IS head work necessary for a heavy turbo app?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS head work necessary for a heavy turbo app?

Tried doing a search. Several different ways, several different times. My plan is to build a b18b bottom end to withstand 15-18psi off a turbonetics t3/t4, possibly t4/t4. My question is since I'm not going to be revving out to the moon (i'm coming from n/a setup) is it really necessary to be doing head work?

If so, I'm having trouble finding parts. So far all I'm coming up with is components by Crower. Cannot find anything as far as camshafts.

For clarification I wish to build an LS turbo. So for now b18b bottom end, b18b head. Maybe in the future pulling my type r head and making lsvtec turbo. but baby steps for now.

thanks ahead of time.

matt
Old 11-14-2004, 10:28 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: IS head work necessary for a heavy turbo app? (tunedek)

dont bother putting money into a ls head besides better v. springs.

save your money for a itr or gsr head. if you are going to do a gsr head you could get a valve job and light porting. that will of course help out.

it all depends upon the rest of your setup. if you are running a cast manifold, with a crappy intake manifold and 2.25" exhaust. then you need to upgrade your other stuff first.

turbo projects cost alot of money, so budget your **** out first. i doubt you will have money left over.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:35 AM

Default Re: IS head work necessary for a heavy turbo app? (Bob-DC2)

its not so much the money as it is time. ive been bitten by honda and i want it yesterday you know what i mean?

i have to agree with you though. i see myself using my itr head later.

so anyone else have any takes on this? again, is it safe/necessary to being running that kind of pis on an oem head. i'm new to turbo apps so i'm not very well versed on what kind of added stress a turbo is going to put on my head.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO LS head isnt worth the time or money. They can be made to flow decent, but not worth the headache to me. I can tell you now a stock Vtec head is more then enuff for big power.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:48 AM
95GSRTT

No, it is not necessary at all. It will of course help out, and will make it so your TQ curve doesnt fall off after 6k, but if you get the right tuner and right turbo, you wont really need to worry about it.

And screw a vtec head, there is nothing wrong with just porting the LS head at all.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:32 AM

Default Re: IS head work necessary for a heavy turbo app? (95GSRTT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95GSRTT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No, it is not necessary at all. It will of course help out, and will make it so your TQ curve doesnt fall off after 6k, but if you get the right tuner and right turbo, you wont really need to worry about it.

And screw a vtec head, there is nothing wrong with just porting the LS head at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks 95gsrtt. I would really like to stay away from a frankeinstein motor. But I seem to be alone on a nonvtec motor. i figured too that a decent port is all i really need. as far as power falling after 6k ... that would be most related to the camshafts right? not really a huge concern because i dont plan on revving out much past that. maaaybe in the future grab a cam that goes to like 7500.

thought i'd edit that last comment for those that love to pick apart words. i know the oem b18b will go that high but as far as tq curves being steady that high I think id need a bigger cam. thanks.

Modified by tunedek at 1:59 PM 11/14/2004
Old 11-14-2004, 01:03 PM
New User

As most guys here have already said, head work is neither necessary or needed w/ a LS. For the amount of money it would cost to do headwork on a LS head, you could buy a VTEC head and be much better off performance wise.

If you don't plan to "rev it to the moon" may I suggest a smaller turbo for your setup. I have a sc34 (a T3/T4) on my b18b, and it's fun, but making boost at 4k and having to shift 3k later is a bit of a bummer. I do plan on making upgrades to increase my redline and thus widen my powerband. It doesn't sound like you are interested in the same, so you may be better off going with a smaller turbo, less peak hp, but a much wider powerband for your setup.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:22 PM

Default Re: IS head work necessary for a heavy turbo app? (Rain_man)

thanks for that point:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rain_man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you don't plan to "rev it to the moon" may I suggest a smaller turbo for your setup. I have a sc34 (a T3/T4) on my b18b, and it's fun, but making boost at 4k and having to shift 3k later is a bit of a bummer. I do plan on making upgrades to increase my redline and thus widen my powerband. It doesn't sound like you are interested in the same, so you may be better off going with a smaller turbo, less peak hp, but a much wider powerband for your setup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

deffinitely something to consider. i do want alot of peak power but you're right. i am looking for a wider powerband than 3k.

anyone else have some insightly feedback.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:01 PM
95GSRTT

Well for the torque curve you would need better camshafts which is correct. But also the way the LS head is ported, it is made for more low end. Thats why a good port will do alot of good for top end.

