Notices

Help me on my way...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me on my way...

I have a '00 Civic EX coupe w/ about 87,000 miles on it. I just ordered the edelbrock turbo kit for it, and I was planning on buying the fuel pressure regulator, hi-flow fuel pump, 68mm throttle body, and doing a 2.5" straight pipe exhaust. I already have the grounding/voltage kit, and the edelbrock kit comes with the injectors, fuel management, gt28 turbo, new intake/exhaust manifolds, and the intercooler w/ all the piping. Any suggestions on what I should get to put down a safe 200 whp on my SOHC w/ 7 lbs. of boost? Any input is appreciated. I was thinking about getting a cam and doing the valvetrain along with the headstuds, but I'm not decided. I have a little under 2k to spend.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me on my way... (808draggers)

First thing I would do is make sure the motor is up to par. Make sure it has good compression, new plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor, timing belt and all that good stuff. You dont want to be boosting a tired motor. As for the regulator, fuel pump, throttle body and exhaust you are headed in the right direction. 68mm might be on the big side though. Figure out your goals first before you start spending money. Are you really going to be content with 200 hp? Because if youre gonna want more, youll find that the setup you have now probably isnt going to get you much further.
Just get the car setup properly with the parts you have now and put it on the dyno. You might be suprised already. Remember, proper tuning is everything. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I eventually wanna get closer to 250 whp by the end of this year, but I think for now my goal is gonna be 200 to the wheels. After I do all of what I mentioned earlier, I was thinking of changing the cam and valvetrain. Maybe even milling the head a little and changing the rods. What other bolt-ons/internals do you think I should think of changing? I still wanna keep it under 10 psi after working on the head. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 808draggers &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, I eventually wanna get closer to 250 whp by the end of this year, but I think for now my goal is gonna be 200 to the wheels. After I do all of what I mentioned earlier, I was thinking of changing the cam and valvetrain. Maybe even milling the head a little and changing the rods. What other bolt-ons/internals do you think I should think of changing? I still wanna keep it under 10 psi after working on the head. Thanks for the info.</TD></TR></TABLE>

first thing you should of done even before buying your kit is to find out if the motor is up for it. you wouldnt want to run boost on a shitty motor. by the way...what are you gonna be tuning it with?
Old 01-25-2005, 04:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think 250 might be hard with that kit. You probably will be maxing out the turbo. Also, 10 psi will not get you the horsepower levels you want. You most likely will have to up the boost. To reach 250hp on a single cam, you probably would need a new turbo, which requires a new manifold and external wastegate. You most definitely would want to sleeve the block and get upgraded rods and forged pistons and probably do a head job with upgraded valvetrain. By then, you probably would want to run some type of management, at least a Hondata.
Just in these parts, I see at least $4000-$5000. Thats why I said to figure out your goals before you start to buy parts. A B-series swap with a bolt on turbo kit running 7psi will easily hit 250whp, with alot more room for more horsepower or upgrading. It will cost you about the same as the built single cam, probably even less.
Im not telling you the single cam is no good, or to get the B series, but im just giving you a scenario. As alot of people have spent lots of money on their D series, only to get a B series later. Like I said, just try running your turbo kit now, see how you like it, then you can decide what you want to do from there.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:20 AM

Default Re: Help me on my way... (808 DB8)

You can do 250whp on your stock motor if you have *****, but to be safe buy some forged rods/pistons and you will be good to go. The edelbrock kit should have no problem getting you 250whp, but I would get better fuel management (uberdata). You probably could have built your motor with rods/pistons and a built a custom turbo kit for the price of that edlebrock kit you know.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I heard that the gt28 is good for up to 320 hp. There's also a bolt on kit out there with that same turbo for the z6 that's supposed to produce something like 230 whp. But...I don't know, there's a lot of people claiming out there. I see that 808DB8 is with 1320 performance. I'm coming to you guys to do a couple pulls on the dyno. I guess I'll just see what numbers I get, then work from that. Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, im sure a GT28 can flow up to 320 hp, but there are alot of factors. What size wheel trim and stuff like that makes a big difference. Also the size of the motor makes a difference too. It may be able to flow 320 hp on a 2.0 L or something, but maybe not on a 1.6. But it most definitely will not hit those numbers with the boost pressures you want to run. Im sure if you ask Matt or Robert at 1320 they probably will tell you the same thing. Just for reference, we had two D series cars dynoed there. One if Blaine's race hatch and the other is Alan's street/strip hatch. I dont know if you know of them, but you can ask Matt or Rob about those cars. Feel free to call them and ask. They are very knowledgeable people. By the way, did you check out the test and tune this past weekend?
Old 02-03-2005, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep, the test and tune was pretty dope. Couple of my friends ran. Same cars all night though, I left after about an hour. Gotta go check out the one coming up this month. Wanna get some slips. I'll be sick if my old hatch runs faster than my boosted coupe. Just aiming for high 14's or low 15's in street trim. Maybe I'll gut it and run some sticky tires on the second night.