Notices

GSC Turbo Cams Vs 01 ITR Cams... Better spool and 30whp+ Gain...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default GSC Turbo Cams Vs 01 ITR Cams... Better spool and 30whp+ Gain...

We use GSC Power-Division cams in all of our Evo/DSM builds and have had amazing results with them. When Greg said he made a Honda cam and needed someone to test them i decided to try them out. It is a little scary throwing something untested in your car lol..

My setup:

Sleeved 84mm GSR
10.5:1 JE pistons
Eagle rods
Supertech Valve springs/Retainers
Ferrea 6000 IN/EX valves
Ferrea Keepers
B16 head
GSC Power-Division Turbo Cams

Victor X intake mani
Stock TB
FIC 2150's
E100 fuel
Stock sumped fuel tank
Twin 255's inline

ETS Forward Facing Turbo manifold
ETS 4x12x24" intercooler
Precision 6262, T3 .82A/R

This was a wastegate vs wastegate pull right about 11.5psi on the log:

Ill let the results speak for themselves..

Before someone says anything about the VTEC crossover, we fixed that later on lol...

The was pretty much as back to back as we could do.

I did not degree the cam's in, but we did mess with the cam gears a bit and no gain was made...

All and all it was worth some spool and about 30-40whp in some areas.

Specs on the cams:

High lobe (IN/EX)
288/276 Duration
260/254@1mm Duration
12mm/11.5mm Peak valve lift
109/115 Center line

http://youtu.be/ZydGoTYZg3Q

http://youtu.be/t1sQzsSvYIs

And if you really work with the cams, you can get them to idle just fine.

http://youtu.be/W9cNY3Y0ksI

Last edited by gringotegra; 11-17-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: GSC Turbo Cams Vs 01 ITR Cams... Better spool and 30whp+ Gain...

Nice results!
Old 03-30-2012, 03:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

never heard of this company before what is their website
Old 03-30-2012, 05:46 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Hahaha. I was wondering when GSC was going to come to the Honda market (Frankly, I'm surprised they cared with all the saturation that the B-series faces already). For a minute I thought they were scared to delve in here since Honda guys have fewer disciples for specific companies than the Evo/DSM fellas and Subaru monkeys. Its interesting to see an alternative to the Skunk2/Web/BC market... DDTECH, watch out, someone's stepping in on your territory man!! On gringotegra's setup I would have expected them to use something a bit more aggressive for such a large turbocharger at such low boost pressure level for those results, but hey.. we're all experimenting here.

*Edit*
From what I'm seeing of these camshafts initial profiles @1mm lift (standard for imports), they are a mild NA cam (in our minds) that are in between a Tuner stage 1 and stage 2, a smaller Web Camshaft, or Crower camshaft, for smaller to mid-ranged turbochargers between 52lbs/min- 61lbs/min. This would be say, for GT3076R, PTE5857, TR3030R, Silver surfer, GTX3071R, etc, for maximum torque band.

GSC says this can't be used for NA, but based upon the information they present, it can, just mild NA. Specifications are below thanks to Natural Aspiration's link. I may inquire as to whether or not these are a steel regrind or not, but we'll see.

High lobe (IN/EX)
288/276 Duration
260/254@1mm Duration
109/115 Center line

GSC aslo states --"Adding valve spring upgrades and even our Ti retainer option are necessary accompanying mod with the T1 camshaft set install. "

Last edited by TheShodan; 10-15-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.power-division.com/home.php
Old 03-30-2012, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn.. i don't want to upgrade my springs/retainers
Old 03-30-2012, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Hahaha. I was wondering when GSC was going to come to the Honda market (Frankly, I'm surprised they cared with all the saturation that the B-series faces already). For a minute I thought they were scared to delve in here since Honda guys have fewer disciples for specific companies than the Evo/DSM fellas and Subaru monkeys. Its interesting to see an alternative to the Skunk2/Web/BC market... DDTECH, watch out, someone's stepping in on your territory man!! On gringotegra's setup I would have expected them to use something a bit more aggressive for such a large turbocharger at such low boost pressure level for those results, but hey.. we're all experimenting here.
Greg has a CNC Cam grinder, and these blanks are Cryo steel billet that he grinds himself. The cool thing is you can call up GSC and actually talk to the guy behind it all, he almost ALWAYS answers the phone. That AND they are made right here in the USA.

He did make 2 NA cams.

