Notices

best tranny for turbo setup?????

Old 10-03-2007, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best tranny for turbo setup?????

so i have a built gsr motor, sleeved84mm cp9.5 pistons. h beam rods full pnp 3angle 1mm oversized valves and ferrera valve train stock cams my question is what tranny shuld i use? i have a gsr tranny and a LS tranny but have heard different things about each. any input would be sick thanks
Old 10-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: best tranny for turbo setup????? (dcCale)

great second post

https://honda-tech.com/zerosearch
Old 10-03-2007, 06:32 PM

gsr, duh
Old 10-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (93 ls)

LS.....stay in boooost longeRRRRR
Old 10-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

depends. i love my LS tranny over any GSR trans any day
Old 10-03-2007, 09:38 PM

i like the gsr tranny with lsd
Old 10-05-2007, 02:56 PM

gsr,gsr,gsr
Old 10-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (93 ls)

I think it depends more on how much power you are going to make and is this a track car or a drag car and more variables. The LS gears are longer therefore you will have a higher top speed. The GSR is shorter and will have quicker acceleration which COULD hurt you if your making too much power because you can find it hard to grab traction with alot of power and short gears.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redDAinteg)

with 500-600 whp would u say the gsr or ls tranny?
Old 10-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (SiR Koopa)

I would probably lean with the LS tranny , just because 500whp with a front wheel drive already has no traction. Shorter gears would only add to wheelspin.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SiR Koopa)

ITR tranny and boost controller that can do boost by gear. It will out accellerate all the other trannies with your setup if you do it right. Using a LS tranny to compensate for traction issues is retarded.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Blown90hatcH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blown90hatcH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ITR tranny and boost controller that can do boost by gear. It will out accellerate all the other trannies with your setup if you do it right. Using a LS tranny to compensate for traction issues is retarded. </TD></TR></TABLE>
HOLY ****...I just noticed you have over 97364 post but anyways...I got better results with the GSR gearing and like you said..."boost control per gear"
Old 10-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (redDAinteg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redDAinteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would probably lean with the LS tranny , just because 500whp with a front wheel drive already has no traction. Shorter gears would only add to wheelspin.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what drag radials and slicks at the track are for.

i make 415whp and just switched from open diff ls trans to gsr trans with lsd. damn, its not even comparable. yes now my car spins right through 3rd on street tires, but thats also contributablel to the drag coilovers. at the track with the slicks im very happy with the gsr.

also i thought id be pissed driving around at higher rpms compared to ls tranny, and its no big deal at all.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a ls on my b16a and i like to not shift as much and look around unstead of my tach so ya plus doin 75-80 in second is pretty cool and hearing everyone shift into 3rd and your still in second reving the **** out it
Old 10-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stockb18c)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stockb18c &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a ls on my b16a and i like to not shift as much and look around unstead of my tach so ya plus doin 75-80 in second is pretty cool and hearing everyone shift into 3rd and your still in second reving the **** out it </TD></TR></TABLE>

HAHAH. Classic.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:10 PM

Default Re: (Blown90hatcH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blown90hatcH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

HAHAH. Classic. </TD></TR></TABLE>

so true...to bad you moved. im building the car now. wish you were here to see it when its done. im gonna get a ls trans so i can look around while driving and hear ppl shift into 3rd while i am revving the **** out of it....el oh el
Old 10-06-2007, 08:21 PM

Default Re: (stockb18c)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stockb18c &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a ls on my b16a and i like to not shift as much and look around unstead of my tach so ya plus doin 75-80 in second is pretty cool and hearing everyone shift into 3rd and your still in second reving the **** out it </TD></TR></TABLE>

ditto.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

really depends on wat u doing with the car. if ur just going track get the gsr but if all ur doing is for the street just use the ls tranny. and comparing an open diff tranny to one with lsd is just plain stupid and a very in accurate way of comparing 2 tranny's. a tranny with an LSD will be nite and day difference compared to one without
Old 10-07-2007, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bigbadboy)

for the newbz..

