Heat wrapping the cold side intercooler piping?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat wrapping the cold side intercooler piping?

I have heard that intake charge temps after a very efficient a/a FMIC will exceed engine bay temps in almost all situations so that wrapping the cold side intercooler piping would be counterproductive. The theory goes that without the pipes wrapped, the pipe itself acts as a heat sink and serves to further cool the intake air. True or false?
Old 01-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heat wrapping the cold side intercooler piping? (g_man1968)

What the expletive?
Old 01-22-2006, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heat wrapping the cold side intercooler piping? (racinskittle)

Yea, its a part that acts to take heat away from one area and disipate it to another. Specific parts which act as heatsinks are created in a number of situations that require cooling - most notably the inside of computers. I do understand that the intercooler piping is not created to be a heat sink. What I am trying to figure out is whether wrapping that pipe is a good idea or counterproductive.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heat wrapping the cold side intercooler piping? (racinskittle)

Racin skittle, nice edit. And very informative by the way. I take it that this is how you normally help people out?
Old 01-22-2006, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is an interesting question. I suppose the best way to find out would be to try it yourself and see if you get lower intake air temp readings.

My guess is that it wouldn't help. This is assuming that your turbo's air intake is in the engine compartment too -- so you know that the air going into the cold side starts out equal to the underhood temps. Then, since it's compressed by the turbo, it should be even higher. So, basically, the underhood air would be cooler than the air in the pipe heading off to your intercooler. Might as well leave that pipe bare.

I would actually bet that you'd get the better result by wrapping the charge-pipe from the intercooler to the throttlebody. This would insulate the air that's just come from your intercooler, so it doesn't get heated back up by the underhood temps.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heat wrapping the cold side intercooler piping? (rhettster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by g_man1968 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have heard that intake charge temps after a very efficient a/a FMIC will exceed engine bay temps in almost all situations so that wrapping the cold side intercooler piping would be counterproductive. The theory goes that without the pipes wrapped, the pipe itself acts as a heat sink and serves to further cool the intake air. True or false?</TD></TR></TABLE> "Without the pipe itself wrapped the pipe itself serves as a heat sink and serves to further cool the intake air." Makes no sense what so ever, do you know how a intercooler works? If so think about the statement above.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heat wrapping the cold side intercooler piping? (rhettster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rhettster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would actually bet that you'd get the better result by wrapping the charge-pipe from the intercooler to the throttlebody. This would insulate the air that's just come from your intercooler, so it doesn't get heated back up by the underhood temps.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am talking about that pipe. The issue turns on whether the cooled air from the intercooler is indeed cooler than the engine bay air. I have read that even cooled air can be as much as 200+ degrees F. at WOT. If not, then the route from the intercooler to the throttle body could serve to further cool the air if the pipe was left bare.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heat wrapping the cold side intercooler piping? (turbozxi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> "Without the pipe itself wrapped the pipe itself serves as a heat sink and serves to further cool the intake air." Makes no sense what so ever, do you know how a intercooler works? If so think about the statement above. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, mine was a question - not a statement. I am not sure why you don't understand the concept. When the intake air leaves the turbo it is fairly hot (say 300 degrees for sake of argument) and then is cooled by the intercooler to a lower amount (say 200 degrees). If the air temps in the engine bay are 120 degrees, then wrapping the pipe from the intercooler to the throttle body could serve to keep the heat IN the pipes. In such a case, leaving the pipe bare would be better as there would be more of chance for the air temps to equalize meaning the charge air could be cooled further.

The problem that I have with the concept is that a good FMIC should do very well at reducing temps to something only marginally above ambient. If the charge air is cooler than the air temperature in the engine bay, wrapping would seem worthwhile.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:27 PM

I've done datalogging on my Intake Air Temp sensor and have seen my intake manifold temps continue to go down the faster I go. I started on an on-ramp to the HWY with IAT's at 75C, after shifting through 2nd to the top of 3rd the IAT's were at 49C. I don't know what my engine bay temps were.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heat wrapping the cold side intercooler piping? (phresh_5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phresh_5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've done datalogging on my Intake Air Temp sensor and have seen my intake manifold temps continue to go down the faster I go. I started on an on-ramp to the HWY with IAT's at 75C, after shifting through 2nd to the top of 3rd the IAT's were at 49C. I don't know what my engine bay temps were.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Now THAT is some interesting information I would never have predicted. Unless, of course, the initial temp you are talking about was at idle (or very slow) so there was not air passing through the intercooler. Do you notice the same thing if you go from say 30mph to 70mph?
Old 01-23-2006, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone else have IAT's logged under various loads/speeds with a FMIC?
Old 01-23-2006, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I too wondered about this, but I think the gains would be very minimal, and probably not worth the price of the heat wrap. It seems to me, the best way to help reduce underhood temps, and IAT temps is to heat wrap your mani/dp, perhaps a turbo blanket/and or heat shield, and find a nice spot for your turbo's intake to get cool air.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by g_man1968 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone else have IAT's logged under various loads/speeds with a FMIC?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Air temps will always drop when vehicle speed increases with an FMIC. It should drop close to ambient air temp while doing a WOT pull. If under any circumstances that your air temps start increase during a WOT pull at high speed, it is a sign that the intercooler is too small or not efficient enough (ie: poor airflow, shitty core, etc).

Wrapping the charge pipe in the engine bay would be beneficial for those who have plenty of hot exhaust parts snaked inside the engine bay (sidewinder folks, top-mount setups, etc). I personally do not like wrapping the upper charge pipe because I hate the ghetto look, plus the benefits are barely noticeable if engine temps are under control.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by g_man1968 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well, mine was a question - not a statement. I am not sure why you don't understand the concept. When the intake air leaves the turbo it is fairly hot (say 300 degrees for sake of argument) and then is cooled by the intercooler to a lower amount (say 200 degrees). If the air temps in the engine bay are 120 degrees, then wrapping the pipe from the intercooler to the throttle body could serve to keep the heat IN the pipes. In such a case, leaving the pipe bare would be better as there would be more of chance for the air temps to equalize meaning the charge air could be cooled further.

The problem that I have with the concept is that a good FMIC should do very well at reducing temps to something only marginally above ambient. If the charge air is cooler than the air temperature in the engine bay, wrapping would seem worthwhile.</TD></TR></TABLE> Oh I thought it would be obvious that the engine bay will be hottter then the intercooled air. It definitely is. Unless you have major problems.

Using aliminum piping is said to be good as it doesn't hold the heat in the the pipe work and its light. Personally I HPC'd my steel piping.