Notices

GReddy Turbo kit with AEM EMS ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GReddy Turbo kit with AEM EMS ?

Right now I have the GReddy GSR turbo kit with the Blue Box from GReddy, I was interested to see if anyone has used the AEM EMS with the Greddy Turbo kit, and just replaced the blue box. IF anyone has numbers or dyno sheets on the GReddy kit with a AEM EMS that would be great. Anyone with info please post.

Right now I am at 8psi and have 198 WHP (dynojet) I would like to keep around 8Psi for now, but am looking into tuning correctly and making more power with the same boost.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2004, 12:05 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Honestly. Go E-manage. Cheaper, Good integration of your current setup.. We've used 2 of them, and they're awesome. Just my nickel.

You go AEM EMS, you might as well get a whole new kit.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TheShodan)

Thanks for the input, is there anyone who has seen/done GReddy turbo kit with AEM EMS ?
Old 02-24-2004, 12:52 PM

buying a EMS system for a greddy kit at 8psi is just a waste of money. That is way over kill for what you need at this point in time. I also happen to 100% disagree with the E-manage comment. From what most have posted and reviewed the thing is a POS and terrible to work with. You could search and find your answer, but ill serve as your search engine.

Option #1: AFC: The afc will trick your map sensor into not seeing boost and you can control your fuel to a degree. It is not the most accurate tuning device but is easy to use and fairly straight forward. It would most likely be a nice setup up from the blue box, but still doesnt control your ignition timing.

Option #2: Hondata. This device is about $400-500 with the boost option. You have to get it tuned professionally which should cost you another $150-200. This device will actually set specific values of fuel to through the ECU. It is basically just modifying your ECU's Fuel table to a fuel table with extra columns for boost. the same goes for ignition timing. This device has proven its self to be a great tuning utility

Option #3: Uberdata. Uberdata is the cheap version of hondata. It lacks the lambda log and the RTP but the software is free and you can basically get a decent tune for about $150 if you can get the basic concepts down. All in all it will serve your purpose very nicely as well.

Those are your options as far as i can see it.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b18b1hmtlove)

Is there anyone with either AEM EMS or HONDATA that can show me a dyno sheet with the GReddy kit ?
Old 03-01-2004, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94mugenintegra)

My car sucks. running too righ and i dont know why. during tuning it runs scary fast. using OEM O2 sensors all I get is black smoke under boost. I should be making 250 WHP easy.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.houston-imports.com...=sohc

SOHC POWA!
Old 03-07-2004, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vietjdmboi)

I need GSR numbers, if anyone has them.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:44 AM

Default Re: GReddy Turbo kit with AEM EMS ? (94mugenintegra)

You're going to have a hard time finding anyone that has done it because of the simple fact that the greddy kit is a small/inexpensive kit, and the AEM is a big/expensive EMS. The greddy kit doesn't need all of the bells and whistles that AEM provides. People running the AEM EMS will generally have built motors and big turbos.

Good Luck.
Old 03-07-2004, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b18b1hmtlove)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18b1hmtlove &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">buying a EMS system for a greddy kit at 8psi is just a waste of money.

That is way over kill for what you need at this point in time. I also happen to 100% disagree with the E-manage comment. From what most have posted and reviewed the thing is a POS and terrible to work with. You could search and find your answer, but ill serve as your search engine.

Option #1: AFC: The afc will trick your map sensor into not seeing boost and you can control your fuel to a degree. It is not the most accurate tuning device but is easy to use and fairly straight forward. It would most likely be a nice setup up from the blue box, but still doesnt control your ignition timing.

Option #2: Hondata. This device is about $400-500 with the boost option. You have to get it tuned professionally which should cost you another $150-200. This device will actually set specific values of fuel to through the ECU. It is basically just modifying your ECU's Fuel table to a fuel table with extra columns for boost. the same goes for ignition timing. This device has proven its self to be a great tuning utility

Option #3: Uberdata. Uberdata is the cheap version of hondata. It lacks the lambda log and the RTP but the software is free and you can basically get a decent tune for about $150 if you can get the basic concepts down. All in all it will serve your purpose very nicely as well.

Those are your options as far as i can see it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with almost everything you say except the first sentence. The Greddy kit is no Full Race, but with the fast spool it needs good tuning in the lower RPM because the engine could be in boost (or not) at any RPM. I must say I am biased toward the AEM because I have one, but I'm more in favor of good tuning over any particular brand.

option #1: still dosent retard timing..

option #2: the base s200 hondata will cost $700 for an OBDII car. +325 more if you want datalogging and 2+3 step limiters.

option #3: You will also need a borrow laptop, rom burner, and wideband to tune this right, I dont know of any shops that support this now.

~$1000 is a lot for an ECU, but it can be a step up. Once you start replacing those greddy parts one at a time and upgrading, a quick tune will get you running.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (salt)

http://www.boosted-hybrid.com/viewtopic.php?t=28

Not a gsr but gives you a idea of what it's capable of even at a very conservative tune
Old 03-16-2004, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (roydogg)

Sounds good, i will think about it.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:14 PM
New User

Default Re: (94mugenintegra)

I ran my AEM EMS on the Greddy kit. I had a Civic EX at the time (this was over a year ago). The EMS was great--mind you I had a SOHC VTEC, not a twin-cam GSR setup! 193whp at 7psi of boost. For all those doubting, doubt not! It definitely is a great setup. 550cc/min injectors, Walbro intank, no FMU. Ran like a champ!

In fact, I'm selling my 30-1010... so if ya want it...
Old 03-26-2004, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PyroVTEC)

Thanks
Old 03-26-2004, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for stock boost on the Greddy kit you can even just get an fmu / inline / and a used AFC and you'll still be fine
Old 03-26-2004, 07:19 PM

Here's my advice...

option #1: If you have bigger plans, i.e., Bigger turbo/more hp goals, I would buy it because then you dont ever have to worry about management.....youll have one of the best and proven ecu's available for turbo applications.

option #2: If you plan on stay with your greddy kit at 8psi, I would get uberdata. From what I have readabout it, it is very similiar to hondata but without a few of the features that it has, and it can give you a really nice tune, and uberdata software is free and chip burning equipment isnt that expensive.

Just my $.02

Jon