Gear ratios are merely a way to trade torque for rpm. With a higher numerical gear ratio, you are putting more rpm at the wheel. With closer gear ratios, you are able to stay at a higher rpm in between shift points. Something like the LS transmissions are suited more towards the broad torque curve/low reving LS engine. It keeps you in the peak torque area in between shifts. The ITR/SI/GSR transmissions keep the rpm's built up in between shifts, to stay in the more peaky powerband.

Having said that, for the track the itr/si tranny is the best hands down. Most high whp turbo engines are operating between 5.5-9k, and having their shift points in between. In combination with a tall slick size (24.5"+), and the high shift point (8.5-9k), you are able to keep the engine operating within the optimum torque curve.

With the LS transmission, between shifts it would possibly drop you out of the optimal powerband and therefore make you slower. Gearing simply put allows you to stay in the powerband of your engine in between shifts.

The myth that you stay in boost longer with the LS transmission makes you faster is purely false. Think about that statement for a second. Acceleration is the measure of velocity over a unit time. Watching the rpms climb on the tach during a 3rd/4th gear pull, they would be climbing slower than with the si/itr tranny. Looking at the definition of acceleration as a measure of velocity over a unit time, the engine would be getting to the same velocity over a slower time lapse. This would yield slower acceleration, and simply put make you slower.

Having said that, the gsr transmission is probably the best balance of a street/strip transmission. The gearing is a little less aggressive as the itr/si transmissions, which will yield a little more traction. For all out acceleration si/itr tranny wins hands down. For a slower car, go with the LS transmission. :D

Modified by mike93eh2 at 6:41 PM 10/7/2007
Old 10-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike93eh2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for the newbz..

Gear ratios are merely a way to trade torque for rpm. With a higher numerical gear ratio, you are putting more rpm at the wheel. With closer gear ratios, you are able to stay at a higher rpm in between shift points. Something like the LS transmissions are suited more towards the broad torque curve/low reving LS engine. It keeps you in the peak torque area in between shifts. The ITR/SI/GSR transmissions keep the rpm's built up in between shifts, to stay in the more peaky powerband.

Having said that, for the track the itr/si tranny is the best hands down. Most high whp turbo engines are operating between 5.5-9k, and having their shift points in between. In combination with a tall slick size (24.5"+), and the high shift point (8.5-9k), you are able to keep the engine operating within the optimum torque curve.

With the LS transmission, between shifts it would possibly drop you out of the optimal powerband and therefore make you slower. Gearing simply put allows you to stay in the powerband of your engine in between shifts.

The myth that you stay in gear longer with the LS transmission makes you faster is purely false. Think about that statement for a second. Acceleration is the measure of velocity over a unit time. Watching the rpms climb on the tach during a 3rd/4th gear pull, they would be climbing slower than with the si/itr tranny. Looking at the definition of acceleration as a measure of velocity over a unit time, the engine would be getting to the same velocity over a slower time lapse. This would yield slower acceleration, and simply put make you slower.

Having said that, the gsr transmission is probably the best balance of a street/strip transmission. The gearing is a little less aggressive as the itr/si transmissions, which will yield a little more traction. For all out acceleration si/itr tranny wins hands down. For a slower car, go with the LS transmission. :D</TD></TR></TABLE>

enuff said
Old 10-07-2007, 06:22 PM

yeah i think im gonna use the gsr tranny a had it on my old setup and loved it but have heard alot of talk about the longer gearing in the ls tranny
Old 10-07-2007, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dcCale)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dcCale &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> have heard alot of talk about the longer gearing in the ls tranny</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, don't listen to those people. I still hear that all the time.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (dcCale)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dcCale &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah i think im gonna use the gsr tranny a had it on my old setup and loved it but have heard alot of talk about the longer gearing in the ls tranny</TD></TR></TABLE>

please do it, then lets get this tread locked.

i think there should be a lock on all these what tranny is best threads. searching provides plenty of information, and they always turn into pissing matches full of inexperienced or ignorant people.

if you wanna find out what tranny to go with:
-get onto a tranny calculator site and do some math as well as playing around.
-take a ride in a car with one and figure it out.
-or just buy one, if you dont like it, sell it and get a different one. ive done it before, we all have, its called trial and error
Old 10-08-2007, 01:09 AM

man ya guys sayin ls tranny must not ever had a gsr in a 400 hp car.