Notices

Having Problems with new Motor Build: Please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having Problems with new Motor Build: Please help!!!

aight guys heres my problem...
just put together my first built motor and im having issues with it staying alive. Sometimes the car will start fine and idles fairly good but after letting it sit for a few minutes it just dies out. i try to give it some gas when i see the idle drop but it doesnt affect anything. i know there is nothing wrong with the throttle cable because when its idling fine it will rev up and rev up clean. its just when it starts to sputter and die out nothing on the throttle will affect it.
i tried taking it around the block and datalogging it...it seemed to ran fine for a little bit but then the same thing...sounded like the car was gasping for air and then just died...again i tried to put a little gas and still didnt affect the revs. i tried to record the datalog on my laptop but the battery died and it didnt save it. but while i was monitoring it it seemed fine. the map i am running right now is something i had a friend (local shop owner) burn me just to get the car going to where i can put a few miles on it to break it in and drive it to get it tuned. im assuming its the same map off of his car because he was running a very similar setup. i looked the map over on my computer before i put it in the car and everything looked fine.
im gonna try a few more things (recheck map sensor wiring, maybe recheck the timing, and a few other things) but if anyone might have experienced this or maybe know what the hell might be going on please give me some input (thanx in advance) !!!

heres my setup...
LS sleeved block, 81.5mm Endyne rollerwave pistons, eagle rods, B16A head w/ GSR cams, Full race style manifold, precision SC61, precision 880cc injectors, hondata s200B,
Old 02-07-2005, 06:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Having Problems with new Motor Build: Please help!!! (curiousgpnoy)

1) Cam phase
2) Static ignition timing
3) Vacuum leaks
Old 02-07-2005, 07:00 AM

Default Re: Having Problems with new Motor Build: Please help!!! (beepy)

sorry man i dont know what you mean by "cam phase" and "static ignition timing"
Old 02-07-2005, 07:02 AM

i just went out there to start the car and it started up great...on startup it didnt really smoke but the longer i kept it on the more it smoked. i was reving it up and down and trying to hold it at a steady 2 grand then after like 7-10 minutes it sputters and dies. i check the codes and im throwing a 14 (iacv) and 22 (vtec pressure...which i havent hooked up yet)...but these 2 codes i wouldnt thing would keep it from running or make it die.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:06 AM

Blue smoke or black smoke?
Old 02-07-2005, 07:08 AM

Default Re: Having Problems with new Motor Build: Please help!!! (beepy)

not sure but it doenst look dark like black....so i know its not running rich
Old 02-07-2005, 07:13 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

I just experienced similar problems with my setup...it runs funny and kind of wants to die. My problem was the IM gasket...I tried re-using the old one after having some head work done and the sealing portion of the gasket for the coolant passage was not in the best of condition. I was sucking coolant into the #4Cyl making it run funny and some steam was coming out of the exhaust. I've got a Hondata heatshield gasket on the way, and hopefully I'll have it back together this weekend. Check this out, and hope it helps.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:16 AM

Default Re: (DaX)

yeah i did reuse the intake manifold gasket...it was some kinda plastic one so i figured it was decent quality to reuse it
Old 02-07-2005, 07:22 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

The Hondata IM gasket is supposed to be reusable...I'm not sure about the other companies' plastic IM gaskets. Take your IM off and look in the #4Cyl port on the head for sludge or anything that looks like coolant is being sucked in there.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:32 AM

Default Re: (DaX)

aight i just took it around the block a couple of times...car seems to be pulling okay so i really dont think its a timing issue. but the thing it still wont start on its own...it needs a little help with some starter fluid. and when it does start up i hear a weird popping sound (but only on startup)...not for sure what it is yet.

car still smokes a bit but i htink its just the oil thats left in the exhaust (not 100% sure though).
Old 02-07-2005, 09:24 AM

Default Re: (curiousgpnoy)

TTT

c'mon i need more input
Old 02-16-2005, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (curiousgpnoy)

Why 880cc injectors with such a small motor?
Old 02-16-2005, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Almtrhb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Almtrhb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why 880cc injectors with such a small motor?</TD></TR></TABLE>

what kinda question is that.

with a sc61 im sure he needs the 880's

platinum.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by curiousgpnoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just went out there to start the car and it started up great...on startup it didnt really smoke but the longer i kept it on the more it smoked. i was reving it up and down and trying to hold it at a steady 2 grand then after like 7-10 minutes it sputters and dies. i check the codes and im throwing a 14 (iacv) and 22 (vtec pressure...which i havent hooked up yet)...but these 2 codes i wouldnt thing would keep it from running or make it die.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe get another base map for your Hondata? Sounds like its doing good in closed loop, but open loop it's not doing good ( I could have gotten that wrong, but you know what I'm saying).
Old 02-16-2005, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Having Problems with new Motor Build: Please help!!! (technine)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by technine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Maybe get another base map for your Hondata? Sounds like its doing good in closed loop, but open loop it's not doing good ( I could have gotten that wrong, but you know what I'm saying).</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's what i was going to say.that map sounds wack.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Having Problems with new Motor Build: Please help!!! (espanol)

yeah my car acted the same way on a base map... not that the map was so crapy, its more that the injectors are so big it's hard to get a base map to work with them...

as long as there's no leaks, vacum is good, and there's no cels, compression is fine... I say get that thing tuned!