Notices

H22 turbo tunning experts needed Please help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 turbo tunning experts needed Please help!!!!!

allright I am building my turbo h22 hatchback. I have a few questions for some of u knowledgeable people here about tunning my H22 turbo hatch.

I am looking for a conservative tune for fuel and ignition maps cuz I do have a stock bottom end H22, and cant afford to blow this thing up. I was going to get my dyno guy to tune the car around 12.0-12.4 to 1 air fuel ratio. Any suggestions or inputs on this figure. I also wanted some suggestions on total timming. I wanted to know what would be the most amount of timing i could run safely with this setup? And what would be the reccomendation for a conservative timming? Also I am looking into getting a 2 stage manual boost controller (turboxs). disadvantages and advantages to this type? Also switching boost loads will the air/fuel ratio, and timming be ok? What are your thoughts on this? I was thinking about running 5-6 pounds daily, and 9-10 pounds at the strip, and on the weekends. Also will the stock head gasket be able to handle this amount of boost without any issues? Here is my setup. Please feel free to make suggestions on things that I need to change, or add.

-98 Civic CX hatchback
-hasports mounts and axles
-stock H22A (10.6 to 1 compression)
-AEM fuel rail, w/ FPR
-SK2 cam gears
-Precision SC 44 .63 AR
-Love fab Mini-me
-custom intercooler pipping
-vertical flow Spearco intercooler 27 X 11.5 X 3
-Tial 38 MM wastegate
-Turboxs RFL BOV
-RC 550 CC injectors
-Hondata S200B
-2.5" custom downpipe
-custom 3" exhaust with Manaflow muffler, and Dynomax resonator
-MSD digital 6+ (using launch control as full throttle shift)
-custom made clutch switch for MSD full-throttle shift

hoping for 300 WHP on 9-10 pounds.

thanks.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:10 PM

Default Re: H22 turbo tunning experts needed Please help!!!!! (Honda_Tengoku)

come on people? Anyone?
Old 07-22-2004, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u will probally be pretty close to 300 i made 314 with stock motor and 12 pds and basic tunning
Old 07-22-2004, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 turbo tunning experts needed Please help!!!!! (h22 civic)

if you cant afford to blow up an h22, then dont boost it. Period.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:10 PM
WEST COAST

Get 2mm or 3mm headgaste boost around 12 psi you will make over 300 hp easy turbo a little small I would have gone something largerjust my 2 cent
Old 07-22-2004, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 turbo tunning experts needed Please help!!!!! (SPARK RACING INC.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SPARK RACING INC. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get 2mm or 3mm headgaste boost around 12 psi you will make over 300 hp easy </TD></TR></TABLE>

its not the high compression you have to worry about, its the super weak ringlands on h series motors that like to crack
Old 07-22-2004, 01:58 PM

Default Re: H22 turbo tunning experts needed Please help!!!!! (Mase)

Agreed....

I know this from experience...

Mine let got after a few months of 270whp at 9psi.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:25 AM

Default Re: H22 turbo tunning experts needed Please help!!!!! (Alstare)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Alstare &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Agreed....

I know this from experience...

Mine let got after a few months of 270whp at 9psi.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what was your setup? turbo? fuel management? timming? air/fuel ratio?
Old 07-23-2004, 09:26 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22 civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u will probally be pretty close to 300 i made 314 with stock motor and 12 pds and basic tunning</TD></TR></TABLE>

BTW are u apart of Laorange auto service?
Old 07-23-2004, 09:34 AM

Default Re: H22 turbo tunning experts needed Please help!!!!! (Mase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you cant afford to blow up an h22, then dont boost it. Period.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I appreciate the info, but every time u start adding aftermarket parts whether it be forced induction, naturally aspirated or whatever u take that chance. I disagree totally with your statement. All honda engines can be boosted without blowing them up. Its just knowing where your limits are, and of course tunning is the key. I supposed I should re-phrase that question. Maybe I should have said what is the "safest" way to do this.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:40 AM

I dont want to answer for him, but I think he is going to say that H22's are at a particular disadvantage because of the FRM sleeves. You cant go to an aftermarket piston like you can with a B series motor without resleeving the block. The motor itself can handle the boost fine, but a chain is only as strong as its weakest link...and in this case that weak link is the ringlands.

Can you budget a bit more to get the block sleeved? Sleeves + pistons + rods would make the block pretty much bulletproof...but I do see your dilemma...its not really worth it for the small numbers you are shooting for.

Good luck.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:52 AM

Default Re: H22 turbo tunning experts needed Please help!!!!! (bomber)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bomber &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont want to answer for him, but I think he is going to say that H22's are at a particular disadvantage because of the FRM sleeves. You cant go to an aftermarket piston like you can with a B series motor without resleeving the block. The motor itself can handle the boost fine, but a chain is only as strong as its weakest link...and in this case that weak link is the ringlands.

Can you budget a bit more to get the block sleeved? Sleeves + pistons + rods would make the block pretty much bulletproof...but I do see your dilemma...its not really worth it for the small numbers you are shooting for.

Good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes I know this. I am just asking questions about this setup. Obviously future plans are to rebuild the engine, with darton (or midway sleeves), wiesco pistons, eagle rods, Type S cams, mild port and polish, and of course some other bolt ons (and other parts that I have not listed). Right now although I cant afford to blow it up. Kinda short on cash flow. I just spent 3000 + on the turbo setup, 7,000 on the car )engine swap, rims, tires, suspension, interior parts ect). So I think u can see why I have a bit of cash shortage here. I mean in about 6-12 months I will have enough to build it. I just dont want to blow it now.....
Old 07-23-2004, 10:00 AM

Well, some people (tuned by lorange guys, etc) have had success with running the stock h22 block...but I think everyone agrees its a risk (especially at 10psi).

So basically you have 2 choices.

1. go for it, tune convservative, hope for the best (but be willing to blow it up)
2. run n/a until you can afford to build the motor completely

As for details on 'going for it'...talk to tyler h and tunedbylorange. I think tunedbylorange had some threads in the aempower forum about their setup too..you might search for it to see if it has more details about their tuning. It was with AEM EMS but it would still be better than nothing.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:31 AM

its what u wanna do but i would build it cause h22a mtrs arent cheap
Old 07-23-2004, 12:22 PM

Default Re: H22 turbo tunning experts needed Please help!!!!! (d17a turbo)

They arent too bad for price. Got to know where to look. I got my whole setup for 1600 dollars for engine, LSD tranny, ECU, cables, shifter assembly, resistor box, EGR lift solenoid. Ohh yeah BTW It had 25,000 kilometers on it. How do I know? I bought the JDM spec prelude it came out of.

Ok how about conservative tunning gentlemen??? what u think about 20-24 degrees total timing, and about 12-12.4 air fuel ratio?
Old 07-23-2004, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda_Tengoku &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

BTW are u apart of Laorange auto service?</TD></TR></TABLE>
no but i know him he made power also with stock block tunning is key i was actually tuuning for torque instead of h/p at the time