Notices

Help me decide on a manifold and charge pipe sizing... (I read!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide on a manifold and charge pipe sizing... (I read!)

Before anyone makes smart-assed comments, I have read and researched as well as talked to at least 3 very reputable tuners/builders.

I'm trying to decide on a turbo manifold, I want to have a balance of as good of spool time as possible, along with good power output.

I would like to keep my powersteering, but if it has to go, it has to go.

My setup: 85mm b18a darton sleeved, 9.1 pistons
b18c1 head, Skunk 2 stage 1 (or possibly ITR) cams, skunk 2 dual springs, crower titanium retainers, Ferrea stainless valves (stock sized)

Turbo: Gt3561s

I was trying to decide between a ramhorn, and topmount until I realized that no matter how we built the topmount, there's pretty much no way to retain power steering. Then i spoke to a tuner who said neither of them were as efficient as people make them out to be. so I'm reading now, and taking suggestions.

As far as my charge piping goes, I had 2.5" on both sides of my old setup, and am considering leaving 2.5" on the hot side, into my PWR 750 horse IC, then 3" on the cold side. What affect will the increase in charge pipe size have on spool and power? The TB is a 68mm edlebrock, with the IM opening matched.

My power goal is about 550 whp
Old 01-22-2006, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Help me decide on a manifold and charge pipe sizing... (slowteg550)

im not 100% on this one but i think the theory behind smaller pipes in the hot side and larger pipes on the cold side is the smaller pipes will get air to the intercooler quicker and it takes a little longer for it to leave the intercooler, which in turn is giving u a cooler air charge.

as far as the manifold, u said u want quick spool times with good top end so maybe a short tubular manifold would be ur best bet. love fab mini-me would be my pick. good luck.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me decide on a manifold and charge pipe sizing... (whoneedzvtec)

the top mount seems to spool slower then a regular ramhorn...the shorter you keep the runners the more heat the exhaust has ...heat helps spool the turbo because it adds velocity.

2.5 charge piping around.....
Old 01-22-2006, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me decide on a manifold and charge pipe sizing... (D@nnY)

word to danny, 2.5 inch charge is fine. i dont know a whole lot about manifolds, so thats up to you, but get rid of the power steering. yes, its a little harder to turn in parking lots but the space you get the weight you cut and better handling are all worth it. just make sure that you run the lines so you dont leave the rack dry. just pump it back into itself.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me decide on a manifold and charge pipe sizing... (imskatencrzy)

so a short large runner manifold would be the best? like 1 7/8"