Notices

HELP!!! Turbo istalled no boost totally lost!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Turbo istalled no boost totally lost!!!

OK I just installed a turbo kit on my car. Ill list the setup below but heres the problem. I have no boost. I am totally lost not my first turbo car but i cant figure it out. I checked for boost leaks there were none. I did one wide open throttle run and the car makes a funny air sound but no boost at all and car feels sluggish. Just trying to figure out what wrong because the tuner i am using is 2hrs away and i dont want to drive there for nothing...

Also am using 450cc dsm injectors with a resistor pack but kinda threw me off because i instaled them before turbo kit and turned the car on to make sure there were no codes. Wierd thing is the car idles perfectly fine with the bigger injectors i found that kinda wierd.

I have check all i know to check what do you guys think. Maybe a bad wga??? I figured i have to much boost not none at all... Thanks

Car is a 96 ek hatch
95 gsr w/ obd1 crome basemapped ecu ( chip basemaped for my app)
Garrett turbo not sure what size but is small like a nissan t28 size
Dsm 450cc injectors
Greddy bov
Turbonetics wga
Old 04-23-2007, 10:04 AM

Default Re: HELP!!! Turbo istalled no boost totally lost!!! (jfruauff)

Check charge piping. If the you hear the loud whistling sound of the turbo, it's probably leaking.

Check the piping... if you have NO boost, a charge pipe probably blew off.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:18 AM

Default Re: HELP!!! Turbo istalled no boost totally lost!!! (not2slo128)

Like he said check all the charge piping where the couplers are. You might want to take the filter off and spin the compressor wheel with your finger or just take the filter off and turn the car on and see if it is spinning. Do you have a boost guage?
Old 04-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: HELP!!! Turbo istalled no boost totally lost!!! (RedEj8)

I'm curious how you checked for boost leaks. The best way is to take 2 PVC caps, put one where the TB was, the other on the turbo's intake, then pressurize it and watch the psi gauge on the pump. You will almost never find boost leaks by idling the motor, as your charge piping sees virtually no vacuum (let alone pressure) at 720 rpm.

The other problem could be the WG or BOV. If either are sticking open, you won't make much, if any, boost. An open BOV will usually whistle as air is drawn into it. I would remove the line to it (it is on the top nipple w/lower nipple open, right?), as you can opperate w/o a bov for a single run w/o damaging your turbo. Then I'd look at the WG.

Other than a general leak, bov/wg leak or sticking, or a severely worn turbo, there's not much that will make it not produce boost. This assumes your gaskets are all in working order.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP!!! Turbo istalled no boost totally lost!!! (HiProfile)

I hooked a cap to the turbo inlet and filled with a compressor. Filled slowly till i got to about 12 psi by my cars boost gauge and didnt have any leaks.

I am going with a bad turbo. I went to show my boy the no boost problem and the car sputtered really bad. took it back home to see oil blowing out of turbo inlet, spraying out the bov, and so much was going threw the ic pipe into the motor it was fouling out my plugs. So i am thinking its the turbo..

You guys agree???
Old 04-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: HELP!!! Turbo istalled no boost totally lost!!! (jfruauff)

I would agree. At least I would if there was some crazy shaft play. People have slaped 60trim compressor covers over 50trim wheels, leaving 1/16" gap all around the comp wheel, but it still makes boost fine. Oil in your air charge will create issues with overheated combustion chambers (the main reason CP pistons failed), not prevent boost. A shaft with 1/4" shaft play will bounce around too much to spool up.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP!!! Turbo istalled no boost totally lost!!! (HiProfile)

it really dont have any play. However i took the ic pipe off right at the intake manifold and reved up the car and oil sprayed out of the ic pipe all over.