Notices

HELP!! Car won't turn off!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 10:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HELP!! Car won't turn off!

I just finished installing a resistor box and a set of DSM injectors. The car starts and runs fine, but it won't turn off. Even after I pulled out the key and the battery, it still kept on. The only way I got it to turn off was to yank the ECU.

So what did I **** up?
Old 04-16-2005, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HELP!! Car won't turn off! (JRciv)

turbo timer?
Old 04-16-2005, 10:44 PM

Default Re: HELP!! Car won't turn off! (SHystrdyGSRtdy)

Heh, I think I would have figured that out...

Also, I'm using uberdata to control the injectors. But I don't think that's the problem because all I did was take my existing chip and scale the maps for larger injectors.

And how the hell does the engine even run when I take the battery out? I think my car is possessed.

In case it matters, it ran by itself for about 3 minutes before I pulled the ECU. Then I plugged the ECU back in and turned the key to the "on" position. When I pulled the key out, the dash was still lit up as though the key was still set to "on." So clearly this is an electrical problem. But I can't see any flaws in my wiring.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

exorcism?
Old 04-16-2005, 10:56 PM

Maybe...

I almost crapped my pants when I pulled the battery and it kept going.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRciv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe...

I almost crapped my pants when I pulled the battery and it kept going.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well a car can run without a batt i believe.. it's primary use is to start the car
Old 04-16-2005, 11:06 PM

Are you using a turbo timer? If so, take it out, connect everything back together and see if it still does it. Eliminate some possibilities.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:08 PM

Default Re: HELP!! Car won't turn off! (sporkcrx)

I'm JR supercharged...
Old 04-17-2005, 12:17 AM

Bump before I pass out for the night. HELP HELP HELP I have 12 hours to fix this problem.

Forget everything else in this post; here is a breakdown.
-Just installed DSM 450's and a resistor box
-Now when I put the key in the ignition and turn it to "on" then remove the key, the car effectively stays on. All those little dash indicator lights stay on like when you first start your car. The radio, however, turns on and off as is should.
-If I start the car, it runs until I pull the ECU.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:34 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You dont need a battery to sustain an engine running, only to start it. What do you think an alternator does?

Your wiring is def messed up somewhere.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HELP!! Car won't turn off!

I'm just amazed that you boosted your car and you're tuning it with uberdata and you could say something like this...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRciv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I almost crapped my pants when I pulled the battery and it kept going.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRciv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And how the hell does the engine even run when I take the battery out? I think my car is possessed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Modified by Sam1am26 at 5:46 PM 4/17/2005
Old 04-17-2005, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP!! Car won't turn off! (Sam1am26)

holy ****, me too.Uber, JR charger and dsm 440's, when i goto to turn it off in Reverse it stays running, but as soon as u take it out of reverse, it shuts off.I thought my car was Fed up.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP!! Car won't turn off! (93supercoupe)

I think I know your problem!! When you wired in the resistor box where did you pull the 12V from. If you follow one of the resistor box istall guieds on here make sure you are not pulling 12v from another part of your harness or from a constant 12v source. You shoudl be pulling the 12v (red wire on resistor box) from the injector junction plug, basically where you cut the wires the four for the injectors go to the four on the resistor box and the other four that are left since you cut them in half get bunched together and are put onto the red wire of the resistor box as in this pic...

also here is a very good guide to resistor box instilation if you never saw it before

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=517274
Old 04-17-2005, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP!! Car won't turn off! (DOHCarp)

Also the car will stay running cus you are keeping a closed loop with the main fuel relay if oyu are feeding the injectors or the injector distribution block with an outside 12v source.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:07 AM

I would never pull the ECU while the car is running. Your just asking to fry something. Just pull the wiring harness clip for your distributor if it happens again.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:01 AM

Default Re: HELP!! Car won't turn off! (Sam1am26)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sam1am26 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm just amazed that you turbo'd your car and you're tuning it with uberdata and you could say something like this...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You know what, just keep your smart *** comments to yourself. At least I can read - I DON'T HAVE A TURBO.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:04 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DOHCarp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think I know your problem!! When you wired in the resistor box where did you pull the 12V from. If you follow one of the resistor box istall guieds on here make sure you are not pulling 12v from another part of your harness or from a constant 12v source. You shoudl be pulling the 12v (red wire on resistor box) from the injector junction plug, basically where you cut the wires the four for the injectors go to the four on the resistor box and the other four that are left since you cut them in half get bunched together and are put onto the red wire of the resistor box as in this pic...</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's the wierd thing - I didn't even tap into the distribution block. I have a 98 civic so the block is buried underneath my supercharger and Icouldn't get to it. So all I did was slice the resistor box directly inline with the injectors. I don't see what possibly could have been messed up.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:06 AM

Default Re: HELP!! Car won't turn off! (gsrsp33d)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsrsp33d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would never pull the ECU while the car is running. Your just asking to fry something. Just pull the wiring harness clip for your distributor if it happens again. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the tip. I was definitely leary about pulling the ECU.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:08 AM

I just don't know guys. I unplugged my ECU and the car does the same thing - dash stays lit when key is removed.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 04-17-2005, 11:41 AM

Unhook the resistor box.

It is wired incorrectly. If this just started after the injector install, I think we can rule out the turbo timer.

It does sound like you have a constant 12v wire spliced into your resistor box -

Review the wires that you spliced into the resistor box. Use a voltmeter to see which ones give you current when the car is off if need be.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: (DragSource)

UPDATE:
I just went over all the wiring for the injectors/box and everything checks out. What else might I have bumped/unhooked by accident?

The power stays on when I unplug the ECU but shuts off when I removed the "F/I EM" fuse.

PS - If I hear the phrase "turbo timer" mentioned one more time...

Old 04-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JRciv)

turbo timer
Old 04-17-2005, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SHystrdyGSRtdy)

i dont understand how your engine can run without a battery i mean how is the ecu getting power to tell teh injectors and such what to do....just dont get it...
Old 04-17-2005, 01:40 PM

Default Re: (JRciv)

your ignition switch may be wore out...

you're obviously getting +12v from somewhere thats always hot to the RUN wire in your ignition or SOMEWHERE along that circiut. it's keeping your ecu and main relay (why the fuel pump stays on) hot hence why your engine stays running.

Quick Reply: HELP!! Car won't turn off!