Notices

greddy type s?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default greddy type s?

ive search for a while and cant find any pics of these things hooked up.if not pics can someone tell me what i should do with these things?
Old 12-21-2005, 10:19 PM

Default Re: greddy type s? (nekoabandoned)

largest opening is where the pretty whoosh sound comes out of, leave it open. the upper nipple is the signal line T it into your FPR line or any IM line. the lower nipple is a vent for the diaphragm inside the BOV leave it open.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: greddy type s? (nekoabandoned)

Here's mine:

Old 12-21-2005, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: greddy type s? (diet rite)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by diet rite &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">largest opening is where the pretty whoosh sound comes out of, leave it open. the upper nipple is the signal line T it into your FPR line or any IM line. the lower nipple is a vent for the diaphragm inside the BOV leave it open.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-22-2005, 05:09 AM

Default Re: greddy type s? (synik)

yeah the top skinny port goes to a vacuume sorce and if you want you could either leave the large port open or run a hose from it to the intake and recirculate it. Most just leave it open for the sexy sound
Old 12-22-2005, 06:23 AM

i was wondering the same things
Old 12-22-2005, 06:32 AM

Default Re: (wdstkd16)

actually:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=206376

after reading that and a couple of more that said the same,i went ahead and tapped my charge pipe right after the turbo and connect a line from there to the bottom nipple of the bov.

worked like a charm
Old 12-22-2005, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you study how the valve is engineered, you'll realize that the bottom port can be used as a boost assist feature, if you hook it up the way I have mine set up, during boost both ports are pressurized, when the throttle plate is closed, for that instant, there will be a greater pressure differential between the two sides if one side is exposed to vacuum and the other to boost pressure.

Old 12-22-2005, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boondock Saint)

Ive read threads like this over and over, and wanting to tap the lower line into a boost source, but never got a chance to. -=P

Any gains from doing this? Or should I say, benefits?
Old 12-22-2005, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (synik)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by synik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ive read threads like this over and over, and wanting to tap the lower line into a boost source, but never got a chance to. -=P

Any gains from doing this? Or should I say, benefits? </TD></TR></TABLE>

On my TB I have a port that is pre-TB plate... so i ran my boost source from there... bov response was 100% better. I could also tighten it down more and still get good response.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by synik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ive read threads like this over and over, and wanting to tap the lower line into a boost source, but never got a chance to. -=P

Any gains from doing this? Or should I say, benefits? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I used to get quite a bit of compressor surge no matter how loosely I tried to adjust the BOV, after I started experimenting with this bottom port, I have heard surge maybe twice in the last 3-4 years. It definitely works.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Re: (splitime)

smaller turbo's like what come on stock dsm's and stuff can use that top nipple and leave the bottome vented....but on a bigger aftermarket turbo like a t3/t04e for example, you will need to run that lower nipple to a chargepipe, otherwise it will compressor surge then blow off...so to get rid of the compressor surge you need to tap the chargepipe somewhere and run it to the lower one
Old 12-22-2005, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any doubters out there should just pull the valve, sit down at your kitchen table and fully disassemble it, study what's going on above and below the diaphragm, you'll then understand how and why this works.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:03 PM

makes alot of sense....I forgot I had it that way on my GSX 10,000 years ago..I also bought a small K&N to cover the discharge port because i'm paranoid about dirt getting in the engine (the valve is open sucking in air the whole time you are not boosting).

PS you guys think you could just tap into the nipple on the compressor outlet that runs to the wastegate(integral gate) for the lower nipple on the type S? It also might let your boost spike for a little bit since the whole line has to pressurize before the wastegate gets a signal, (not as bad thing for us small turbo guys)
Old 12-22-2005, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (diet rite)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boondock Saint &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any doubters out there should just pull the valve, sit down at your kitchen table and fully disassemble it, study what's going on above and below the diaphragm, you'll then understand how and why this works.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think that routing would acutally help all the issues with the Type-S. Doing some math, it has about 1.5 in^2 area, meaning 10-20 pounds pressing on the valve on most applications. The extra spring preload you'd require would also help with preventing it from venting when not boosting. Not only that, but you'd be decreasing wear on the known high-wear part, the rubber diaphram. During boost, the top port puts whatever psi you run onto one side of the rubber. With both ports pressurized, there's a net force of zero put onto the diaphram. The pressure differential is present during vacuum either way you hook it up, so thats not an added issue.

For the idea above (Boondock Saint), I'd have to say absolutely NO, assuming you mean making the connection from the WG port to the lower Type-S port. The lower port on the Type-S is completely sealed besides the little vent tube - it's not interally hooked up to any chargepipe or intake manifold vacuum.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boondock Saint &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I used to get quite a bit of compressor surge no matter how loosely I tried to adjust the BOV, after I started experimenting with this bottom port, I have heard surge maybe twice in the last 3-4 years. It definitely works.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good stuff, I will need to try this. Im having the same problem, compressor surge is my main concern now too. ( I can feel the air pushing back out through the intake piping on the compressor side) tut tut stutter like sound.

I will try this out tomorrow, I will let you guys know if it does help
( this may be the reason that my compressor seal is leaking a little oil? )
Old 12-23-2005, 01:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That makes sense to me as well....
Old 12-23-2005, 05:42 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boondock Saint &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any doubters out there should just pull the valve, sit down at your kitchen table and fully disassemble it, study what's going on above and below the diaphragm, you'll then understand how and why this works.</TD></TR></TABLE>
But the same vacuume sorce that you have on the top port is pressurized and to a boost source too. so couldn't you just T the line you have going to the top port and plug it into the bottom port too?
Old 12-23-2005, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hyaboosta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hyaboosta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But the same vacuume sorce that you have on the top port is pressurized and to a boost source too. so couldn't you just T the line you have going to the top port and plug it into the bottom port too?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, that wouldn't work. This concept works on the principle of increased pressure differential. Pressure to the top port should come from the intake manifold, pressure to the bottom port should come from somewhere in the upper IC pipe, the closer to the compressor outlet, the better. Think of it this way, when the throttle plate slams shut, the top port will see vacuum almost instantly, for that moment there is still positive pressure at the bottom port. This is what will cause the valve to open more quickly.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:00 AM

Good info!
Old 12-23-2005, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the top port plugged and the bottom with the vac line. It works fine for me, for some reason I recall reading that was the correct way. Guess I need to try it the other way and see.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so the lesson today is to hook that lower nipple into the charge piping?
Old 12-23-2005, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (undercoverdc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by undercoverdc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so the lesson today is to hook that lower nipple into the charge piping?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Easiest way to think of it is this.

Top port gets vac source after TB.
Bottom port gets vac source before TB and after turbo.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (splitime)

can you t into the vac line from the wastegate to the compressor housing?