Notices

Help on rebuilding block

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on rebuilding block

Im planning to buy some nippon low comp. pistons on stock gsr rods for my gsr block since they're a bang for the buck and yielded good results with some users here on HT. I am also getting new bearings, head and main studs and new rod bolts for my engine. I am not getting my turbo kit until income tax which is only a few months away so my question is: Would it be ok for me to install these pistons and run them on an N/A setup for the time being til I get my turbo kit installed and tuned or should I wait? On the site they said the pistons will drop my compression to about 9:32:1, but Im not sure if thats accurate or not. My car is over 200,000 miles which calls for the rebuilt. Im worried about preignition and detonation and I'm not sure if installing lower compression pistons will cause this or not. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help on rebuilding block

First I think you should actually go and research and study what causes preigniton and detination, and start from there it seems you may have a lot to learn.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SLIM NOTHING
First I think you should actually go and research and study what causes preigniton and detination, and start from there it seems you may have a lot to learn.
I watched a youtube video of it earlier. And I just got done reading a good article on it. So I'm assuming it's safe to run them then on my current N/A engine. Do you think I need a tune when I put the pistons in with all the other parts for my block? Or can I just have it assembled,slapped back on and run it like it is?
Old 11-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to run the rebuilt engine naturally aspirated with the stock PGM-EFI system that would be fine. Thats how I break in my engines.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You should always tune any significant internal change(s) done to a motor, it always comes down to better safe than sorry and if you're gonna dump money into your car you should never skimp out. You might be able to get away with it since you are lowering the compression, I know some people have left their management stock after lowering their compression knowing that they will most likely not knock. My thing about that is, that means you may be running richer which can't be good for those brand new rings. Also do not buy the pistons before sending the block to be inspected by a machine shop, you need to know if you need hone or bore the block or not. If you do, then you would need oversized pistons. This is just fyi if you didn't know so.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Muckman
If you want to run the rebuilt engine naturally aspirated with the stock PGM-EFI system that would be fine. Thats how I break in my engines.
Thanks for your advice buddy. Yeah fuel system is still stock until I buy my kit then I'll buy all my fuel management items.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hyper16-Johnny
You should always tune any significant internal change(s) done to a motor, it always comes down to better safe than sorry and if you're gonna dump money into your car you should never skimp out. Also do not buy the pistons before sending the block to be inspected by a machine shop, you need to know if you need hone or bore the block or not. If you do, then you would need oversized pistons. This is just fyi if you didn't know so.
Appreciate the advice. I'll keep this in mind. Gotta love Honda-tech.