N1:
High lobe (IN/EX)
280/276 Duration
246/240@1mm Duration
11.6mm/11.5mm Peak valve lift
104/106 Center line

N2:
High lobe (IN/EX)
296/288 Duration
266/258@1mm Duration
102/104 Center line

We will be testing the N2's on a 200whp Na B-series in a couple months. It currently has SK2 S2's right now.

Greg MIGHT make another turbo cam, no guarantee's on that that tho

I an also say that GSC will be making Valves/Springs/Retainers for B-series motors in the near future. Think they will be a Beehive style with around 95lbs seat pressure...
Old 03-30-2012, 09:33 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Which supertech springs did you run the N1 cam?
Old 03-30-2012, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by gringotegra
Greg has a CNC Cam grinder, and these blanks are Cryo steel billet that he grinds himself. The cool thing is you can call up GSC and actually talk to the guy behind it all, he almost ALWAYS answers the phone. That AND they are made right here in the USA.

He did make 2 NA cams.

N1:
High lobe (IN/EX)
280/276 Duration
246/240@1mm Duration
11.6mm/11.5mm Peak valve lift
104/106 Center line

N2:
High lobe (IN/EX)
296/288 Duration
266/258@1mm Duration
102/104 Center line

We will be testing the N2's on a 200whp Na B-series in a couple months. It currently has SK2 S2's right now.

Greg MIGHT make another turbo cam, no guarantee's on that that tho

I an also say that GSC will be making Valves/Springs/Retainers for B-series motors in the near future. Think they will be a Beehive style with around 95lbs seat pressure...
Gotcha.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Muckman
Which supertech springs did you run the N1 cam?
I think i used their best springs? lol I have my supertech springs set @ 95lbs seat pressure, with max lift of .535 net. The Turbo cams are right around .471 and the N1/N2 cams don't go over that if my math is correct. Greg said he ran a bunch of tests and it sounded like anything over .500 lift the stock rocker arms became unhappy...? I guess you could call that the easy explanation lol
Old 03-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

these blanks are Cryo steel billet
i like this part. aftermarket cams have always made me nervous due to how many seem to snap
Old 03-30-2012, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by racebum
i like this part. aftermarket cams have always made me nervous due to how many seem to snap
Thats what puts me off to. I had a JUN3 intake cam snap on me I wasn't happy....
Old 03-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Out of the 100's of set's of Evo/DSM cams we have personally installed, we have never had one break.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats good
Old 03-30-2012, 11:32 AM

Breakage is typically from setting the belts and other areas too tight. Basically installation error. Some are more sensitive than others. I've never seen a GSC break in the Evolution and Subarus I've worked with. But, they were also installed correctly, too.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hhhmmm proven performance, history of durability, and awesome price. May have to grab a set of these.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Breakage is typically from setting the belts and other areas too tight. Basically installation error. Some are more sensitive than others. I've never seen a GSC break in the Evolution and Subarus I've worked with. But, they were also installed correctly, too.
How do you like them in Evo's and Subaru's?

We tested some GSC S2's vs HKS 272's a few months back and it was a 30-40whp gain all over....
Old 03-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

better spool and 30+ hp switching from OEM ALL MOTOR cams to cams properly profiled for a forced induction car....you dont say... lol its about time I saw a post where someone had a proper cam setup.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Spawne32
better spool and 30+ hp switching from OEM ALL MOTOR cams to cams properly profiled for a forced induction car....you dont say... lol its about time I saw a post where someone had a proper cam setup.
LOL, the thing is the ITR cams work so WELL! I gained about 40whp from ITR cams over GSR cams a couple years ago... It was a good baseline test, thats why i did it...
Old 03-30-2012, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL, the thing is the ITR cams work so WELL! I gained about 40whp from ITR cams over GSR cams a couple years ago... It was a good baseline test, thats why i did it...
Well heres the thing that people dont seem to realize...you use a bigger cam...yes, you are going to gain more power in GENERAL, but will you be gaining efficient power? Look at how much room for growth you had with a proper profile, thats the kind of results I would come to expect from a proper cam setup. You gained a **** ton of boost efficiency in the high rpm's.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol.. that profile looks vaguely familiar.

That cam profile just goes show a proper turbo cam will do better then an na profile.
I just did a few turbo profiles for some guys who were running odd ball cam combos. Just insane cams and i preached that in higher rpms and boost levels you will start losing efficent and boost which in turn will lose power. Turbo cars like a beefy intake cam with a tall exhaust, but not much duration on the Exhaust
Old 03-30-2012, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by ALL M0T0R
Lol.. that profile looks vaguely familiar.

