Notices

Help with the tial!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 05:58 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with the tial!!!!!!

i just put my avc-r in and the top banjo for the tial just hit the hood!! does anyone know what i can put there instead of that banjo fitting
Old 08-08-2001, 07:42 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Help with the tial!!!!!! (BowSeR)

not sure what kit you have but there should have been two fittings for the tial wastegate.. one is a little brass elbow and the other one that silver allum. one.. I used the little brass one on top and it just barely clears the hood.. you might be able to get a **** hair between the two...

match the threads up if you dont have one.. and run down to a hardware store and get something similar with the correct thread size and direction...

that should do it..
Old 08-08-2001, 07:46 PM
Ray
New User

Default Re: Help with the tial!!!!!! (GSRwBOOST)

anyone dent their hood when the engine moves at hard shifting?
Old 08-09-2001, 05:55 PM
New User

Default Re: Help with the tial!!!!!! (Ray)

Youve got a DA....arg...same problem here...without a boost controller (just plugged with a brass fitting) I was wearing a hole through the hood. It never dented...but then again, it was an auto, so the motor didnt torque as much. Let me know what you do about it, cause Im going back to boost soon and plan on an EBC...

Alex
Old 08-10-2001, 07:17 AM
New User

Damn... I knew I couldn't have been the only one. The minute I closed my hood it dented. Now the hood of my 95 civic w/ gsr/turbo has a permanate "nipple" look. It is also wearing a hole in the hood which in turn is very ugly. Now matter what fitting I chose it will hit the hood. I have the install a 45 degree elbow the points the wg in the direction of the A/C. Thankfully one good thing came out of removing my A/C. A spot to relocate the wg to. Good luck on solving your problems.

Old 08-10-2001, 08:09 AM
MDA
New User

Default Re: Help with the tial!!!!!! (dragonsmp)

I just dont use the top port on the TIal... however the edge of the tial still hit the hood so i cut out part of the hood support to make room... No probs now..
Old 08-10-2001, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with the tial!!!!!! (MDA)

I used a 90deg aluminum earls fitting for the top port on the wastegate and I have had no problems with it hitting (the banjo one hit, though). I got it at http://www.anplumbing.com

Dustin
Old 08-10-2001, 09:37 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Help with the tial!!!!!!

I used the fitting that come with the Tial wastegate and dented my hood pretty quick - even though I knew that there might have been clearence problems I guess I was too excited to drive my car after the install. So now I have a nice nipple in my hood too, but hey, I figure it gives me all the more reason to get a carbon fiber hood. I did go back and file down the top portion of the fitting. After filing down the fitting I now clear the hood.
Old 08-10-2001, 10:43 AM
Ray
New User

Default Re: Help with the tial!!!!!! (LEON)

so im guessing if u close the hood and it clear your safe from it denting the hood
Old 08-10-2001, 11:04 AM
Trial User

i had the same problem, neither fitting would fit, the top one hit the hood and the back one hit the head so...

i just reused the pieces that came with the deltagate, the 90 degree fitting for the top fit fine and for the back i had to buy a 90 degree connector because on the deltagate, the brass fitting screwed into the side and on the tial it screwed into the back facing the head and since the brass fitting that came with the deltagate was just a straight piece, there would be no way to fit it onto the back of the tial but it was easily remedied by using the 90 degree connector.
Old 08-10-2001, 11:04 AM
New User

Default Re: Help with the tial!!!!!! (dragonsmp)

wonderful, I get to look forward to this problem soon too. I have a 94 coupe with B18c, with a DRAG 3 w/tial to go in soon. But I have a carbon fiber hood already. Anything I can modify (either the hood or wg) to avoid this problem? Many thanks.
Old 08-10-2001, 11:08 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Help with the tial!!!!!! (Ray)

I would make sure that you have adequate clearence as the engine can torque a bit (amount depends on your driving) and push the wastegate and fitting into the hood.

I know this may sound funny, but what I did was take some "silly puddy" and put it on top of the fitting. I wrote a number in the puddy (just indenting the puddy with my fingernail), then closed the hood and drove around for a while. After driving around for a while I opened the hood. The first time I opened the hood the number was a little smudged, so I filed a little more of the top of the fitting down. The second time I did it the number looked fine, with no signs of smudging from where the hood would be touching the fitting.
Old 08-10-2001, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with the tial!!!!!! (VaporTrail)

You can either use the fitting Dustin was referring to or use a DRAG wastegate elbow. I'm not sure how much the fitting is but the elbow is $30.00.
Old 08-12-2001, 02:24 PM

i did it too.....good excuse for a carbon hood i took a grinder to the bolt and its fine now, but im sportin the nipple too.
Old 08-12-2001, 08:50 PM
New User

Default Re: Help with the tial!!!!!! (integRated109)

i did it too.....good excuse for a carbon hood i took a grinder to the bolt and its fine now, but im sportin the nipple too.
I agree... All the more reason to buy a carbon fiber hood. I never could really justify spending $500 on a c/f hood, but no that will be cheaper and look better than fixing my hood and getting it repainted.

Turbo's are like woman... they cause frequent problems and cost lots of $$$

[Modified by dragonsmp, 9:50 PM 8/12/2001]