Notices

Help on a DSM boost problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 07:44 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help on a DSM boost problem

I have a 90 Laser FWD. I was experiencing weak boost and after I took off the heat shield i noticed a crack on the manifold. I replaced it with a 2G manifold. The problem did not go away so I replaced spark and wires, I put on a 16G and changed all the belts + timing. Now I do have better boost but it is not how it used to be. On 5th gear when the car is at 2000-3000 rpm the boost builds up till max giving speed to the car but my rpms go up slowly.

I could not find a leak in my intake. The only things left I suppose are the wastegate solenoid and the Blow off valve. How can I check if those do not work right?

Could it be that I need a upgraded fuel pump because of the 16G or because I have stock exhaust?

Could it be the cat-converter is clogged?

Any ideas would help because no matter what I refuse to take it to the dealer. Plus there are no good DSM mechanics in WV that I know off. Changing the timing belt+ other belts was a bitch...Took me 7 hours....

My car drives fine now but I know that something is wrong with the way the boost kicks in before it is time. With the stock turbo it would kick in around 3000 rpm and I would feel that kick!! Now it kicks in from really low and by the time the rpm have reached 4000 it seems to be maxed out,

I hope I was able to tell you waht the heck is going on...

Any help would be greatly appreciated....
Old 01-24-2002, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help on a DSM boost problem (2 B 4GO10)

only read half your post, it got boring cause I dont know what a 2G laser looks like.
-add fuel top end, can you check to see how lean you are running.
Old 01-24-2002, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help on a DSM boost problem (rtype11)

I think your are on the right track, looking into the exhaust. It's kind of pointless to have upgrade to a 16g with the stock exhaust, there was still potential left in the stock turbo. I was close to running 12's with a 14b, had I upgraded the clutch I probably would have seen them. Anyway, try removing the cat and go for a spin and see if it changes any. Have you ever changed you fuel filter? The computer can limit boost if it sees detonantion. How much boost are you running?
Old 01-24-2002, 10:02 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts

my DSM buddy says look for a bad sensor. something that would be retarding timing...
Old 01-24-2002, 10:07 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Help on a DSM boost problem (turbosol)

I used to run 15 but now I am back at 10 till I figure out what is wrong. The thing that kills about this is that only I can tell that it is messed up. Everybody who gets in the car thinks I am crazy for complaining. Anyway, thanks for the advice. I will drive around with no cat to see if there is going to be a difference. I did keep my 14b in case I sell it.
Old 02-06-2002, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Swap out your exhaust definately if you are running a 16g, I don't think you understand how much that hinders things.

Also are you running the stock clutch. I didn't fully read your post in depth, but if you have any sort of decent mods it is likely that your clutch may be slipping causing the boost and the RPM's to go up but you not feel any real pull.
Old 02-06-2002, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help on a DSM boost problem (16g-95gsx)

O by the way, if you are interested in selling your 14b I might be interested in buying it. Just curious. If you are interested in possibly selling it email me at Chlamber@vt.edu
Old 02-06-2002, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree. I live near Roadraceengineering and the 1st mods done are the exhaust and intake systems. I've have friends mistake boost leak for what is actually a slipping clutch. Even Sport Compact Car make that mistake with their project 2G Eclipse turbo.
Old 02-11-2002, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help on a DSM boost problem (Skrilla)

A buddy of mine had a stock 91 GSX with a 16G only (it was a spare he had from his 92 20G GSX) and it was faster than a stock GSX. But anyways, you should try heading over here to Mach V, ET motorsports, OD motorsports, or one of the other DSM shops here in Northern Va. I know it's kinda far but hey, what are you gonna do? Your dealer should be able to handle it too. And I've heard this problem be discussed more than once on DSMTALK.COM and on the Capital Area DSM Club mailing list. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2002, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help on a DSM boost problem (ZCTURBO)

Mach V is a ripoff, I wouldn't use them personally. Their prices are through the roof compared to anyone else and I see no real reason that they should be like that as they aren't as renown as buschur or extreme.
Old 02-12-2002, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've heard that Mach V is cheaper than Extreme, but of course Extreme is supposed to have better quality work. I've heard some things about how they treat customers. I hear great stuff from locals but mail order folks get (relatively) screwed sometimes. Thing is, coming from WVA, Extreme is gonna be a hike compared to Mach V. Buy anyways, for the guy who started this post, go to yahoo.com, and get into yahoo groups. Join the group DSMCA. It's the Capital Area DSM Club. Post your ? up and you'll get hella responses. They are helpful as hell, alot better than DSMTALK.com.
Old 02-12-2002, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help on a DSM boost problem (ZCTURBO)

Mach V & Extreme both have good customer service. The problem I see with these DSM shops is everyone is RIDICULOUSLY faithful. Everyone swears by Buschur products just because its Buschur, or Extreme or wherever, instead of just buying the best product for that particular application.

MD-DSM is also a good group. Definitely check out Extreme or MachV, both do good work. I've also heard nothing but praise about Old Dominion.
Old 02-13-2002, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help on a DSM boost problem (newgsrdriver)

The problem I see with these DSM shops is everyone is RIDICULOUSLY faithful.

You're absolutely right on that one. The good thing with all these DSM shops around though is that you don't have to buy overpriced Japanese parts. I'll buy Bushur's or Extreme's catback before I buy Tanabe, APEXi, or HKS.