Notices

help with my p28 and help posting picutures...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with my p28 and help posting picutures...

hey, i bought a p28 the other day to use with uberdata. the guy i bought it off said it was socketed and chipped, but i have no idea what i'm supost to be looking for... i know there are two different types of chip holders and i dont know if this ecu is socketed... my other problem is that i cant figure out how to post pics of the ecu on here. i took some with my digital camera and have them saved on my computer ... please help? thanks in advance...
Old 01-29-2005, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: help with my p28 and help posting picutures... (turboH22Aakkord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboH22Aakkord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey, i bought a p28 the other day to use with uberdata. the guy i bought it off said it was socketed and chipped, but i have no idea what i'm supost to be looking for... i know there are two different types of chip holders and i dont know if this ecu is socketed... my other problem is that i cant figure out how to post pics of the ecu on here. i took some with my digital camera and have them saved on my computer ... please help? thanks in advance...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Check out the Keebler link in my sig and also check out the uberdata forums also in my sig. The Keebler link will tell you what to look for in a chipped/socketed ECU.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: help with my p28 and help posting picutures... (BlueShadow)

dude, thanks a ton for the help... my ecu is socketed, but it doesnt have the zif scocket, it has the dip socket.. is it easy to swap out those? or is it even that much of a problem dealing with the difficulty in swaping out the chips? thanks again for the help...
Old 01-29-2005, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It won't be too big of a problem. Just make sure that you pull the chip out straight and that you don't bend any pins.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Re: help with my p28 and help posting picutures... (tepid1)

kool... i was trying to pop the top of the DIP socket off to get at the chip, but it seems to be on there really good ... is that normal??
Old 01-30-2005, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can just buy a low profile ZIF and plug it into the top of your DIP socket without soldering it to the DIP. Then you just take your chips and plug it into the top of you ZIF.

The ZIF isn't going anywhere because it is held onto the DIP by friction, just like a regular chip. The only thing that would have to be soldered is the DIP socket. The DIP socket is soldered to the ECU, then your low profile ZIF plugs to the top of your DIP socket, and your chip goes into your ZIF and is held in place by the ZIF's lever.

http://www.moates.net/product_...id=46
Old 01-30-2005, 06:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: help with my p28 and help posting picutures... (BlueShadow)

[QUOTE=BlueShadow]You can just buy a low profile ZIF and plug it into the top of your DIP socket without soldering it to the DIP. Then you just take your chips and plug it into the top of you ZIF.

The ZIF isn't going anywhere because it is held onto the DIP by friction, just like a regular chip. The only thing that would have to be soldered is the DIP socket. The DIP socket is soldered to the ECU, then your low profile ZIF plugs to the top of your DIP socket, and your chip goes into your ZIF and is held in place by the ZIF's lever.

http://www.moates.net/product_...id=46[/QUOTE]

What he said
Old 01-30-2005, 07:44 AM

I cary the DIY kits on my site. I also offer services for instalation.

http://www.cray91.com/ECU.htm
Old 01-31-2005, 10:39 AM

Default Re: (Cray91)

thanks for all your help guys... i'm pritty sure that mine is chipped with the DIP... so from what you told me i can just buy the low pro ZIF and it will go on top of the DIP... ( is it normal for the chips to come out of the DIP kind really hard? i cant seem to get mine apart and i dont wana break it.. ) i would post a picture but i dont know how.. haha.. thanks again...
Old 01-31-2005, 10:45 AM

It sounds like you may be confused as to what you have.

The DIP socket will not come out of the board. The chip should be firmly inserted into the DIP socket. I wouldn't even waste the money on the zif socket. For you to buy just on from digikey it would cost you over $10.

Considering how much you swap chips it isn't worth it IMO. Only durring the tunning phase do you pop it in and out. If you tune all the time, then just invedt in a romulator.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:51 AM

Default Re: (Cray91)

yeah, thats what i thought... ( i was thinking the same ) but i think i might be a lil confused about what needs to be pulled out in order to replace the chips... i thought it was the top of the DIP thing but it doesnt seem to wana come out... On a side note... is this the chip i need ? i have a burner already.. AT29C256
Old 01-31-2005, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turboH22Aakkord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboH22Aakkord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i thought it was the top of the DIP thing but it doesnt seem to wana come out... On a side note... is this the chip i need ? i have a burner already.. AT29C256</TD></TR></TABLE>

What kinda burner do you have? I know for sure the Moates BURN 1 supports the AT 29C256. If you have the Batronix or Willem check the Batronix site or ebay and see what kinda chips your burner supports.

It can be a little hard to pull chips out if a dip socket. The way I took mine out is I would CAREFULLY stick a flathead screwdriver between the chip and the DIP suocket. Then using the ECU's center beam for leverage I would GENTLY pry up on the chip. I wouldn't pry it up all the way. Just enough so that a few pins pop out on the end I'm lifting up. Once it's up I push it down a little, but not to hard so that it goes back into the socket. When you push it down the back end of the chip that is still seated in the socket will slide up.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Re: (BlueShadow)

awesome dude.. thanks again for the help!!
Old 01-31-2005, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turboH22Aakkord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboH22Aakkord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">awesome dude.. thanks again for the help!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

NP, just dont break anything. hehehe

watch and make sure that you dont bend any of the pins on the chip. If you do it slowly and gently yo should be fine though. I did it this way a bunch of times on the same chip and I didn't break it.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Re: (BlueShadow)

kool.. i was all confused about this for a lil bit cause the damn thing wouldnt come out .. haha.. and after a while i began to wonder what part was supost to be coming out! haha but thanks again...