Notices

guessing when it comes to tuning.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default guessing when it comes to tuning.

Just curious how come some of you guys who run the v-afc hack guess on the settings for fuel. Tuning seems to be a big topic on this site (I'm a big advocate tuning) so to guess at what you think is a good setting makes no sense to me. it's not tuned any better then some other guy who's runing a fmu set-up (in some cases it's probably worse). Now i'm not talking about the hackers who do it rite and have the car tuned on a dyno, i just inquiring about the people who enter a few setting and then drive away forgetting about it since it seems to run ok. Th reason i bring this up is because it seems as though lately there has been an influx in tuning problems (hesitation, bogging,etc) and a lot of the people are runing untuned hack set-ups. I guess maybe i'm just sugesting that more people tune using a dyno
Old 05-20-2003, 08:19 PM

Default Re: guessing when it comes to tuning. (b16ahybrid)

i agree on the dyno tuning. however, you do need to get it at least somewhat running so you know that tuning is all that is necessary. some of these shops charge you for the tuning weather they can tune it or not if you have another installation problem that is preventing them from tuning it.

i have obd2 and set mine based on how the car reacts. the car normally hits full rich at 50% throttle or more. i set my safc throttle points at 45%lo and 46%hi to give me a little bit more fuel at tip in under hard acceleration. my corrections are -46lo to give me the equivalent of stock 240's and -38hi to give me the equivalent of 280's. this is of course to make sure i don't have any other problems with the turbo install. tuners don't want to waste their time trying to fix something just so that they can tune your afc. i at least have a good baseline to work from and i'm going to the dyno thursday to fine tune it. i have a good feeling that the settings are not going to vary that greatly from what i have, but i know the tuner will get everything out of it.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:23 PM

Default Re: guessing when it comes to tuning. (scttydb411)

See i understand that, There are just some people that put generic settings in and never intend to get it tuned on a dyno.Imo it's the best $100 you could spend.