuz at 11:1 you dont want some shady tuner thinking he can tune it, you want someone who knows how to tune it.

10:1 would be the highest i would go in a CR.. but this is just me.. others might go higher or lower.

Edit: GSR's are no stranger to boost. i wouldnt get carried away with the boost tho..
You can definitely boost it but keep the boost down. Its gonna make good power without much psi. The only draw back is its not gonna make as much as a lower compression engine and you would need a great tuner. I personally know of someone running 11.5:1 with around 10psi with a 60 trim. Runs pretty damn good but he also has forged pistons. Not too sure if I would chance it with stock pistons. If it were my motor, I would throw in a set of low compression pistons just to be on the safe side. When it doesn't work out, it is too late to go back
Old 07-26-2010, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

all depends the fuel,going to have good drivability.but i would run e85 if possible,but your pistons will hate you after a certain torque level.good luck you will need the force.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:03 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cylinder pressure is cylinder pressure, so whether you are doing it with more boost and lower compression, or more compression and less boost, you are creating cylinder pressure which is making power. it's just a matter of where you want the power. i personally like high compression turbo setups because it allows you to have really nice initial torque, but as mentioned tuning is SO critical. also, the cylinders/head bolts/pistons/rings/wrist pins/rods/etc. see so much additional stress from the initial cylinder pressures, so be very careful using high compression components not meant for boost. my mazda engine is 9.5:1 with ~18 psi, but it's direct injected.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the fuel will be jus 93 pump, so it sounds like i should ditch itr pistons, is there other stock pistons i could use that wouldnt b as high comp. gsr? ls? and should i keep my stock cams or upgrade. i dont wanna make no 500 hp or nothing crazy, 350 to 400hp and still be a daily ride is what im going for.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:19 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

350-400 "Daily driver" means that if you're going to take the time to swap out the internals, don't bother with putting in stock components again, as that hp is past their "reasonable" limit. If you're going to take the engine apart, go ahead and utilize forged components (Eagle, Manley, Mahle, JE, CP, Arias, Wiseco, take your pick, and keep your compression above 9.0:1) so that you can more easily achieve these goals with security.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
350-400 "Daily driver" means that if you're going to take the time to swap out the internals, don't bother with putting in stock components again, as that hp is past their "reasonable" limit. If you're going to take the engine apart, go ahead and utilize forged components (Eagle, Manley, Mahle, JE, CP, Arias, Wiseco, take your pick, and keep your compression above 9.0:1) so that you can more easily achieve these goals with security.
the motor is already apart, the head is built except for cams, will probably run the blox type A's. so different pistons and rods would do it for the bottom end?...or is there more?
and what about the injector size and should i use the stock fuel rail or afternarket?
Old 07-27-2010, 07:21 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Until you know exactly which turbo you're running, just keep your stock Type R pistons if you have them. If going over 65lbs/min in the future or over 600whp, then the use of Kelford or Skunk2 Pro1s is preferable. Otherwise, you'll just have to have the timing advance leveled off to get the same power as your ITRs or GS-Rs. Cams are LAST in a project. Put the project around the turbocharger and the use of the car, not the cams.

To answer the question "is there more" is up to YOU, the owner. we don't know how far you want to go with this, or your experience with riding or driving a Honda B or K series turbocharged car. Start with the simple, then if you want to get elaborate, go from that standpoint. If you plan to take the car to the drag strip a LOT, then there is much more you must account for. If not, then some steps may not be necessary.

Larger injectors again depend upon what you plan to do with this car and what fuel you plan to run on a regular basis, or even for drag strip duty. The same goes with clutch, distributor for ignition, etc. As for fuel rail, don't bother with the AEM rail, as it is only able to be used mainly with their Fuel Pressure regulator. Again, depending upon what you want to do with this car, that FPR may or may not be necessary. The more complete you come with your goals, and research around for setups similar to what you'd think you'd like, the better we can help in the long run.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Until you know exactly which turbo you're running, just keep your stock Type R pistons if you have them. If going over 65lbs/min in the future or over 600whp, then the use of Kelford or Skunk2 Pro1s is preferable. Otherwise, you'll just have to have the timing advance leveled off to get the same power as your ITRs or GS-Rs. Cams are LAST in a project. Put the project around the turbocharger and the use of the car, not the cams.

To answer the question "is there more" is up to YOU, the owner. we don't know how far you want to go with this, or your experience with riding or driving a Honda B or K series turbocharged car. Start with the simple, then if you want to get elaborate, go from that standpoint. If you plan to take the car to the drag strip a LOT, then there is much more you must account for. If not, then some steps may not be necessary.

Larger injectors again depend upon what you plan to do with this car and what fuel you plan to run on a regular basis, or even for drag strip duty. The same goes with clutch, distributor for ignition, etc. As for fuel rail, don't bother with the AEM rail, as it is only able to be used mainly with their Fuel Pressure regulator. Again, depending upon what you want to do with this car, that FPR may or may not be necessary. The more complete you come with your goals, and research around for setups similar to what you'd think you'd like, the better we can help in the long run.
the car will proly never see the strip, jus the streets on premium pump gas, going to run a t3t4 57 trimm, i just didnt wanna put everything together and be running to high compression and blow something, i planned on running this on a pretty much stock bottom end, just a gsr block, race bearings and possibly ls pistons, with the gsr cams in the head