Notices

HELP: Car stalls when VTEC/boost kicks in !

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 03:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: Car stalls when VTEC/boost kicks in !

Hey whats up! Im new to the forum and really need expert help or advice. As stated above, my problem is that when VTEC opens up at 4500-5000RPM, the car stalls but when I throttle some more, the car pulls really hard with the boost kicking in up untill 8500RPM then i let off... Just wondering what might be the problem, unfortunatly we dont have a dyno here on island so everything is street tune. Here are the specs on the motor... the distributer and cam sprockets are left at ZERO. and the ECU is made to SPEC for the motor from Pherable.net. Any help is greatly appreciated ! Thanks in advance!

Specs:
JDM B16a OBD2
Skunk2 68mm TB
Skunk2 Pro Intake Mani
Skunk2 Valves/ Dual Valve Springs/ Retainers
Skunk2 Tuner Series 1 Camshafts
Skunk2 Cam Sprockets
Turbonetics T3/T4 turbo kit
AEM Fuel Rail/ Fuel Pressure Reg
Vortech FMU
440cc RC Injectors
Civic Type R Pistons
Pherable.net ECU

Boosting @ 8psi

Last edited by bOOsT-WHoRE; 01-04-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP: Car stalls when VTEC/boost kicks in !

sounds like you need to adjust your timing and get a good tune in.
and you are running ctr pistons? thats high as ****kk compression for a boosted car. what octane gas are you running? i hope at least 110 lol
Old 01-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You need a tune, you car prob has a rich spot at vtec crossover.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:04 PM

what pherable.net gave you is called a basemap, your not supose to hit boost and drive the **** out of your car its just good enough so you can drive it to your tuner and get it tuned
Old 01-04-2009, 08:31 PM

You didn't mention what tuning software you're running, but if you have access to the engine calibration, take a look at your ignition maps. Make sure that the ignition value is about the same on the low and high maps during the VTEC switchover, or you're going to get bucking / stalling.

Also, why the FMU?
Old 01-05-2009, 01:42 AM

Thanks for all your replys to the thread... Yes i know that the CTR pistons are kinda too high comp for a boosted car, and im running 92 plus 2 Octane Boosters per fueling... Im pretty sure that the stalling could really be because of the CTR pistons, the ECU was actually made for a B20Vtec, which i am waiting for the block from the junk yard... I also know that the Pherable.net ECU is a base map ECU cause i spoke to the guys on the phone... they did mention that the ECU would be good enough for a street tune cause there is no dyno on island... BTW im not driving like a mad man... just yet, untill i can get over this stalling... I have a SAFC that I can install to lean out the fuel when VTEC opens... I just gotta get a A/F Gauge, and still waiting for my AEM Boost guage to come in... Just curious could it also be that the distributer and cam gears are still set at ZERO ? Thanks again guys for all your help, keep them coming !
Old 01-05-2009, 02:16 AM
I serve phở for my babies

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bOOsT-*****
Thanks for all your replys to the thread... Yes i know that the CTR pistons are kinda too high comp for a boosted car, and im running 92 plus 2 Octane Boosters per fueling... Im pretty sure that the stalling could really be because of the CTR pistons, the ECU was actually made for a B20Vtec, which i am waiting for the block from the junk yard... I also know that the Pherable.net ECU is a base map ECU cause i spoke to the guys on the phone... they did mention that the ECU would be good enough for a street tune cause there is no dyno on island... BTW im not driving like a mad man... just yet, untill i can get over this stalling... I have a SAFC that I can install to lean out the fuel when VTEC opens... I just gotta get a A/F Gauge, and still waiting for my AEM Boost guage to come in... Just curious could it also be that the distributer and cam gears are still set at ZERO ? Thanks again guys for all your help, keep them coming !
that SAFC is junk, get rid of it if you already haven't, wait til you get that a/f gauge, boost gauge AND a tuning software before you drive your car or do anything..(hondata, s200/s300, or crome)

right now since you don't have an a/f gauge you have no clue what your a/f ratio is right?
since you don't have a boost gauge do you know if you are boost creeping?

your distributor and cams set at "zero" probably isn't the culprit here, you really dont' want to mess with your cams unless you have a dyno around there.. you don't really know if adjusting them made your add or lose power
Old 01-05-2009, 03:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

get rid of the FMU and get a 255 pump
Old 01-05-2009, 03:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

first off you have an fmu and larger injectors. the fmu increases the fuel pressure drastically as boost increases. this is intended to increase the flow capacity of stock injectors, since you are running larger injectors/chipped ecu you dont need the fmu.

get the car tuned
Old 01-05-2009, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the replies again guys... I forgot to mention that the car already has a 255 pump... so i will ditch the FMU and go from there... as far as the SAFC... its all i have on hand at the meantime, but if it really is junk then i dont need it... and i could only try and save for the Hondata... but then im back to the same problem on not having a dyno to tune the car... but let me try the FMU and go from there, thanks guys ! Any more expert advice is appreciated ! Thanks again in advance ! Shoots !
Old 01-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when VTEC opens up at 4500-5000RPM, the car stalls but when I throttle some more, the car pulls really hard with the boost kicking in up untill 8500RPM then i let off...

Vortech FMU
Civic Type R Pistons
Pherable.net ECU
Here are you problems....You need to tune the car, your saying that your not beating on it but yet your say your hitting vtec and boost....Without tuning the car it can blow at any moment...Fmu are bad news, heard about alot of problems....92oct with those pistons is kinda scary to me but its your motor...please get the car tuned
Old 01-09-2009, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you need jet fuel!!lol
you done need a dyno to tune, there are widebands so uou can get a good street tune if a dyno is outta reach.
hondata+ tune+better gas= a motor that will last you a billion times longer.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:42 PM
I serve phở for my babies

Thanks for the replies again guys... I forgot to mention that the car already has a 255 pump... so i will ditch the FMU and go from there... as far as the SAFC... its all i have on hand at the meantime, but if it really is junk then i dont need it... and i could only try and save for the Hondata... but then im back to the same problem on not having a dyno to tune the car... but let me try the FMU and go from there, thanks guys ! Any more expert advice is appreciated ! Thanks again in advance ! Shoots !
i'm not saying you don't believe me but the reason why it's junk is because it basically tricks your map and whatever other sensors it does it to..

so if you tune your turbo setup with that safc, and a wire comes undone you pretty much lost your settings and you are back to using the stop maps in your ECU..