Notices

h23a overheating after boosting

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h23a overheating after boosting

ok i just got my car back from the shop. Iam currently going through my breakin, the car runs really stroung. (1992 h23a turbo) iam also running a fmu for now. After i put a few miles on it my cars starts to overheat and the reserve starts to slowly fill. I just bought a koyo 55mm alu radiator core about 1 year ago and never saw overheating problem's. Only thing i done was change the cap last night.
So i made the car cool off for a little and drove it again. After another 4-5 miles the car started to over heat anybody can help me ...iam really broke and have a hard time

also my a/c fan had to be removed cause of fitment issue's, should i upgrade my oem fan with a slim or are thier both the same just different size?

Modified by TonyTurbolude at 2:10 AM 10/24/2004
Old 10-24-2004, 04:30 AM

anybody? this really sux i cant even drive like 15 min before i start to heat up
Old 10-24-2004, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you go over everything tony? did you make sure theres no air in the sytem.. or maybe your thermostat is stuck
Old 10-24-2004, 02:00 PM

Default Re: (chitownrida)

ok i took all the air out of the rad, put in a new thermostat. but i noticed something today. Well this is what i think is going on. i dont think my engine is overheating, i think my radiator is just getting really hot.... Since i have the big koyo alu radiator i think the turbo is to close to the radiator causeing it to overheat. Because the temp gauge in my car(electric gauge) was in the middle. While the reserve for my antifreeze was coming out. Anybody think this could be a facter. iam really stressed out cause the car is running Great. Boost coming in right about 3600 and just running %100 except for the overheating..... so what u think about the turbo to close to the radiator?
Old 10-24-2004, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TonyTurbolude)

dam that sucks...i am going through the exact same thing literally. i just got my car back and it has been overheating ever since too. with the same symptoms. i changed the radiatir to a fluidyne and got a new thermostat and it was still overheating. right now i have the cams out and am about to change the head gasket and hope for the best. i noticed with mine that it only OH after boosting. my theory is that the hg is letting air into to the coolant and causing the radiator to presurize. i had one slim fan running constantly and it still heated up
Old 10-24-2004, 03:52 PM

Default Re: (Deckedlude)

good point i havent thought of that. But what do u think about the turbo being to close to the radiator. another thing i noticed is that the the inlet and outlet hose's are both not hard( u know when u press them to see if thier is fluid) so now iam thinking ok atleast i know its getting through the engine and once it hits the rad it just starts to come out of the reserve. Tommorow iam getting it towed to the shop and have it check it out hopefully i can get it running so i can take some video and pick's currently running 7psi on the t3/t4 a/r .63 wish me luck
decked get back to me as soon as u get your car up an running let me know how u doing.

btw whats your setup
Old 10-24-2004, 06:32 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check and see if your headgasket is blown. What your describing sounds like what happend to my sisters car when the HG was blown. It never really blew and white smoke. It just boiled all the coolant out of the rad into the overflow can and the car would overheat.

Good Luck

Blaze
Old 10-24-2004, 06:39 PM
I live under a rock

Default Re: (Blaze45)

My guess would be head is lifting as well....... are you running arp studs? I'm conviced that there might be a bad batch of them out there for h23s...
Old 10-24-2004, 06:43 PM

Default Re: (Deckedlude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deckedlude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dam that sucks...i am going through the exact same thing literally. i just got my car back and it has been overheating ever since too. with the same symptoms. i changed the radiatir to a fluidyne and got a new thermostat and it was still overheating. right now i have the cams out and am about to change the head gasket and hope for the best. i noticed with mine that it only OH after boosting. my theory is that the hg is letting air into to the coolant and causing the radiator to presurize. i had one slim fan running constantly and it still heated up </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm going through the same thing, i got my car back from my tuner, and a month later it wants to overheat.. I'm running NO thermostat, a fan wired on constantly and a PWR Civic Half Radiator. I'm 99.9% sure it's a fractured headgasket, this gives you an excuse to do some nice headstuds while your at it ! Btw, we did a test where if the water in this cylinder turns yellow (exhaust in the radiator) then it's conclusive, it's a blown HG, (and the oil in the radiator) we did it, and it was yellow.. Did it again, didn't do it, so pretty damn sure it's a fractured HG which = No regular symptoms of constant white smoke and car feeling like ****.. what so ever, empty overflow, and high temps is the culpret..
Old 10-24-2004, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (90integra05)

