Notices

Help!!! Leaking oil from headgasket after tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! Leaking oil from headgasket after tune

Alright I did a search and came up with nothing. Almost seemed like the search function wasn't working. So i recently had my car tuned and the next day i noticed my car was leaking oil. It has been narrowed down to leaking from the headgasket on the timing belt side. However my compression reads excellent across the board.(just had block built) Could this be stretched or a loose head stud? If that is the problem will I have to replace the head gasket also or can it be reused? If it is found that a head stud is loose will it work to just torque it back down? Any help would be much appreciated. thanks in advance.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:18 AM

Default Re: Help!!! Leaking oil from headgasket after tune (MNturbosi)

I would say try to retorque the head studs first, but I don't know if it will work after oil already got in between the gasket. if you pull the head, definately replace the gasket.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:19 AM

Have you had the timing belt cover off yet to see where it's coming from? If the oil is coming from the head gasket then you have more problems then you think. The head studs are torqued down in a certain sequence so if you have a loose nut, then there may be more. An OEM Honda gasket may be reused depending on age, like no more then a week. Spray the whole gasket with with CopperSeal first. NE way, I think your leak is probably coming from a cam or crank seal. Not the head gasket or else you'd have problems with coolant also.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help!!! Leaking oil from headgasket after tune (SnailedCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SnailedCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you had the timing belt cover off yet to see where it's coming from? If the oil is coming from the head gasket then you have more problems then you think. The head studs are torqued down in a certain sequence so if you have a loose nut, then there may be more. An OEM Honda gasket may be reused depending on age, like no more then a week. Spray the whole gasket with with CopperSeal first. NE way, I think your leak is probably coming from a cam or crank seal. Not the head gasket or else you'd have problems with coolant also.</TD></TR></TABLE>Also check the galley plug on the head on the timing side. If sent the head out for machine, alot of times the machine shop will take out that big plug on put it back on loosely, causing a leak.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mine leaks on the distributer side of the head. i replaced the vtec solenoid gasket and cam seal and its still there. i guess next thing to try is the distributer seal? if not than i am assuming its just the head....

mine also doesnt use any coolant and has good compression.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:38 PM

Yeah I have the timing belt cover off. The oil is definitely coming from the headgasket. It may possibly be using a little coolant but I'm not really sure. The question I had was not about where the leak was coming from but it was about how to go about fixing it. So if anyone has any ideas about how to fix my problem after they read my first post as well then help will be very much appreciated.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:46 PM

i think if you open the radiator cap and bubbles then you might have a blown head gasket... but then again you said that compression is good. i would try to retorque the head to about 80 ft/lbs i think that what the book says or is that arp's spec.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:38 AM

Default Re: Help!!! Leaking oil from headgasket after tune (choiboiracing)

i'm really not sure. i called arp and they said that the torque spec is 65ft/lbs so I'm gonna try retorquing to that and see what happens. i guess if that doesn't work then i'm gonna try replacing the head gasket.
Old 04-09-2004, 04:57 PM

try torqueing(sp) it to 70ft pounds