Notices

Had a leak down and compression test done-looking for suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2001, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had a leak down and compression test done-looking for suggestions?

Here are the results:
Cylinder Compression Leak-down
#1 90 35%
#2 150 18%
#3 0 100%
#4 0 100%

I guess I have been having a little too much fun.... I was told it was my rings and head gasket.....
I jumped in on Importparts.com deal on JE pistons and Eagle rods (I went oversized by .02) I am going to get my block resleeved- I was thinking about going with the Godzilla sleeves.
Hopefully I will be able to find someone with a Hondata 4b who could help me fine tune my set up after everything for a max of 12 psi. I will get bigger injectors and the intake manifold gasket with the Hondata 2b. I heard there is a new store in N. Kirkland that isn't authorized Hondata dealer- next to Ford of Kirkland- but they supposedly have a lot experience with Hondata? I haven't been there yet.....
While I have my engine apart, is there anything else I should upgrade- I was thinking porting and polishing the head.... (Another question, by porting the cylinder head I have heard you lower you compression- could I get the Mugen Head gasket to raise compression a couple tenths?)Taking a Dremel to the Drag III exhuast manifold.
I apologize for the length.

In short, I am running on one cylinder and rebuilding engine: 9:1 JE .02 over, Eagle rods, (Thanks Ben!) most likely Godzilla Sleeves- Hondata 2b and 440s (or 550s?) any other suggestions?
Your friend in Seattle,
James
Old 12-02-2001, 08:24 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Had a leak down and compression test done-looking for suggestions? (Sleeper in Seattle)

Tear down your motor first and figure out what you're gonna need, then do some research and figure out what you want.

Did your car actually RUN at the time of the compression/leakdown?
Old 12-03-2001, 12:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Had a leak down and compression test done-looking for suggestions? (Phantom)

if your car was running at the time of the leak down test...its running on more then 1 cyl. You should pull the head and check the rings and cyl walls. You might be fine and just get away with new rings and a new head gasket.

Although the new setup you mentioned will hold 30psi of boost with good fuel management.

liam
Old 12-03-2001, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Had a leak down and compression test done-looking for suggestions? (Sleeper in Seattle)

Thanks for the replies! My engine still runs well above 3500rpm. Below that it lags a lot more than it used to. The idle sounds and feels like a '68 Camero with big cams.
I will tear the engine apart as soon as my friend's beater is available. I am still learning, so I figure if I have to pull everything apart might as well build everything while it is apart. If anyone has any more suggestions of other improvements I should do while I have everything torn apart they would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 12-03-2001, 08:06 AM
New User

Does the car smoke? Could be a burned piston or something too.... Mine RAN with this and HAULED *** once it hit boost...

The city should have payed me for smoking for mosquitoes tho

[Modified by SiR Kid, 11:06 AM 12/3/2001]
Old 12-03-2001, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would go with some JE 9.1 pistons and some eagle rods or Crowder if u have a few bux to burn.

stock headgasket
Arp Headstuds
Old 12-03-2001, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Had a leak down and compression test done-looking for suggestions? (SiR Kid)

Hey! That I don't see much smoke, except on full throttle every once in a while. It has always put out a little smoke, even when I was all motor. But it still has a lot of power in boost.
I was told by the dyno place that did the leak down that it was the headgasket and rings. But my car drives fine except down at lower rpms- then it just bogs...
Old 12-03-2001, 09:30 AM
New User

Def not a burned piston then... Probably rich at idle, or maybe fouled plugs... and then the smoke is rings. Does it like to give a good puff when shifting at redline?

Rings
Old 12-03-2001, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Had a leak down and compression test done-looking for suggestions? (SiR Kid)

I had been running super rich with 310s and 8:1- but now I am back to stock injectors and 12:1. I had my car stalling issues before (it would die on the freeway just by puting the clutch in and letting the rpms drop!). It hasn't died with the stock injectors in.
The compresion was #1 cyl 75 #2 150 #3 0 #4 0 and the leakdown was #1 35% #2 18% #3 100% and #4 100%. The rings are definately gone. Hopefully with the Hondata I won't have to worry about running rich.
So all in all my list looks good for my rebuild?
Old 12-03-2001, 07:36 PM
New User

I have a set of SRP 9:0:1 pistons for sale, if your interested email me at Lia920@aol.com.
Thanks and good luck
Drboosted

[Modified by Drboosted, 4:37 AM 12/4/2001]