Notices

Gsr transmission capabilities? Noob question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gsr transmission capabilities? Noob question.

Hello.

I tried to do some searching on this in both the forced induction forums and the tech forum, but came up with very little success.

A friend of mine recently purchased a turbo gsr (t3/t4 60 trim @ 15 psi) the tranny just went out on him last week and we have been going through the options. The Noob question is; what kind of power can the gsr ('99) transmission hold assuming an aggressive clutch? Assuming built internals, and axles, what work needs to be done to the transmission to hold upwards of 400 whp? I am in the dark about this and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:35 AM

Default Re: Gsr transmission capabilities? Noob question. (forumnoobie)

I dont know what your friends goals are as far as high hp numbers but the b series ( of course including the grs tranny ) will hold a LOT of power. The max I dont know that depends on setup/use/ and driver. But in general I know they have been used with success in 700+ hp cars. Assuming he isn't building an all out 1,000 hp drag car, I wouldn't be concerned with the tranny holding

What do you mean the tranny "went out"

I personally have seen a sub 400, actually was around 200 hp setup, strip a ring gear but that may be realted to clutch and driver. That is not normal by any means.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:12 AM

Default Re: Gsr transmission capabilities? Noob question. (agrn93ls)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by agrn93ls &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont know what your friends goals are as far as high hp numbers but the b series ( of course including the grs tranny ) will hold a LOT of power. The max I dont know that depends on setup/use/ and driver. But in general I know they have been used with success in 700+ hp cars. Assuming he isn't building an all out 1,000 hp drag car, I wouldn't be concerned with the tranny holding

What do you mean the tranny "went out"

I personally have seen a sub 400, actually was around 200 hp setup, strip a ring gear but that may be realted to clutch and driver. That is not normal by any means. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you for your reply. My friend already as the turbo set up, tuned properly on 15 lbs. The transmission just took a **** on itself, excuse my language. It is making the loudest knocking noise you could ever imagine. But when you depress the clutch the knocking goes away? We took it to one place and they said that he needed an entire new transmission, but the place was shady so we took it to aamco to get a second opinion (still waiting to hear what they said).

I thought the gsr tranny could hold high numbers, but I was making sure. I am pretty sure he had a stage 4 clutch on it. Granted he is an aggressive driver and drives it pretty hard. Anything else besides a clutch needed to support 400 whp on a 99 gsr transmission? Or anything, just to be on the safe side? Thanks alot guys.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:45 AM

Default Re: Gsr transmission capabilities? Noob question. (forumnoobie)

Sounds like you had a mainshaft bearing go bad. I HAVE heard/seen that happen before, thats not really related to the power, so fix it or replace it and no worries.

I think that is what caused the pinion to strip on my buddys car he was not makin much power at all probably under 200. I had a few knockers my self, I let them know till they took a **** and then replaced them, oddly the trannys I trashed were on my hondas that were under 200hp and I beat the dog **** out of them, the GSR I have now is 250 and goin on 4+ years of abuse with no problems, also it may be the original tranny from 95, I dont know I bought the car in 2003.

Keep the oil changed and I switched to 20W50 instead of 10W30 it helps keep down the 3rd gear grind demon.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Gsr transmission capabilities? Noob question. (rota92)

What kind of clutches are you high hp guys using? Also is lsd necessary or advised? I think we are just going to get the tranny rebuilt.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:20 AM

Default Re: Gsr transmission capabilities? Noob question. (rota92)

gsr tranny with a quaife would be ideal, if the quaife isnt in the budget then i dont see any reason you cant successfully use a stock gsr tranny for your goals. a competition stage 4 or 5 would hold 400+ without a problem and is relatively soft on the transmission.