I think alot of ppl just talk **** out their *** on this subject. Sure a vtec head will flow better stock for stock. But putting a vtec head on an ls motor is upwards of 1k. 1k can get you springs/retainers that will allow upto 9k revs, some crower cams, and a nice big port and polish.

From my personally opinion, I would rather go this way and not worry about vtec and all that bullshit. Too many ppl just wanna say they have vtec on their car. You can make your LS head flow just as well.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:23 PM
New User

Default Re: IS head work necessary for a heavy turbo app? (95GSRTT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95GSRTT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well for the torque curve you would need better camshafts which is correct. But also the way the LS head is ported, it is made for more low end. Thats why a good port will do alot of good for top end.

I think alot of ppl just talk **** out their *** on this subject. Sure a vtec head will flow better stock for stock. But putting a vtec head on an ls motor is upwards of 1k. 1k can get you springs/retainers that will allow upto 9k revs, some crower cams, and a nice big port and polish.

From my personally opinion, I would rather go this way and not worry about vtec and all that bullshit. Too many ppl just wanna say they have vtec on their car. You can make your LS head flow just as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

A LS head that makes comparable power to a VTEC head at 9k is going to have a lumpy idle and be gutless down low. No big deal on a race car, but not too great for a street car.

Yeah, sure tons of people do want the VTEC bling for no good reason, but lets not discount the fact that VTEC does work by giving you two cam profiles.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:24 PM

alright well i might as well do the head since its all apart. sooo ... does anyone knw who makes valves, springs, retainers, camshafts for the LS b18b head? So far I have only found springs/retainers from crower.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Crower makes cams too, http://www.exospeed.com has a bunch of LS stuff. Nonvtec for life.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (D15B7turbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D15B7turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Nonvtec for life.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I love my LS turbo and I am sure that I will stick w/ it for a while. Do what YOU want to do!

Phil
Old 11-15-2004, 08:04 PM

Default Re: (hondaguyef)

damn decisions decisions.

i could build the ls head and make it have some great top end and flow just as well as a vtec head would. but then i'd have a lumpy idel. or i could build a vtec head have a smooth idel and pull hard on top end. though the ls may pull harder down low. plus the ls/ls is meant to be where as the lsvtec is a freak. a powerful one but not a match meant to be.

something to consider i have a new complete valvetrain sitting a home brand new. im sure i could sell if close to what i bought all of it for so compensate for the cost of the ls components. hum.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tunedek)

Rough idle is hot, nobody will mess with you
Old 11-15-2004, 08:20 PM

i'd just put a vtec head on it
Old 11-15-2004, 08:22 PM

Default Re: (D15B7turbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D15B7turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Rough idle is hot, nobody will mess with you </TD></TR></TABLE>

Boy, did I love the little burble I got at idle with HKS 272/272's in my DSM. Sounded nice, but not obnoxious. But if you build a car purely for sound, you definitely are a ricer
Old 11-15-2004, 08:33 PM
95GSRTT

Default Re: (tunedek)

The lumpy idle is way overrated. You can dial out a lumpy idle pretty damn easily. Especially with the 402T cams for the LS. They wont be lumpy at all. It only gets bad with like 404s and they can be dialed out considerably.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:38 AM

Default Re: (95GSRTT)

granted the rough idle sounds pretty niffty but boosted92 is right you're only a ricer if that why you build your motor - to listen to yourself. that's like masturbation for your exhaust. lol. sounds like alot of you turbo motors already. can any of you suggest a quite BOV. i dont feel like crusing down main street sounding some alien invaders game with my crazy pulse cannon souding BOV going off every time i have to stop at a light. my friend has a BOV like that and it gets annoying.

I got my motor last night I'm ******* excited! Im taking it to get sleeved TH and am going to start shopping for rods. Prolly eagle 'cuz them and crower are 4340 material and crower i think i'm paying for a name.

Matt.