Notices

Help identify the specs on this turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 04:36 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help identify the specs on this turbo

A buddy of mine got this turbo from somebody and we're wondering if anyone has any information on it. I dont have a micrometer so i cant measure it, but i was hoping that between the pics of it and a picture of the tag, someone might be able to tell me something. Thanks!

Modified by Schister66 at 10:24 AM 2/19/2007
Old 02-18-2007, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help identify the specs on this turbo (Schister66)

The only turbos I know of that you can draw through are the old Rajay and Aireasearch which use a carbon seal and were designed for draw through.I have a draw through Martin kit which uses a Rajay 3AA1EE90B1 turbo and by itself will top out at about 425 at the flywheel.But I'm saving it for a truck since all you need for that kind of HP these days is a set of Vortec heads and a Comp Cam.The break down on that model no. or for any Rajay if you find one identifies the inlet wheel as an E trim, the exhaust is an E trim and the A/R is a .90. The number has all of that info built into it. The part of the number that states EE90 is how they spec the turbo.In some of the rajay numbers they state both trim I.D.'s like mine stating EE, and sometimes when they just provide one letter designation it means that both wheels are the same trim. You should be able to find the A/R number just inside the inlet of the exhaust housing if the tag is gone or you think the housing was changed. This would be just inside the of the housing at the rectangular flange which is the inlet of the exhaust housing.The rajay turbos are really simple to deal with because they only come in a few variations. There are three wheel sizes for the compressor and turbine, they are from the smallest to the largest, B, F, and E. Rajay made turbos generally using the same wheels on both sizes, so you usually find turbos with EE, FF, or BB trims, but sometimes in special performance applications you will find the compressor wheels one size larger than the exhaust. An example of this would be an EF trim, where the compressor is an E trim and the exhaust is an F trim. I have seen FB, and EF as the variations. You never will see a factory EB trim setup.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/....html

^^ here is the whole thread, the post that i copied was made by Mike-78 Z-28 on that page

Hope this helps

Old 02-19-2007, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help identify the specs on this turbo (SmrCRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SmrCRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The only turbos I know of that you can draw through are the old Rajay and Aireasearch which use a carbon seal and were designed for draw through.I have a draw through Martin kit which uses a Rajay 3AA1EE90B1 turbo and by itself will top out at about 425 at the flywheel.But I'm saving it for a truck since all you need for that kind of HP these days is a set of Vortec heads and a Comp Cam.The break down on that model no. or for any Rajay if you find one identifies the inlet wheel as an E trim, the exhaust is an E trim and the A/R is a .90. The number has all of that info built into it. The part of the number that states EE90 is how they spec the turbo.In some of the rajay numbers they state both trim I.D.'s like mine stating EE, and sometimes when they just provide one letter designation it means that both wheels are the same trim. You should be able to find the A/R number just inside the inlet of the exhaust housing if the tag is gone or you think the housing was changed. This would be just inside the of the housing at the rectangular flange which is the inlet of the exhaust housing.The rajay turbos are really simple to deal with because they only come in a few variations. There are three wheel sizes for the compressor and turbine, they are from the smallest to the largest, B, F, and E. Rajay made turbos generally using the same wheels on both sizes, so you usually find turbos with EE, FF, or BB trims, but sometimes in special performance applications you will find the compressor wheels one size larger than the exhaust. An example of this would be an EF trim, where the compressor is an E trim and the exhaust is an F trim. I have seen FB, and EF as the variations. You never will see a factory EB trim setup.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/....html

^^ here is the whole thread, the post that i copied was made by Mike-78 Z-28 on that page

Hope this helps

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good info. I had one of these turbos (and still have all the pieces of it) but never ran it because it needed a rebuild kit and they are quite expensive to rebuild. I just bought a brand new garrett for the price that the rebuild would have costed me.

I guess these turbos are used often in aviation applications and as such are held to very strict standards of operation and maintenance, at least that is what I was told by the turbo shop who looked at it.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks a lot for the info!
Old 02-19-2007, 01:07 PM

Default Re: (Schister66)

np
Old 02-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help identify the specs on this turbo (Schister66)

That's old school! The ACVW guys ran these turbos back in the 80's on drawthrough setups, using a weber sidedraft carb, and later using a holley 4-barrel. My pops has one on his race car and it still works after 20+ years and sitting for over 15 years never rebuilt!!
Back then his 2165cc engine made 430 hp @ the flywheel on 25 psi.