Notices

GSC Turbo Cams Vs 01 ITR Cams... Better spool and 30whp+ Gain...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: GSC Turbo Cams Vs 01 ITR Cams... Better spool and 30whp+ Gain...

Thanks Myles for posting this up and thanks for taking the time to do this.

All Motor thanks for posting that info on turbo profiles looks like we see eye to eye on your statements. Some other things to discuss are fuel types used which will change exhaust profiles.

I must also apologize to Tony 1 when I slapped a name on these I sure didn't mean to make reference to him. It simply is the way we name our cams. oem turbo engines s1 -s4 or stage1, NA oem engines have profiles for an na setup N1/N2 and if we make a turbo profile for that engine we designate the T1/T2 or so on.

Seeing as these are our first release into the Honda market I wanted to make sure that we started with profiles that were nice to valvetrain geometry/harmonics and easy to drop in and make power. I wasn't interested in pushing the envelope on the valvetrain geometry to "show off" aggressive profiles for a select few to produce power at peak rpm with a short reliability or life. All of our cams will "drop in" with only a valve spring change if required. If we do make more aggressive profiles it will require an aftermarket rocker setup as I feel we are at what I feel is a safe and reliable lift curve on the oem piece.

Our cams are ground on a new chill cast iron blank with a high nickel content. No regrinds or induction hardened ductile lobes which have been known to fail or break on the Honda vtec applications.

We will be offering a couple of spring and retainer options for the b-series engines, a beehive setup for the NA setups and a drop in dual spring that can fit the factory retainer or our aftermarket Ti option. These will be ready in about 10-12 weeks.

We are also working on a new cam blank material to make a k-series offering but that won't be ready till late this year.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great info GSC, as far as valve spring requirements for these cams can you give us a little information on that so those of us wanting to purchase the cams know if our current dual valve springs can handle the cams or an upgrade is needed. thank you in advance !
Old 04-02-2012, 06:17 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by GSCMotorsports

All Motor thanks for posting that info on turbo profiles looks like we see eye to eye on your statements. Some other things to discuss are fuel types used which will change exhaust profiles.

I must also apologize to Tony 1 when I slapped a name on these I sure didn't mean to make reference to him. It simply is the way we name our cams. oem turbo engines s1 -s4 or stage1, NA oem engines have profiles for an na setup N1/N2 and if we make a turbo profile for that engine we designate the T1/T2 or so on.

Seeing as these are our first release into the Honda market I wanted to make sure that we started with profiles that were nice to valvetrain geometry/harmonics and easy to drop in and make power. I wasn't interested in pushing the envelope on the valvetrain geometry to "show off" aggressive profiles for a select few to produce power at peak rpm with a short reliability or life. All of our cams will "drop in" with only a valve spring change if required. If we do make more aggressive profiles it will require an aftermarket rocker setup as I feel we are at what I feel is a safe and reliable lift curve on the oem piece.

Our cams are ground on a new chill cast iron blank with a high nickel content. No regrinds or induction hardened ductile lobes which have been known to fail or break on the Honda vtec applications.

We will be offering a couple of spring and retainer options for the b-series engines, a beehive setup for the NA setups and a drop in dual spring that can fit the factory retainer or our aftermarket Ti option. These will be ready in about 10-12 weeks.

We are also working on a new cam blank material to make a k-series offering but that won't be ready till late this year.
Fantastic. Both the Skunk2 and GSC use Chill Cast Iron (good material that wears evenly), and has the same durability and reliability as with my Evolution 8.

I'm very pleased that these have come into the market, I'll be looking more into these for future projects. I already recommend this company highly.

This is a nice refreshing drink of water that the Honda B-series aftermarket needs.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
Great info GSC, as far as valve spring requirements for these cams can you give us a little information on that so those of us wanting to purchase the cams know if our current dual valve springs can handle the cams or an upgrade is needed. thank you in advance !
Yes, this is important information... If you guys could please
Old 04-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GSCMotorsports

Absolutely great information and glad to see another company to add to the list that takes pride in customer service, like myself.

Great things from GSC, Keep it up
Old 04-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Turbo-Ls and Shodan, i will see if i can get Greg to answer that. I would assume most off the shelf dual valve springs should be adequate enough but Assumption is the mother of all ****-ups so let me see if i can ask him.

I know my Supertech dual valve springs are set up at 95lbs seat pressure with a .535 max lift net. These cams have a max lift of about .47X. With that info id say we should be able to figure something out tho lol.

Myles
Old 04-02-2012, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by gringotegra
Turbo-Ls and Shodan, i will see if i can get Greg to answer that. I would assume most off the shelf dual valve springs should be adequate enough but Assumption is the mother of all ****-ups so let me see if i can ask him.

I know my Supertech dual valve springs are set up at 95lbs seat pressure with a .535 max lift net. These cams have a max lift of about .47X. With that info id say we should be able to figure something out tho lol.

