Notices

Greddy turbo kits

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greddy turbo kits

I have a 2000 ls integra and am considering going the turbo route. Because I live in California Greddys Carb sticker is very appealing which is why I would like to go with a kit instead of piecing my set up together. My questions are does this kit really come with EVERYTHING needed for a complete install to be running properly, and does adding the Intercooler make the kit no longer smog legal. I know that using hondata or chrome would be best but I plan on doing that down the road because of money issues, and just wanted to make shure that greddys piggy back comes with a tune already on it until I get Hondata. Also what else would be needed for the setup to run safely and reliably on a daily basis.
Thanks in Advance
Old 08-16-2006, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Greddy turbo kits (slow_ls)

bump
Old 08-16-2006, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not 100% on this, but I dont think the greddy kits are still legal in California, Best thing to do is probably try to run a sleeper setup so you never get asked to pop your hood.

The greddy kit does come with everything to run the setup but in that form it doesnt really add that much power, so you might be disappointed. Your also going to have to weld a return line in your oil pan.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:17 PM

Well, I have 00 LS, I put Greddy kit on it with the intercooler. There was a number of problems.....modified intake a bit for it to fit, had to get bigger injectors(the ones in the kit are too small), walbro fuel pump, gauges, then money for tuning.....computer sometimes spits out codes that all of my cyl. are misfiring which is BS. : /, Had to cut block a bit to fit the turbo. I am pretty much satisfied with the kit..... but you WILL end up spending about 4000$..... just letting you know : /
Old 08-16-2006, 10:20 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow_ls &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump</TD></TR></TABLE>
You will only have to drill the hole, thats it, no welding.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Greddy turbo kits (moops vs moors)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by moops vs moors &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
eManage is complete junk and will give you enough problems to make you regret going turbo, until you realize the only real problem lies with the eManage.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have to disagree with you about the emanage. Yeah its a piggy back and has limitations on certain things, but they work great if you know what your doing and how to use it properly. Im not saying it should be the first choice, but they are a great option for people that are obd-2 and have to deal with smog and obd-2 plugins.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Greddy turbo kits (SiR99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiR99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im not 100% on this, but I dont think the greddy kits are still legal in California, Best thing to do is probably try to run a sleeper setup so you never get asked to pop your hood.

The greddy kit does come with everything to run the setup but in that form it doesnt really add that much power, so you might be disappointed. Your also going to have to weld a return line in your oil pan.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Greddy kits ARE legal and have been for quite some time in California. The last I heard, the intercooler was PENDING approval, but that was a while ago. It should be all approved by now.

The statement about needing larger injectors and a fuel pump is crap. 100% crap. The 310's will be enough to push about 8psi or so depending on the tune with no problems. If you want to go more, THEN you would want to upgrade your injectors. Again, this will depend on the tune. Its generally accepted that anything beyond 80% duty cycle is a cause for concern to upgrade the injectors. The fuel pump I still can't see unless you have some REAL large injectors. I run 550's on my single cam setup using a stock fuel pump with no issues whatsoever. Why people insist on cramming the largest of everything they can into thier car, I don't know.

As for the power its going to make, saying a Greddy kit doesn't make good power is a line of crap. An 18G turbo is no small turbo. While it may not be as "cool" as your external wastegated T3/T4 setup, it will still make very respectable numbers if you give it the chance.

The CEL's you are getting are from the craptastic blue box. My advice... Don't mess with the blue box or the emanage. Say how great the emanage is all you want, its still not a true stand alone system. Your tapping into the stock ECU an essentially "tricking" the ECU into seeing something else via the emanage. Run something like Hondata or Crome and you will have NO issues with CEL or anything else.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by moops vs moors &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you add a BOV and/or an intercooler (both are very necessary) it will void the CARB #.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Funny you say this since the intercooler is also carb certified. While I wont agree that the BOV is completely necessary.... Think about this, what they can't SEE won't fail you on emissions testing. Hide the BOV in the fender coming off the intercooler charge pipe and you are golden. There are ways to play the California smog game. Don't just assume that because something isn't certified that there is no way it can pass. BOV's won't effect tail pipe emissions.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Greddy turbo kits (Hybrid93Eg)

what about the ultimate emanage?? I would get that if you want to stay obd2. A lot better than blue box and regular emanage, and it should be the equivalent to Hondata.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by moops vs moors &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

eManage ultimate is still a piggyback hack, just with more bells and whistles and (gasp) datalogging.

don't mess around with any of that ****. I am OBDIIb and have tried the AFC Hack, Greddy blue box, emanage, and a vortech FMU, all on the same turbo setup (not at the same time ). I now run a chipped OBDI P06 with a boomslang conv. harness and uberdata and won't ever look back. I used to be one of those "eManage CAN work" guys...yeah it probably can eventually with hundreds of hours of tuning.....

Why not use a reprogrammed Honda ECU and let your ECU actually know boost is present? That way all your accessories work flawlessly also. For less money than all those hacks, you can have a chipped OBDI up and running. Chipped P06's go for as low as $65, then add a conversion harness and you're barely over $100 for something that is way more stable than those piggy back hacks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hundreds of hours? Hardly. I'm not in favor of the emanage but it gets more credit then that from me. It should from you as well.