Notices

Head Lifted!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Lifted!

Yesterday i installed a forge ball and spring manual boost controller on my car and took it for a ride where the boost controller only had like 4 clicks. I installed the MBC by on the side port goes to the wastegate and the bottom one to the turbo. Did a second gear pull n boom.. Car shuts off white smoke behind me where i cant even see. I pull over and see coolant dripping from somewhere but dont know where. Car still turned over constantly. It had stock head studs. Is this a big problem where i blew my motor? Or did i just blew my headgasket and have to get a new one with arp head studs? What someone told me was i boost spiked somehow but i have a stop map sensor so would it cut off at 11psi? Im going to take the head off today install the studs and send the head out for inspection. But if i fix the headgasket n all that my car should be back up and working normal right? or did something also mess up that i should look into?
Old 01-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Head Lifted!

You should have started with the BC fully closed, and then incrementally upped the boost. This is assuming you have plenty of fuel and enough map sensor to reach the boost level you wish to see. Also, why did you not have boost cut enabled? Especially when doing something like this. If your ECU does not have that capability you need to be using a different tuning tool. You will also want to check your deck along with the head. Make sure nothing is warped. Hopefully everything turns out ok, do it right the next time and be careful.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So i take it u dont have a BOOST Guage? so who knows how much u were boosting!! and yes stock map sensor stop reading at 11psi but it wont boost cut off at 11 unless ur tuner told it to!! so more then likely u spiked up words around 20 and who knows what happen! gotta pull the head and see whats going on! good luck! my advise, dont install a boost controller unless u have a guage and know what ur setting it at!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Track Advocate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had my head lift. not to the point where it blew white smoke but the temp kept rising at idle. replaced the headgasket and installed arp studs and didn't have any more problems
Old 01-20-2012, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did the car overheat at all? Correct me if I'm wrong but a head/deck will only warp if the car overheated and blew the gasket? I think you're safe if it didn't overheat, just do an inspection of everything when you take it off and replace the headgasket, get ARP studs and torque it all down right
Old 01-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that's not head lift, lol. you blew the motor.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kyden
that's not head lift, lol. you blew the motor.
He may be ok, we do not know that yet. If he caught it and didn't drive around like that that is.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a boost gauge but i was watching my a/f when i was doing this. The car shut off right when it pulled really hard. N i pulled over right away n checked wtf happened n got the car towed home. If i blew the motor the motor wont even turn over. It turns over i think the only reason it wasnt starting was because the spark plugs were flooded with coolant. The car didnt overheat cuz it just shut off on my first pull. Im taking my head to get it inspected anyways for any warps. Only thing i may have to do from people tell me is to get the stud holes re threaded cuz i probably stripped them. I think i just blew my headgasket i dunno. Going to take everything apart tonight after work. I just want to know if everything else is fine n the car just needs a new gasket n studs n im set to go
Old 01-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I also had coolant all over my engine under the mani. N was burning all of it from the heat.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dammm ballers on a budget shops lovem
Old 01-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You either lifted the head or cracked a sleeve from what it sounds like. You'll find out when you pull the head off. Maybe it just lifted since you had coolant blown out of the engine, but I'm not sure. Let us know what it is
Old 01-20-2012, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea im hoping its not a sleeve. If i cracked the sleave would the car still turn over like how its doing now?
Old 01-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lifting a head in my experience only results in pushing coolant out of the reservoir. you went beyond lifting a head.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My tuner said i lifted the head cuz i have stock studs and they probably stripped. I had coolant all under my car i dunno where it came but my block had coolant every where the mani is.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your motor will still crank over with 3 broken rods. ask me how i know sounds like more than a headgasket to me
Old 01-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like ur gona be in for a surprise.......
Old 01-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That sucks hope you figure it out. What size spring were you running in the wastegate? Just curious why you needed a boost controller with the stock map sensor. We all learn from mistakes though...
Old 01-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol epic fail
Old 01-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hondatech8798
sounds like ur gona be in for a surprise.......
Originally Posted by JDMCIVIC919
Yea im hoping its not a sleeve. If i cracked the sleave would the car still turn over like how its doing now?
Yes depending on how bad

Originally Posted by BigMike0147
You either lifted the head or cracked a sleeve from what it sounds like. You'll find out when you pull the head off. Maybe it just lifted since you had coolant blown out of the engine, but I'm not sure. Let us know what it is
I am betting cracked sleeve. Just went thru that week
Old 01-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

Same guy who was beating on his car with "low oil pressure." Funny because I was going to post in your other thread yesterday about how you'd probably have another thread up in a few days wondering why your motor was blown.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does a head really lift? I just can't see it phyiscally lifting from the pressure the turbo is adding on top of the immense pressure of combustion. usually its just the headgasket on its way out anyways.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the top of your rad blown open? If so you most likely cracked a sleeve.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you bet the ****er can lift with all that pressure. im nervous myself on stock studs but they were replaced with new oem about 4 years ago if that matters?
Old 01-21-2012, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah the head can lift. the bolts stretch, its not like it lifts up alot but enough to blow out the gasket
Old 01-21-2012, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDMCIVIC919
What someone told me was i boost spiked somehow but i have a stop map sensor so would it cut off at 11psi? Im going to take the head off today install the studs and send the head out for inspection. But if i fix the headgasket n all that my car should be back up and working normal right? or did something also mess up that i should look into?
Fatal misconception in bold. No, the stock MAP sensor does not force a boost cut, it is simply the range of boost that it can detect. At 20psi the MAP sensor still thinks it's 11psi because it's maxed out. The only place you could have had a boost cut would have been at 10psi, within the range of the stock MAP sensor.

What you did was you installed the MBC wrong, more than likely you installed it backwards. You then experience as massive boost spike, went extremely lean, and likely cracked a sleeve and melted pistons.

Head lift doesn't push coolant out of the block, and it only happens during boost, overpressurizing the system and pushing coolant into the overflow. Read, head lift air goes into the coolant jackets, coolant doesn't go into the cylinders. What you have is catastrophic failure of some kind.

Quick Reply: Head Lifted!