That cam profile just goes show a proper turbo cam will do better then an na profile.
I just did a few turbo profiles for some guys who were running odd ball cam combos. Just insane cams and i preached that in higher rpms and boost levels you will start losing efficent and boost which in turn will lose power. Turbo cars like a beefy intake cam with a tall exhaust, but not much duration on the Exhaust
Interesting.. please give more info based upon the ramp angles you're seeing from yours and other camshafts compared to the GSCs.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On my phone at the airpoort, but when i gey home ill be happy to explain what ive seen work
Old 03-30-2012, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Interesting.. please give more info based upon the ramp angles you're seeing from yours and other camshafts compared to the GSCs.

From what I have done these past few months with turbo setups was always run a Beefy intake cam in lift and duration with a decently aggressive ramp rate.
The exhaust cam was tall, but duration was kept under 275ish, ramp rates weren't as aggressive as the intake.

I've had lots of guys call me up, and explain what "great" success they've had with odd ball setups like a Toda A intake, with a Toda C exhaust. At 10lbs only revving to 8k, that might be OK. But pushing 20 psi and 9.5K+ rpm, you're going to start blowing boost out the other side, not to mention the whole NA cars make power on Duration, This isn't the full case with Turbo cars. Turbo cars like Lots of Lift, with a good amount of duration, but nothing by which of a NA car.

Its just like how i would profile a Supercharge / Nitrous cam. The SC/NOS setups need a HUGE exhaust cam.. and a decently profiled intake. People running these outrageous NA cams on SC setups or Nitrous setups aren't making as much power efficiently as they could. SC/NOS setups produce a "****-TON" of exhaust gases and that in turn, if not expelled fast enough, can hinder alot of power.

ITR cams are a great bases for turbo cams.. why? Because the INT is a good size, while the exhaust is really a well designed, but smaller cam.

GSC is on the right track, infact, if he makes another turbo profile and follows the logic I think he's following it should be a very well profiled cam and produce literally a ton of power. There's a certain amount of logic that needs to be followed when making power and people think sometimes going out of the norm is a good thing.. its sometimes not.

Most of the time, people forget how much really goes into designing a cam. Ramp angle, when the valve actually starts to move, a gradual angle is better then just slamming them open.. Ramp speed determining how *fast*the valve moves off the seat to the point of maximum lift and back down onto the seat again.. these things are what make a seemly "less" cam profile, perform better.

There's literally thousands of profiles that can work on a turbo setup, but its following a small logic that really makes them excel.
The following users liked this post:
Old 03-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ALL M0T0R
From what I have done these past few months with turbo setups was always run a Beefy intake cam in lift and duration with a decently aggressive ramp rate.
The exhaust cam was tall, but duration was kept under 275ish, ramp rates weren't as aggressive as the intake.

I've had lots of guys call me up, and explain what "great" success they've had with odd ball setups like a Toda A intake, with a Toda C exhaust. At 10lbs only revving to 8k, that might be OK. But pushing 20 psi and 9.5K+ rpm, you're going to start blowing boost out the other side, not to mention the whole NA cars make power on Duration, This isn't the full case with Turbo cars. Turbo cars like Lots of Lift, with a good amount of duration, but nothing by which of a NA car.

Its just like how i would profile a Supercharge / Nitrous cam. The SC/NOS setups need a HUGE exhaust cam.. and a decently profiled intake. People running these outrageous NA cams on SC setups or Nitrous setups aren't making as much power efficiently as they could. SC/NOS setups produce a "****-TON" of exhaust gases and that in turn, if not expelled fast enough, can hinder alot of power.

ITR cams are a great bases for turbo cams.. why? Because the INT is a good size, while the exhaust is really a well designed, but smaller cam.

GSC is on the right track, infact, if he makes another turbo profile and follows the logic I think he's following it should be a very well profiled cam and produce literally a ton of power. There's a certain amount of logic that needs to be followed when making power and people think sometimes going out of the norm is a good thing.. its sometimes not.

FI cars need LIFT, not a ****-ton of duration
SC/NOS cars need a TON of exhaust cam, and a decent INT
NA cars need a ****-TON of Duration combined with lift
Hey im going to print this out on a big poster board for NA and we can present it to him with a bow at honda day.

Quick Reply: GSC Turbo Cams Vs 01 ITR Cams... Better spool and 30whp+ Gain...