Notices

Help with SAFC hack for boost.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with SAFC hack for boost.

I have searched a TON.

I know this is a bandaid piggy back innacurate method, I know the ignition issues it can bring.

I currently run an fmu, so this will be an upgrade.

I also have my car running on a chipped p28 right now,
The issue is the only place who will tune crome/uberdata/ etc in my area wants $500 to tune it, im not prepared for that just yet.

As of now with all stock fuel and the fmu at .4 bar the car runs good.
I just know this isn't an awesome solution due to maxing out all my fuel components.

The reason I am going with the hack is I can get a used safc here locally for $75... I already have the 450cc injectors as well.
If I could I would just get it tuned, but need a decent solution for now.

Anyways,

I understand the basics, run the TPS wire to the MAP, changes the voltages, allows you to run the 450cc's at -40% and keep the stock ish fuel curves but with the added fuel for the boost.

I read another thread where a guy was having issues with this, and he just ran the SAFC as NORMAL (assuming to TPS) and just went -40% across the board and this worked?

So Im kind of confused, is -40% not enough of a deduction in fuel with out tapping into the map for this to work? (I do understand how to calculate for the injectors 240/440 = correction)

Im not searching and finding the technical information Im seeking.

With larger injectors why can you not just trim the fuel down?
Is it because when you run the MAP hack the car is sensing boost? if that matters then why is the correction mostly the same across the rpm band?
Since they recommend setting your high low points for 72/73 to account for factory closed loop, I don't quite understand.

I hate to just throw all this in there based off some old threads I read stuff about.

So tap the MAP sensor to the TPS set hi/lo for 72/73 run -40%
OR
Run as usually and just correct the fuel down -40%

This **** stumps me, Im just trying to learn so I understand more.

Thanks guys.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:23 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help with SAFC hack for boost.

I usually don't encourage driving on a basemap, but in your case, it would be leaps and bounds better than what you're talking about doing. Remove the FMU, call up Xenocron, get a basemap made for your setup (it's like, $50?) and run that until you can afford a proper tune. Please, please leave 90's technology in the 90's.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With a basemap, would I be able to safely drive in all conditions?
I mean Ill still get on it here and there and I daily my car.
I don't go around banging gears and wrapping it out to all rpms, even now with the fmu I never let it hit full boost for longer than a second or two.

What I was reading on basemaps, is that its just to get the car running basically, I am also at a bout 5500ft in Denver, which I don't know if that plays a major factor.

I have access to some 550cc injectors, if he made me a basemap with those how long could I safely run that?

Thank you for the response btw.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:48 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You aren't supposed to, but I would trust a Xenocron basemap way before I trusted some SAFC hack bullshit. Just give them all of this relevant information. Call them, talk to them, and they should be able to get you squared away. Basemaps are meant to make your car driveable enough to get it to a tuner. Assuming you're just running a stock motor with a common turbo bolted up, you should be fine on the basemap. It's not optimal, but it's a hell of a lot more optimal than an FMU or SAFC hack.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude...just, tune your own car. It really isn't as hard as everyone makes it out to be, there's a learning curve for sure, but if you are spending the time to go through this b.s you would be much better off just tuning your own car.
Multiple people have done it successfully, it would save you money and give you a very lucrative skill for future builds/ad-ons etc.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:54 AM
GDD Lonely Krew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That 500 bucks for a tune will seem cheap compared to the costs after blowing your motor and being out a daily driver. Do people not look into the future more than a day? Even with a basemap, especially on a turbo motor you shouldnt be driving around all day, let alone "letting it hit full boost for a second or two". Tune the car, and save yourself the headache..
Old 12-22-2015, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

****** really ? For God sakes crome is free and way better than this hack bullshit If you can't get real engine management then you shouldn't be turbocharging a car period. There's maintenance as well. The solution for now is wait to turbo the car till
You have the correct parts and electronics.