had a similiar prob w/ my built gsr when i just finished it.. turned out i got lazy and didnt run the little line at the front of the head to the back of the head where the thermo housing is located.. this caused my temp gauge to rise and gave me OH problems.. once i figured that out and rerouted the little line like i was supposed to, my problems went away..

SO, check ur coolant lines and make sure they're routed the way they're supposed to be routed... just another thing to check out.. sometimes, no most of the times, the simplest mistakes cause the biggest headaches...
Old 10-25-2004, 04:04 AM

Default Re: (spoolinlude)

well i do have arp studs installed as of now. I thought they were considered the "best". Well my car is being towed today to the tuner. After paying him so much money i shouldnt worry what the prob is. He has to, he told me he will pay for the towing, n e wayz ill get back to u guys today or tommrow and ill find out what was wroung. iam pretty sure it isnt a headgasket since its brand new all the seals in the engine are new.

-tony
Old 10-25-2004, 11:34 AM
I live under a rock

Well just cuz the gasket is new, doesn't mean it won't blow, i've seen motors with 5miles on them and bad HG's..... ARP makes a good bolt, i'm just a bit skeptical since a few different H23 guys have had problems...
Old 10-25-2004, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

seems like a hg issue, does the car overheat just idling?

Old 10-25-2004, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spoolinlude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spoolinlude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well just cuz the gasket is new, doesn't mean it won't blow, i've seen motors with 5miles on them and bad HG's..... ARP makes a good bolt, i'm just a bit skeptical since a few different H23 guys have had problems...</TD></TR></TABLE>

and i run oem bolts

but sounds like a headgasket to me
Old 10-25-2004, 04:30 PM

ok i just got my car back. The problem was the fan relay. Sometimes it wanted to go on and sometimes it didnt, after hot wireing it to make it stay on the car didnt over heat once, replace the fooked up fan switch and now she cooling off pretty good. My gauge stays in the middle and doesnt move a bit. I had my sensor's check to see if they work ok. Now i have another problem, after driveing for like a hour the car is still cool but when i turn it off it comes out of the reserve like a water fall. Now iam like wtf the car is running cool but after i turn it off it comes out of the reserve. Iam thinking it can be a good amount of air in the system. or if u guys know anything it should help

When the car is parked and on. The fan kicks in like 4-5 times and i know its cooling. Just after i drive for alittle bit of time and i shut her off it comes out of the reserve
Old 10-25-2004, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your overflow is filling up and spilling coolant out of it then i am 99% sure its your headgasket. This has happened to me twice.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHC_MShue)

it is deffinately your head gasket.... i know it sucks i was having the same problem
Old 10-25-2004, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree with you deckedlude, because i had the same probem before, changed out the headgasket and it was gone
Old 10-26-2004, 03:59 AM

This morning before i drove i turned on my car with out the radiator cap on... and let it warm up, after 15 min it started to burb and alot of air came out of the system. This is the second time i have burbed it. Then i drove it on the highway for about 9 miles, and drove back to my house another 3-4 miles. Turned off the car and it didnt overflow the reserve just shut off and cooled off.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:33 AM

Most definetely the HG if bubbles form at the radiator neck during idling
Old 10-31-2004, 10:56 AM

ok well problem is fixed. and no it wasnt the head gasket. The cap i had didnt hold enough pressure. My tuner grabed a radiator cap from a toyota supra which holds 13Ibs and the car is running great. And my fan rely was shot to. The car is now holding the pressure and running cool. Thanks guys for your post's and thoughts.