Myles
Much obliged
Old 04-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Myles
The typical rule for spring control is 1.5 mm (0.060") > than max lift @50 lbs.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i have JUN valve springs and retainers in my head and would love to know that i dot have to change them. Im pretty sure thespecs on them are between skunk2 tuner and pro series springs i forget the acutal specs

below is specs from RHDjapan website on JUN springs
SPECIFICATIONS:
- B16,B18 -
Diam (mm):
- Outer: 3.7
- Inner: 2.5

Set leng (mm):
- Outer: 24.0
- Inner: 30.0

Lift leng (mm):
- Outer: 22.0
- Inner: 18.0

Set load (kgf): 23.0
Lift load (kgf): 84.9
Old 04-02-2012, 01:27 PM

For those GSC cams, I think you'd be just fine.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After talking to Greg, sounds like he would like to see 90-95psi @ the seat.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So the standard supertech SPR-H1002D's are not adequate?
Old 04-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With my planned build i think im going to switch to these cams. I planned on running the Pro1's (already bought a set waiting on $$ for the supporting valve-train upgrades). But after seeing that these are a little less aggressive then the Pro1's which from the info i've gotten are a tad bit bigger then what i needed(pro1s) for a 5857 turbo set-up. These look like a match made in heaven for the 5857. Also since my build is still a while away i plan on running these cams on my bolt-on NA set-up currently untill the funds come in for the kit and block work.

good luck to you guys with your new products. excited to see the results.

When the new springs/retainer combos come out i might be in the market as well, as i am a fan of matching a company's spring/retainers combos with the same company's cams. What would be a better fit then the spring/retainers that the cams are probably R&D'd with.

Any1 need a set of brand new(never installed) Skunk2 Pro1's hahaha
Old 04-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It depends on the power and boost also. He said if you are going over 30psi and 9000rpm+ he didn't want to see any less than 95psi. Sounded like 80-90psi seat and 8500rpm and less than 25psi, he was ok with. It really kind of varies per car, boost and rpm.

I will see if i can get him in here and have him explain it haha
Old 04-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Natural Aspirations
So the standard supertech SPR-H1002D's are not adequate?
They should be more than enough. I'm running those springs with rsx retainers and my odd cam set-up with 12.7 mm of lift. NP, rev'ing to 9300 rpm.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok well i plan on running 22 psi boost with the JUN springs. @9000-9200rpm or less depending where i build power till

I finally got to listen to the video at idle, been reading and updating on ipad and wouldnt let me watch it so on my descktop right now. Thats sounds mean!!! Makes it sound like an evo almost

Last edited by Turbo-LS; 04-02-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok well i plan on running 22 psi boost with the JUN springs. @9000-9200rpm or less depending where i build power till

I finally got to listen to the video at idle, been reading and updating on ipad and wouldnt let me watch it so on my descktop right now. Thats sounds mean!!! Makes it sound like an evo almost
Thanks man yeah i have to say im in love with how this thing sounds now lol..

Forgot to post this:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....50715995369113

My 689whp/435tq @ 26psi pull
Old 04-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow thats sounds great!! What rpm are you going into vtec? Sounded pretty early and damn did it come alive as soon as went into vtec for sure. mean mean mean cant wait to get these lol
Old 04-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow thats sounds great!! What rpm are you going into vtec? Sounded pretty early and damn did it come alive as soon as went into vtec for sure. mean mean mean cant wait to get these lol
I want to say it is set at 5300ish... It feels good on the street i can say that much hahaha
Old 04-03-2012, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man yeah i have to say im in love with how this thing sounds now lol..

Forgot to post this:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....50715995369113

My 689whp/435tq @ 26psi pull
holy crap sounds like its going to take off.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would be a little scared to run 95lb seat pressures on a street car, but I that's what the cam manufacturer reccomended it's the correct thing to do.

Is there a 1:1 ratio to seat pressure vs manifold pressure (using a 28.7mm valve as an example to make the math simple). So using that would say a 70lb Supertech have an effective seat pressure of 45lbs at 25psi?
Old 04-03-2012, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Natural Aspirations
I would be a little scared to run 95lb seat pressures on a street car, but I that's what the cam manufacturer reccomended it's the correct thing to do.

Is there a 1:1 ratio to seat pressure vs manifold pressure (using a 28.7mm valve as an example to make the math simple). So using that would say a 70lb Supertech have an effective seat pressure of 45lbs at 25psi?
If a honda intake valve is 33 mm then that would be 855.29 mm^2 or 1.325 in^2. At 45 psi, that would be 59.62 lbs acting on the valve. So, that would leave 35.35 lbs at the seat, if the seat pressure is 95 lbs.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I understand that, I was simplifying the math for an example.

Good read:
http://www.magnumpowers.com/light_spring.php
Old 04-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im hoping to get back to the track soon!
Old 04-04-2012, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

How do you think that profile would idle on an LS? Aka turn VTEC on all the time for yourself lol

Quick Reply: GSC Turbo Cams Vs 01 ITR Cams... Better spool and 30whp+ Gain...