Notices

h22a-1 ecu

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h22a-1 ecu

so i have recently switched from a dsm to a honda......freaked me out to...i drove a 97 gst eclipse.....i traded it for a 94 honda prelude vtec plus some cash....after having all the engine and tranny checked out i have ordered a t3t4 hybrid kit....i dont know alot about honda ecu system so i need some advice.... will i have to purchase a mod for my stock ecu or will i ahev to purchase a whole new management system? i mean this is the only part of the instalation that i am partially clueless about. i didnt know if the whole piggybakc thing worked for H22a-1 or not so can you guys please help me out. maybe some links might help where i could check out some recomended products. thank you
Old 06-15-2006, 02:43 PM

Default Re: h22a-1 ecu (jmwill3407)

I am no expert, but I could point you in a couple of directions.

If you bought a turbo kit, it will most likely come with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a missing link hack to fool the map sensor. You could run 6-8 lb boost with that type of setup and have mild performance gain. Your cheesey dirty and most unrecommended route for some sort of engine management would be an Apexi Vafc - real tuners will probably laugh at you.

If you are serious about making your car perform and last - read on:
***** http://www.pgmfi.org forum is the best place to post ECU questions click "Enter" at the bottom of the page - they are a bunch of tuning fanatics, and there is a special Prelude/Accord forum for H22/F22 people.

The next cheapest route and a hundred times more efficient would be an ECU chip with Uberdata or Crome to program it:
http://www.ecimulti.org/ - theres a link there to the Uberdata forum where you can download it and ask ??s

You can buy a Uberdata ECU chip kit here $15: http://www.moates.net/uber1-ub....html - get the ZIF socket if you buy this, it is a must. Then you will need a chip burner, they are usually $30-50, check on the pgmfi forums, there is usually someone selling them there, or theres always ebay.

I believe you have a P13 ECU, which isnt too popular in the chipping area, many people swap them out for a P30 or something like that, the most versatile ECU is the OBD1 P72 GSR 94-95, it supports knock sensor which the others dont.

All of this requires opening the ECU and soldering, the Apexi route just requires that you tap into the wire loom, but gives you very minimal control for the cost. I am a fan of the chipped P72.

If you want to spend some bux - get yourself an S300 or something from Hondata. There are others of course, but Hondata seems to be the most popular, and not quite so expensive as some of the others.

Next step find a dyno shop that can tune you with a wideband, most support hondata, and many are familiar with Uberdata/crome.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST - dont use other peoples fuel maps, your ECU needs to be tuned for YOUR motor, every motor is different, and this is a risk, use the basemaps to get rolling on low boost and then get tuned with a wideband before you put your foot on it. I have seen so many motors blown the first week on boost because of this.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:45 PM

the kit comes with turbo, feed lines, piping, clamps, intercooler, manifold and downpipe.so if i was to get a hondata s200 or s300 would i be completly set as far as ecu parts?i also ordered a fuel pump.. i dont know about what size injectors i should upgrade too?
Old 06-15-2006, 05:49 PM

btw....thanks for sharing your knowledge
Old 06-16-2006, 12:20 AM

Default Re: (jmwill3407)

An S300 should take pretty good care of things. - but again I would recommend looking around on the pgmfi.org forums and also call a Hondata dealer, ask them, see what your more comfortable with.

injectors - what size turbo is it, what hp are you looking for?

rule of thumb - it takes 6 cc of fuel to safely produce 1 hp, so if you are shooting for 300 hp - divide by 4 cylinders and multiply by 6 = 450 cc injectors at the very least, you would really want something larger to keep your duty cycle within the injectors limits. At 100% duty cycle a 450 would do the trick, but you dont want your fuel system to be working that hard, ideally you want it between 50-80% duty cycle, so a 550 would be better. there are tons of things to factor that can help you precisely pick your injector, if you can get specs on what the turbo flows, there are calculators that will tell you exactly what to get, here is a simple one which recommend 590cc for 300 hp: http://www.witchhunter.com/injectorcalc1.htm - read the note at the bottom of this page about fuel pressure (raising pressure too much is dangerous-)

Be carefull what type injectors you get, there are 2 types of injectors - hi or low impedance, if you get the wrong one you may need some additional hardware to wire them up. If you get too large of an injector you will have trouble getting it to idle.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (totalimpact)

Correct, I would run 550cc injectors if you want 300whp.

Hondata s300 is by far my choice for EMS's on daily driven turbo set-ups.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:22 PM

i dont know alot about h22 numbers so i couldnt say what hp i might be pushing with 8 psi from a t3/t4. i would ahev to look at the trim stats...but i was planning on keeping the boost below 9...i am running stock internals. i almost ordered 440's before reading this but now i might go ahead and go with the bigger size. i talked to the only local dyno shop around and the test and tune will cost me 3 to 500$$$$$$$
Old 06-16-2006, 04:52 PM

ya, these tuners typically charge $125 per hour, and a tune takes minimum 2 hours, usually 3-4. You gotta know these guys are responsible for your motor, which isnt a cheap thing, if they arent responsible, then you better not be paying them that much - thats why I dont charge my friends anything - I aint responsible for nuthin

You should ask your tuner what systems they are familiar with - that is what you should base your management choice on really.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jmwill3407 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont know alot about h22 numbers so i couldnt say what hp i might be pushing with 8 psi from a t3/t4. i would ahev to look at the trim stats...but i was planning on keeping the boost below 9...i am running stock internals. i almost ordered 440's before reading this but now i might go ahead and go with the bigger size. i talked to the only local dyno shop around and the test and tune will cost me 3 to 500$$$$$$$ </TD></TR></TABLE>

8psi on a stock H22a will be fine... as long as you have the proper fuel upgrades and tuning. Tuning is the key.

If you aren't too far from DFW I would recommend going with Tony Palo.(http://www.t1racedevelopment.com/)