Guys I screwed something up doing my turbo timer install! Please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 06:56 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guys I screwed something up doing my turbo timer install! Please help

OK I'm starting on my turbo install and I was in the middle of hooking up the blitz turbo timer. I needed to splice into 3 wires, 12v constant, 12v ignition, and accessory. Well I was doing the 12v constant, and I had the splice ready, I go to clamp that metal piece down with pliers and the pliers touched up against a piece of metal and sparked. Well I checked the wire and it shorted out!!!! I checked all the fuses (under the dash and in the engine bay), not sure if their are any more and all look good. I checked the wire again and it's still dead. I dont know wtf it's for or what it goes to. I cranked up the car tested out everything like the lights and windows, everything works.

Ok the wire I spliced into has 4 or 5 other wires going into the plug. The plug goes into this black piece about the size of your thumb and then, no wires come out of it. Its attached right next to the fuse panel. I have no idea what it's for or how to fix this. I dont think I should drive until I figure out what the hell I did. I can take pics of what I am talking about, cause it kinda complicated. Let me know what I should do. I'm desperate!
Old 05-12-2002, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Guys I screwed something up doing my turbo timer install! Please help (_Shadow_)

yea u should def take pics and label em and put em up. i'm confused to as which wires ur talkin about and where they're comin from. i'm not turbo expert, but on an electrical note i may be able to help u out depending on how complicated it is, or isn't. just get those pics and make sure they're clear.
Old 05-12-2002, 08:28 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Guys I screwed something up doing my turbo timer install! Please help (_Shadow_)

well, no offense, but that's why you DISCONNECT THE BATTERY before doing any electrical work. this is common sense. it even says that in the blitz manual (i've installed one) as well as other products.

anyways.. we can't really tell what wire you're talking about without pictures.
Old 05-13-2002, 07:02 AM
New User

Default Re: Guys I screwed something up doing my turbo timer install! Please help (adam)

Yes I realize I should have disconnected the battery. I completely forgot Live and learn I guess.

[Modified by _Shadow_, 5:17 PM 5/13/2002]
Old 05-13-2002, 07:22 AM
New User

ok here are some pics....maybe

So obviously its the white wire that the splice is on that doesnt have power anymore. What should I do?
Old 05-13-2002, 07:57 AM

Nothin' like pulling power from a 18 AWG wire to feed a 16 AWG wire.

Get your power from the fuse box or column. I can't help with the fuse issue. Sorry.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Guys I screwed something up doing my turbo timer install! Please help (blowncivichb)

Nothin' like pulling power from a 18 AWG wire to feed a 16 AWG wire.

Get your power from the fuse box or column. I can't help with the fuse issue. Sorry.
Wow, some useful information there.

Did you make sure to check the high amp fuses under the hood--the ones with the clear window on top of them and are rated at 80 and 100 amps? If you grounded the ign. wires out then they will be the ones that pop. I have done it many times back in my car stereo days....
Old 05-13-2002, 08:25 AM
New User

Default Re: Guys I screwed something up doing my turbo timer install! Please help (93LSivic)

Hey I found out what was wrong...my freakin horn doesnt work!!! It was the 20amp fuse in the engine bay. I feel stupid. Well at least I know now

One more question, where SHOULD I be tapping into wires? I dont know how to get power from the fuse box or the column. Someone care to fill me in. Thanks
Old 05-13-2002, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ususally its something stupid like that. Happens all the time...

You can tap the wires into the harness there. But I would highly recommend soldering, and not using those plastic splices.
Old 05-13-2002, 09:55 AM
Trial User

for the greddy turbo timer power wire, i'd tap it into the big white constant under the dash. you can't miss it. that's how i did it. easy way of doing it:

strip a good couple inches off the red wire sheathing
get a pocket knife, cut out a section of the sheathing of the white wire
wrap red wire around white
wrap with electrical tape

good to go.

be sure to disconnect the battery this time

another way of giving it power is to crimp on a slot style connector (hard to explain) and stick it in the spare connector in the under-dash fuse box (#1 in the picture, circled in red)