Notices

help!!! is this setup safe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!!! is this setup safe?

I know this sounds lame but my mom wants to know if turboing my car will be reliable before she will agree to let me put it on the car so tell us if you think its safe so she can read this and decide. i have a 2000 si and if she is convinced this is safe will be running a rev hard stage 2 turbo kit with spearco front mount intercooler, srp pistons, eagle rods, and a block gaurd the car will be run on stock boost with upgraded fuel pump, injectors, and fuel rail along with a v-afc and greddy profec b boost controller and turbo timer i am also planning on running a turbo exhaust probably apexi n1 and going with a clutch master stage 4 clutch and flywheel so the question is if the car is driven responsible and maintaned like it should be will the car still be a reliable daily driver? thanks for you help

Modified by mrcivicsi2k at 5:08 AM 6/24/2003
Old 06-23-2003, 07:30 PM

Default Re: help!!! is this setup safe? (mrcivicsi2k)

It will only be as reliable as the tuning. You really should consider standalone engine management (hondata, AEM EMS, ect).
Old 06-23-2003, 07:31 PM

Default Re: help!!! is this setup safe? (sharkcohen)

it will be professionaly tuned by a reputable shop
Old 06-23-2003, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrcivicsi2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know this sounds lame but my mom wants to know if turboing my car will be reliable before she will agree to let me put it on the car so tell us if you think its safe so she can read this and decide. i have a 2000 si and if she is convinced this is safe will be running a rev hard stage 2 turbo kit with sparco front mount intercooler, srp pistons, eagle rods, and a block gaurd the car will be run on stock boost with upgraded fuel pump, injectors, and fuel rail along with a v-afc and greddy profec b boost controller and turbo timer i am also planning on running a turbo exhaust probably apexi n1 and going with a clutch master stage 4 clutch and flywheel so the question is if the car is driven responsible and maintaned like it should be will the car still be a reliable daily driver? thanks for you help</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pass on the CM flywheel, stay stock. I would get a real standalone engine management system instead of the VAFC setup. I would keep the engine bone stock for now, especially at 9 PSI on a conservative tune. You could even just run 7 PSI on the stock engine if you are worried. 7 PSI will be plenty fast for awhile at least. Put that money towards a standalone and solid tuning. I'd get a full 3" catback over the N1... It can be done safely and reliably, just don't get boost greedy and it will last if properly setup and tuned. Just my $.02
Old 06-23-2003, 07:42 PM

Default Re: help!!! is this setup safe? (mskibbz-T)

if it helps the kit has a boost dependant fuel regulator
Old 06-23-2003, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All sounds good man, just make sure you get it tuned,(tuning is everything) also make sure the blockguard is installed correctly, if you run a search you'll find lots of info on bad stuff b/c of blockguards being installed wrong.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want reliablility, throw the big injectors out the window and stick with only 7 psi of boost with an FMU. When you put the injectors in, then you have to either ghetto rig your apexi (which I'm famous for) or get a real fuel management system like hondata or something which can be costly. The FMU/fuel-pump w/ missing link and all will work fine up to 7 psi.

I ran my car on 7 psi with the FMU and missing link for 13,000 miles before I got a boost controller....and about 100 miles after.