Notices

Help deciding what clutch to go with

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help deciding what clutch to go with

I have a stock B16 that I will turbo here very soon. I have all the parts ready to go. I just need to decide what clutch to go with. My setup will not exceed 250 hp. I have a smaller turbo and want to make it a good daily driver. I have done some research and I like the exedy stage 1 but am not sure if it will handle the power level. I have had a spec clutch before in a mustang but it didn't last long on daily driving and I was not happy with it (I know it's not a Honda but I have also heard a lot of bad things about them in a Honda too). Does anyone have any experience with exedy? Also is stage 1 ok with that power level?
I looked through a lot of threads and did a lot of searching and could not really come up with a definitive answer. If you have any threads that will help please tag them for me.

P.S. I don't really want to go overkill with it because it is still my daily driver. I want to keep it close to stock and keep the reliability of a stock clutch on the street.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help deciding what clutch to go with

im doing a similar build but wont waste time on a stg1 or even stage 2 unless its rated for some torque i wont reach. an act stage 2 or competition stage 3 for me im thinking since the car will see more power down the road
Old 04-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine wont see more power though. Have you had experience with a stage 1 on a low boost build?
Old 04-01-2012, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had an ACT full face (stage 1 ) on my turbo B16, car made 240 whp, clutch didn't last long, maybe 4 months and it was hammered.

I would go with above a stage 1 on any brand. I am using a rigid 6 puck on my current build.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cm stg 3
Old 04-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think mines stock but not sure. sprayed 65 dry in second on it no slippy but how long would it of lasted right?

clutch master stage 3 sounds good too all so pricey tho
Old 04-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sprung hub act 6 puc would be a good street clutch. the exedy 2 is alright, just didn't like the start off and reverse chatter of the 3puc. easy to drive once you're going though

ANY ceramic clutch will reveal weak motor mounts with a quickness. if you don't already have avid/hasport now is the time to upgrade

also agree on avoiding organic clutches, even the stage1 type with the beefy pressure plates. unless you are going to run 180lb or less for torque they will get hammered quick. they also can't take a beating at the track like ceramic can

on NA motors i would say just the opposite and always go organic...just depends on the engine tq and intended use
Old 04-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did u ever sell your clutch racebum?
Old 04-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

week or so ago it left, HT member gave me 315 for it which was a smoking deal he's probably LOL'ing about. thing was like new

really lol part of the story is this

sold it and thought, man, i liked that flywheel, almost wish i would have kept it for the new engine

order jdm itr motor, engine shows up with exedy flywheel and stage 1 clutch....which is my choice for an NA engine anyway {less holding capacity but no chatter}
Old 04-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

right on, so everything is ok in racebums world lol. gonna stick strictly na now or thinkin about some more boost down the road?
Old 04-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Action Clutch
Old 04-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ALL M0T0R
Action Clutch
nice choice. i used an action 2md setup on my vitara motor a few years ago. that engine made about 250hp and 220 ftlbs. i drove the thing almost every day and put 10k miles on it in a year
Old 04-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Spec 3+ or cm stage 3 or clutch master fx300
Old 04-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blackeg
nice choice. i used an action 2md setup on my vitara motor a few years ago. that engine made about 250hp and 220 ftlbs. i drove the thing almost every day and put 10k miles on it in a year
I currently have daily driven their 6 puck, unsprung disc with a heavy duty pressure plate (stage 7 or w/e their best is) for the last year. Car gets its share of beatings as well.. I have found them to be a nice choice. Only draw back to me, is the amount of material , wish there was more.. its not a 80k clutch system, but i dont see why it wouldn't be a 20-40k.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the help. I talked to the people who are tuning my car. They showed me a bunch of options and gave me some insight. I ended up going with a Comp stage 4, 6 pad. They said it gives pretty good engagement with street driving and the reliability will be good.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:06 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

i have the cc stage 4 6puck
great clutch
my driving is cruising mostly, i dont speed much or power shift but that clutch will let you know whos boss when you get on it
Old 04-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Whiterice-gsr
right on, so everything is ok in racebums world lol. gonna stick strictly na now or thinkin about some more boost down the road?
thinking c5 z06 down the road. my problem with hondas is the cash invested versus resale. i added up the cost of a sleeved bottom end, whole 9 and then thought about what it would be worth in 2 years.

long story short if you build the **** out of one of these you better not be concerned with resale. the theft part also made me nervous. i'm just going to run this stock R engine for awhile until a find a good buyer for my entire car
Old 04-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by racebum
thinking c5 z06 down the road. my problem with hondas is the cash invested versus resale. i added up the cost of a sleeved bottom end, whole 9 and then thought about what it would be worth in 2 years.

long story short if you build the **** out of one of these you better not be concerned with resale. the theft part also made me nervous. i'm just going to run this stock R engine for awhile until a find a good buyer for my entire car
yup vehicles are definatlely the worst investment ever.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ALL M0T0R
Action Clutch
I currently have an Action PP with a Clutchnet disc in my car. Setup is holding 520/340 without a problem. 2nd gear burnouts, 7k at the light preloading, 24.5x8's. I love the clutch until I get my twin disc in the car. I daily drove it on an LS all summer last year. AC/PS car with a Fidanza flywheel. Just was nice to drive.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This has a lot of good information on it about clutch upgrades, which is a must on any FI. Maybe someone should add it to the FAQ section. I looked through that section but nothing on clutch upgrades and what to get.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just an update. I installed my comp clutch stage 4. Don't have any issues with it yet. Only put about 50 miles on it. But it was a good thing that I changed my clutch out because I found out that my driver's axle was broken, needed a new flywheel, and I need new motor mounts. So now I have a new axle in it, new factory flywheel, and energy suspension motor mounts on the way.

P.S. It is a pain in the *** to change out the clutch in your driveway on jack stands...
Old 05-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

changing the clutch is easy lol the r&r on the tranny is what blows.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have put over 500 miles on the clutch so far and not any real issues. Shakes a lot sometimes when it catches in first gear but I have new motor mounts ready to install so hopefully it will help a little with that. Just got it to redline today and shifted to test it out. Worked perfect and chirped third gear without even shifting hard. Happy with it so far. I am getting fab done on my exhaust then the turbo will go in and we'll see how well it holds up.

Thanks for all the help. I will keep you guys updated on how it all works out and give numbers.