Notices

Help routing intercooler pipes with traction bars.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help routing intercooler pipes with traction bars.

Ok, so I just received my new Avid Pro Series traction bar, and upon trying to install the bar I realized that my hot side intercooler pipe is totally in the way of where the driver's side radius arm should be... Just wanted to get some input and ideas about re routing this pipe to correct this situation, without flipping the compressor housing, and doing the old up and over down through the hole behind the headlight etc... Possibly some of you can post pics of how you have run your piping with traction bars to give me some ideas... Any input is appreciated!!!

And a pic without the bar to show the routing of the hot side ic pipe...

Old 03-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help routing intercooler pipes with traction bars.

When I had a bottom mount it barely cleared the traction bar but it worked. The manifold you are using has the turbo pretty low. Maybe you can clock the housing towards the front and have a cast 90* elbow welded on it or go with a back door intercooler endtank.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah it does sit pretty low, and doesnt help its an "H" cover haha... But I thought about welding on the 90* elbow, just kinda worried about running into clearance issues with my return line if i do that.... Thought about the back door thing too, but my IC is too wide... The only option I can really think of is to bring the pipe down a couple inches so it goes under the radius arm, but Im afraid that might sit it too low... Im so lost lol

Old 03-03-2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by I.C.C.
Yeah it does sit pretty low, and doesnt help its an "H" cover haha... But I thought about welding on the 90* elbow, just kinda worried about running into clearance issues with my return line if i do that.... Thought about the back door thing too, but my IC is too wide... The only option I can really think of is to bring the pipe down a couple inches so it goes under the radius arm, but Im afraid that might sit it too low... Im so lost lol
I had the same problem on my car. What I did was use a 90 degree silicone coupler off the turbo. However, by the looks of your pictures the oil return looks like it will be in the way. What kind of manifold are you running?

I have the full race traction bars and it clears it by about 1 inch or so.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its just a regular ole ramhorn made by jay thornton aka silly sohc... i think the biggest problem is the large compressor housing causing it to sit lower... I just took some measurements and I believe that clocking the housing forward a bit and either welding on an elbow or using a 90* coupler will fix the problem... I took into account the oil return and it appears as if there will be enough room for clearance, I will just have to shorten it and adjust the angle, which would probably result in a better return anyway...
Old 03-03-2010, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by I.C.C.
Its just a regular ole ramhorn made by jay thornton aka silly sohc... i think the biggest problem is the large compressor housing causing it to sit lower... I just took some measurements and I believe that clocking the housing forward a bit and either welding on an elbow or using a 90* coupler will fix the problem... I took into account the oil return and it appears as if there will be enough room for clearance, I will just have to shorten it and adjust the angle, which would probably result in a better return anyway...
Ya that seems to be your best bet. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i used a sillysohc manifold on my b series crx wayy back, I went under the radius rod, I wouldn't recommend doing this. I painted it black but you could still see it from the front of the car, however my car wasn't 'slammed yo'. If I were you, Id use a 90 elbow off the comp housing
Old 03-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man.. Yeah its already a little low as is, and you can see it from the front... Didnt really want to go lower, but Im limited on options... I think Im going to order the elbow and just go that route... Gotta get the car on a lift and take a couple more measurements to be sure but Im fairly certain it will work